OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 09:22:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What kind of "supernatural" type of things have you witnessed in the EO church?  (Read 1231 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« on: September 09, 2012, 08:18:20 PM »

In the driving out demons thread, I talked about an event where a possessed man turned the church dark.  I've also seen some weeping icons....

I'm wondering what events that are considered "supernatural" etc., have you witnessed.
I know there are things like the transmutation of the Eucharist, which is indeed, holy and from God. 

But I'm asking in the terms of PHYSICALLY SEEING an angel, demon, a saint, ghost, etc.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »

ghost

We believe in ghosts too?
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:09:44 PM »

In the driving out demons thread, I talked about an event where a possessed man turned the church dark.  I've also seen some weeping icons....

I'm wondering what events that are considered "supernatural" etc., have you witnessed.
I know there are things like the transmutation of the Eucharist, which is indeed, holy and from God.  

But I'm asking in the terms of PHYSICALLY SEEING an angel, demon, a saint, ghost, etc.

I am on the Old Calendar due to an event that occurred before an Icon of the Theotokos.  I was attending a New Calendar parish on one of the Feasts of the Theotokos.  The priest's wife and I were standing in front of her icon trying to light a votive lamp.  It would not light in spite of our efforts.  The priest's wife shook here head and stated "How unfortunate, and during her Feast" and left.  A sudden feeling came over me and I looked at the Icon and said "It is not really your Feast, is it".  I promised her then that I would celebrate her Feasts on the proper day from then on.  The candle lit immediately thereafter.  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:10:13 PM by Punch » Logged

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »

Probably ghost in the sense of spirit?
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:29:16 PM »

In the driving out demons thread, I talked about an event where a possessed man turned the church dark.  I've also seen some weeping icons....

I am on the Old Calendar due to an event that occurred before an Icon of the Theotokos.  I was attending a New Calendar parish on one of the Feasts of the Theotokos.  The priest's wife and I were standing in front of her icon trying to light a votive lamp.  It would not light in spite of our efforts.  The priest's wife shook here head and stated "How unfortunate, and during her Feast" and left.  A sudden feeling came over me and I looked at the Icon and said "It is not really your Feast, is it".  I promised her then that I would celebrate her Feasts on the proper day from then on.  The candle lit immediately thereafter.  

Wow!!!!!!  Glad I follow the Old Calendar.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:29:41 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 12:48:06 AM »

I've read we do believe in ghosts to an extent. Some hauntings are just devils masquerading as the departed and are in need of an exorcism.  However in cases where exorcisms have not worked, services for the repose of the dead are read. This is because some of the paranormal activity we witness today is really just souls in need of prayer trying to get someone's attention. According to the article I read on this, such things are far more common in the west than in Orthodox lands where it is more common to pray for the repose of the departed. In the west, especially in lands like the US there are a greater proportion of needy souls who have no one to pray for them. Still, if I understood what I read correctly, the basic practice is to first do exorcisms …a few times and if the apparition/spirit/haunting is not stilled then it is taken that this is a soul in need of prayer and after a service or two of this sort the situation tends to be resolved.

While I have not seen a miraculous icon in a church I have seen one in private home…one investigated and observed by his late eminence Archbishop Dimitri. It started with a misty spot on an icon that started small but grew day by day until it covered the icon and then began to appear on icons near it on the home altar.  When taken to the church the misting/condensation would soon slow then stop but begin again when returned home. Vladyka reasoned that it was meant as a personal blessing for that family corresponding to some need/issue in their home. It lasted several months and when that issue (there was one) was resolved it has not occurred since to my knowledge..if so I've not been informed of it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:50:27 AM by Seraphim98 » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 03:47:32 AM »

Fascinating Smiley

It reminds me about this story.
http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2011/08/holy-snakes-of-kefallonia-and-calendar.html

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 05:56:53 AM »

Ok, so sometimes lamps don't light, so what?

I have heard of some miracles in Greece that happen every year according to the New Calendar. How do you explain that?

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 07:15:06 AM »

I've never seen anything supernatural in my parish.

On a side note,
I am on the Old Calendar due to an event that occurred before an Icon of the Theotokos.  I was attending a New Calendar parish on one of the Feasts of the Theotokos.  The priest's wife and I were standing in front of her icon trying to light a votive lamp.  It would not light in spite of our efforts.  The priest's wife shook here head and stated "How unfortunate, and during her Feast" and left.  A sudden feeling came over me and I looked at the Icon and said "It is not really your Feast, is it".  I promised her then that I would celebrate her Feasts on the proper day from then on.  The candle lit immediately thereafter.

Im shocked that on top of praying for us the Theotokos has the free time to check a calendar.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 08:30:56 AM »

I used to be skeptical. That changed on the day that I was very close to death as my lungs were filling up due to congestive heart failure. I saw my mother and son (both having passed on earlier) about eight feet away from me. I saw them standing and looking at me twice. I saw them as I normally see anyone at that distance.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:32:16 AM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 09:39:47 AM »

On a side note,
I am on the Old Calendar due to an event that occurred before an Icon of the Theotokos.  I was attending a New Calendar parish on one of the Feasts of the Theotokos.  The priest's wife and I were standing in front of her icon trying to light a votive lamp.  It would not light in spite of our efforts.  The priest's wife shook here head and stated "How unfortunate, and during her Feast" and left.  A sudden feeling came over me and I looked at the Icon and said "It is not really your Feast, is it".  I promised her then that I would celebrate her Feasts on the proper day from then on.  The candle lit immediately thereafter.

Im shocked that on top of praying for us the Theotokos has the free time to check a calendar.

PP

She probably just doesn't like the division the calendar change has brought.

My priest was replacing the pre-sanctified gifts that is kept on the altar table all year until Pascha when he replaces it with one from the Pascha we just celebrated. He opened the box and showed me the body and blood of Christ and there was absolutely no signs of corruption and it looked like it had just been placed there.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 10:21:33 AM »

Typical stuff over the years: Several different myrrh-streaming Icons, all of which streamed profusely when an Akathist, Paraklesis, or Moleben was prayed before them; the myrrh-streaming relics of St. Demetrios of Thessaloniki; and many other myrrhing relics, including those at Hellenic College/Holy Cross in Brookline. My favorite there was always St. Paisios of Kefallonia (+1888). After venerating his relics, my moustache would remain fragrant for several hours, sometimes a day.

In all cases, the olfactory and spiritual impact is the same. It is called the "scent of the Holy Spirit," at least in popular speech.

P.S. Also people being healed after anointing with holy myrrh from various Icons.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:23:27 AM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 10:23:42 AM »

The OP did not ask me to comment on supposed things that happen in Greece.  It asked to recount things that I have witnessed.  

Ok, so sometimes lamps don't light, so what?

I have heard of some miracles in Greece that happen every year according to the New Calendar. How do you explain that?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:29:41 AM by Punch » Logged

Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 10:28:31 AM »

I don't think she needs to check a calendar.  She already knows who's feast it is today as all of heaven is celebrating with the Church on Earth.  BTW - greetings on the commemoration of the beheading of St. John the Baptist, as well as the commemoration of all Orthodox soldiers killed on the battlefield.

On a side note,

PP

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »

Folks, I am going to have to start warning folks for going off topic. Y'all should know the rules:

* Keep Threads on Target -- For the forum-challenged, a thread is a sequence of postings, or messages, related to a primary topic.  For purposes of continuity and consistency, please keep ALL threads on target to their original purpose.  If you want to deviate, start a new thread.

* Contain Conflict --  With religious discussion, disagreement is inevitable.  Please be civil and keep conflict (provided it's on topic) within the thread it was posted in.  If your conflict seems to be taking a thread off of its course, please start a new one.

Second Chance

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »

I used to be skeptical. That changed on the day that I was very close to death as my lungs were filling up due to congestive heart failure. I saw my mother and son (both having passed on earlier) about eight feet away from me. I saw them standing and looking at me twice. I saw them as I normally see anyone at that distance.

Ergo, "Second Chance". Got it; very good.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 10:00:23 PM »

That is amazing.

My Father witnessed my Grandmother (his mother) actually leave her body (minutes after pronounced dead) in the hospital.  She walked up to him and said "please pray for me", then faded away.

I understand about being skeptical.   I would have such little faith without seeing - it stinks but I have to admit it.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 10:05:58 PM »

At St. Seraphim's EO church in Dallas (around 1980) the incense behind the altar became stagnant.  It began to form & reveal an angelic type of form.

Since I was just a little kid and scared, they let me go out to my mom (I was a wee little altar boy).

Later I overheard the priest telling a bunch of adults "the angel's wings touched at about 14ft. high".  I think his name was "Thomas Green" but I may have forgotten.  He lived in the little house next to the church.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 10:23:44 PM »

When I was considering converting I  had a conversation with my wife and son at the kitchen table about it. Our voices were raised, not really an argument but the level of our voices was up. All of a sudden the cabinets above the kitchen counter that held dry goods emptied. I dont mean something fell out, I mean they completely emptied with everything in them falling to the floor.

My wife and son interpreted that as a sign I shouldn't convert but it got my testosterone up and I said : "That all ya got ?" which probably was not a smart thing to say to demons.. never the less.  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:26:24 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 12:00:38 AM »

Hadn't seen that before. Very interesting.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 02:15:07 AM »

When I was considering converting I  had a conversation with my wife and son at the kitchen table about it. Our voices were raised, not really an argument but the level of our voices was up. All of a sudden the cabinets above the kitchen counter that held dry goods emptied. I dont mean something fell out, I mean they completely emptied with everything in them falling to the floor.

My wife and son interpreted that as a sign I shouldn't convert but it got my testosterone up and I said : "That all ya got ?" which probably was not a smart thing to say to demons.. never the less.  
Sounds like something I would say.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 02:39:24 AM »

Not in Church but my (Orthodox) uncle once drank 5 bottles of vodka on his birthday himself. It is supernatural for me.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:40:56 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 09:09:59 AM »

Of course the ONLY "supernatural 'type of thing' " we should expect to find or witness in our Eastern Orthodox is the real presence of our Lord. I don't think much about supposed appearances or odd things - we can't know the origin or purposes of the same -but I have been in the presence of two myrrh-streaming Icons over my life, and the one which I have revisited several times in the past year, clearly is to my heart, soul and eyes a real manifestation of the Theotokos.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 09:19:05 AM »

Physically seeing me in church most Sundays at the moment can only be explained through supernatural means.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 09:59:06 AM »

Physically seeing me in church most Sundays at the moment can only be explained through supernatural means.

QFT ! -for most of us - not just you my friend!
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »

Hang in there brother... 

If I ever find my way fully back into Orthodoxy, it will absolutely be supernatural.   Time & Prayer will tell.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 03:07:16 PM »

Sounds like something I would say.

Yeah..Don't.. If you suspect something is of demonic origin dont confront them directly and certainly don't do what I did and challenge them...

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: