OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 11:49:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Becoming a Catechumen  (Read 424 times) Average Rating: 0
Mokek Kwe

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: September 09, 2012, 11:48:34 PM »

I spoke briefly with my priest today (I've attended 3 Vespers services and 2 Liturgy services up until now) about becoming a catechumen.

We didn't have much time to speak, and it was difficult for me to understand what he said with everything going on around us. I'm going to ask him again, for clarification, but, from you good people- what can I expect to happen? I have not seen these things happen before.

Baptized with my husband and our four year old daughter on May 4, 2013
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 01:18:59 AM »

I spoke briefly with my priest today (I've attended 3 Vespers services and 2 Liturgy services up until now) about becoming a catechumen.

We didn't have much time to speak, and it was difficult for me to understand what he said with everything going on around us. I'm going to ask him again, for clarification, but, from you good people- what can I expect to happen? I have not seen these things happen before.

I just became a catechumen last week. Basically, at some point during the service (for me it was Sunday Liturgy, but I've also heard of people being received to the catechumenate at Vespers), probably near the end, the priest will call you to the front of the nave. He will then pray some prayers over you, asking God to unite you to the Church, to remove far from you your former delusion, etc.

Then you're a catechumen! So far, not much has changed for me day-to-day, but soon catechism classes will start up, and then I imagine I'll be busy until they end in, I think, April.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »

My priest explained the difference as being like dating vs. getting engaged. When you become a catechumen, you are serious. Practically speaking, nothing much else changes.
Oh, except you do get an Orthodox funeral.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Mokek Kwe

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 12:01:32 AM »

My priest explained the difference as being like dating vs. getting engaged. When you become a catechumen, you are serious. Practically speaking, nothing much else changes.

And that wasn't something I'd even thought about. 

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 12:03:37 AM »

Some priests don't do the formal process of making a catechumen. I had already been meeting with my priest for a while when he told me I was a catechumen.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 12:18:24 AM »

Some priests don't do the formal process of making a catechumen. I had already been meeting with my priest for a while when he told me I was a catechumen.

Same here.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 09:33:12 AM »

And that wasn't something I'd even thought about. 

Well, it is a "perk" of being a catechumen!  Wink

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »

But hopefully not right away  Grin!
Mokek Kwe

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 02:41:21 PM »

But hopefully not right away  Grin!
LOL Wink

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: