Author Topic: Becoming a Catechumen  (Read 662 times)

Offline Mokek Kwe

Becoming a Catechumen
« on: September 09, 2012, 11:48:34 PM »
I spoke briefly with my priest today (I've attended 3 Vespers services and 2 Liturgy services up until now) about becoming a catechumen.

We didn't have much time to speak, and it was difficult for me to understand what he said with everything going on around us. I'm going to ask him again, for clarification, but, from you good people- what can I expect to happen? I have not seen these things happen before.
Baptized with my husband and our four year old daughter on May 4, 2013

Offline OrthoNoob

• OC.net guru
Re: Becoming a Catechumen
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 01:18:59 AM »
I spoke briefly with my priest today (I've attended 3 Vespers services and 2 Liturgy services up until now) about becoming a catechumen.

We didn't have much time to speak, and it was difficult for me to understand what he said with everything going on around us. I'm going to ask him again, for clarification, but, from you good people- what can I expect to happen? I have not seen these things happen before.

I just became a catechumen last week. Basically, at some point during the service (for me it was Sunday Liturgy, but I've also heard of people being received to the catechumenate at Vespers), probably near the end, the priest will call you to the front of the nave. He will then pray some prayers over you, asking God to unite you to the Church, to remove far from you your former delusion, etc.

Then you're a catechumen! So far, not much has changed for me day-to-day, but soon catechism classes will start up, and then I imagine I'll be busy until they end in, I think, April.
http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »
My priest explained the difference as being like dating vs. getting engaged. When you become a catechumen, you are serious. Practically speaking, nothing much else changes.
Oh, except you do get an Orthodox funeral.
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline Mokek Kwe

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 12:01:32 AM »
My priest explained the difference as being like dating vs. getting engaged. When you become a catechumen, you are serious. Practically speaking, nothing much else changes.

And that wasn't something I'd even thought about. 

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 12:03:37 AM »
Some priests don't do the formal process of making a catechumen. I had already been meeting with my priest for a while when he told me I was a catechumen.

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 12:18:24 AM »
Some priests don't do the formal process of making a catechumen. I had already been meeting with my priest for a while when he told me I was a catechumen.

Same here.

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 09:33:12 AM »

And that wasn't something I'd even thought about. 

Well, it is a "perk" of being a catechumen!  ;)
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »
But hopefully not right away  ;D!

Offline Mokek Kwe

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 02:41:21 PM »
But hopefully not right away  ;D!
LOL ;)