OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 07:57:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shared saints of the Syriac and Ethiopian Churches  (Read 1624 times) Average Rating: 0
Suryoyutho

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« on: September 09, 2012, 04:19:45 AM »

Are some Syriac saints such as Mor Shemun and Mor Shmuel (the two who founded the Mor Gabriel Monastery) saints in the Ethiopian Church as well? Any others (besides St Ephrem)? Is it because of the Nine Saints?

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
Suryoyutho

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 07:52:29 AM »

http://www.stmichaeleoc.org/Synaxarium/Yekatit_09.htm

Looks like Mor Barsaumo is a saint. He also lived before the Nine Saints arrived in Ethiopia.

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
Suryoyutho

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:58:49 AM »

The title of the topic should probably have been something like "Syriac saints in the Ethiopian Church"

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 01:46:32 PM »

My dear brother,yes the title should be that,  Grin  because indeed all the glorious saints of the Syrian Church are also Saints to the Ethiopian Church. The most renown ones I can think of and that I have found a quick reference to I have tried to list, but the Synaxarium is vast and many are listed by regions of Syria they come from if any place is mentioned so I am limited by my lack of knowledge of these regions especially since  most are written in the Ethiopian version of writing and pronouncing  their names which makes it very difficult to pin down the modern day version of their names to me in this limited time of research.so I will list very few of them, and  although some are not in the calendar still they are widely revered. it is not only because of the 9 saints, but it predates them, starting from our Father Abba Salama, the Ethiopian Church has been highly influenced by the Syrian Church. however we see as a result of the 9 saints the exposure broadens and the monastic tradition deepens . for instance one of the earliest manuscripts that was translated from the syriac into geez was Mezgabe haymanot/ Treasury of The Faith/ which is the work of Mar Jacob of Nisibis.a deep theological discourse , originally must have been organised and published by a member of the Jacobite Church, yet in that book it mentions the Ethiopian monastics and saints and their theological discourse.

The answer to your first question is yes they are indeed in the calendar( January 01) the three of them Saints Abba Samuel, Abba Simon and Abba Gabriel along with the history of how the monastery is founded.
Mar Jacob of Nisibis
Mor  Ephraim
Mor Jacob of sarug
Mar Isaac
Mar  Philoxenus of Mabbug
Saint John Saba/ the Spiritual elder or Aragawi menfesawi/
The writings of the above three saints are collectively called the book of the monks/ metshafte manekosat/  in Ethiopia, beginners are advised to read Mar Philxenous, those who have reached the state of the solitary to read mar Isaac, those who have tasted sweetness, to read Aragawi menfesawi.
Saint Abba Barsoma Father of the monks of Syria
Saint Abba Aaron the Syrian
The Martyr Saint Paul the Syrian
Saint Abraham the Syrian the 62nd Archbishop of the City of Alexanderia
Saint Abba Daniel the Syrian
Saint Ladimadiyos the Syrian.
Great spiritual Elders are mentioned along with the telling of the stories of other saints, Monks renowned for their holiness such as Saints Abba Joseph the Syrian, and  Abba Sisikos the Syrian.
My dear suryoyutho, I hope this has been a little bit helpful. May the Prayers of the Saints of Syria be with all the people of Syria in this time of their need. May the Prayers of all the Saints be with us all. Amen.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Suryoyutho

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 03:50:14 AM »

Thank you! Very helpful Smiley I'm actually writing something (in Swedish) and that's why I'm asking.

I wish we had a synaxarium...

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 05:20:36 AM »

Thank you! Very helpful Smiley I'm actually writing something (in Swedish) and that's why I'm asking.

Do you live in Sweden?

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 05:26:27 AM »

The Syriac Orthodox do not have a synaxarium? Huh

Suryoyutho

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 05:46:49 AM »

Do you live in Sweden?

Yup.

The Syriac Orthodox do not have a synaxarium? Huh

We do have calendars (I don't even know if these are universal for the whole Church) but I haven't come across an "official" book with the lives of the saints like the Coptic and Ethiopian Churches have. If all our written material from the past survived to this day we would have a lot but much of it (besides the popular people like St Ephraim) is gone/has been destroyed.

Maybe I should start a "Syriac Orthodox Saints" topic since I have a couple of "unofficial" books about it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:49:04 AM by Suryoyutho » Logged

Suryoyutho

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 06:43:56 AM »

I checked my calendar from the Archdiocese of Tur Abdin and the one for the United States of America I found online (http://s3.amazonaws.com/syrianorthodoxchurch.org/page_attachments/19996/Syriac_Calendar_2012.pdf). Though from the little I compared most was the same.

For example on September 5th in the Tur Abdin one we have St Sharbel but on the USA one his day is on October 6th.

For Ethiopians and Copts it's the same all around the world right?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:44:42 AM by Suryoyutho » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 07:28:54 AM »

Nice. I didn't know we have Swedes with or without immigrant backround in here. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 07:30:28 AM by Alpo » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

My dear brother,yes the title should be that,  Grin  because indeed all the glorious saints of the Syrian Church are also Saints to the Ethiopian Church.

The answer to your first question is yes they are indeed in the calendar( January 01) the three of them Saints Abba Samuel, Abba Simon and Abba Gabriel along with the history of how the monastery is founded.
Mar Jacob of Nisibis
Mor  Ephraim
Mor Jacob of sarug
Mar Isaac
Mar  Philoxenus of Mabbug
Saint John Saba/ the Spiritual elder or Aragawi menfesawi/
The writings of the above three saints are collectively called the book of the monks/ metshafte manekosat/  in Ethiopia, beginners are advised to read Mar Philxenous, those who have reached the state of the solitary to read mar Isaac, those who have tasted sweetness, to read Aragawi menfesawi.
Saint Abba Barsoma Father of the monks of Syria
Saint Abba Aaron the Syrian
The Martyr Saint Paul the Syrian
Saint Abraham the Syrian the 62nd Archbishop of the City of Alexanderia
Saint Abba Daniel the Syrian
Saint Ladimadiyos the Syrian.
Great spiritual Elders are mentioned along with the telling of the stories of other saints, Monks renowned for their holiness such as Saints Abba Joseph the Syrian, and  Abba Sisikos the Syrian.
My dear suryoyutho, I hope this has been a little bit helpful. May the Prayers of the Saints of Syria be with all the people of Syria in this time of their need. May the Prayers of all the Saints be with us all. Amen.

Agreed, aside from the obvious plethora of Syriac Saints in the Ethiopian Synaxarium, our Churches are in open communion, so ALL of our Saints should reasonably be thought of as mutual Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Suryoyutho

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 03:57:12 PM »

Alpo, hehe, truly international forum now. Smiley

I definitely view all Ethiopian Saints as my Saints but that there would be that many Syriac saints in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church calendar is a pleasant surprise. Smiley

sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 04:14:08 PM »

Nice. I didn't know we have Swedes with or without immigrant backround in here. Smiley
Lol, Sweden is the second homeland of the Suryoyo/Oromoyo/Chaldoyo/Whatever-else-they-want-to-call-themselves-oyo people.
Suryoyutho

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 04:36:29 PM »

hehe, that it is (and Germany) Smiley

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 07:03:06 PM »

Lol, Sweden is the second homeland of the Suryoyo/Oromoyo/Chaldoyo/Whatever-else-they-want-to-call-themselves-oyo people.

Sweden seems to be the second homeland of any cultural and ethnic group there is.

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 07:46:29 PM »

And just think, as recently as the 1960s, you'd have been hard-pressed to find any people more exotic in Sweden than the Sami/Lapps.

Pictured: Native Scandinavians in all their funny-hatted glory

Suryoyutho

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 06:45:01 AM »

Yup, very different today compared to back then.

Btw, does anyone know if the Abune Yemata (Guh) Church in Tigray is named after one of the Nine Saints (Abba Yemata)?

Edit: Here it says it's dedicated to Abba Afse: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eEVJUWO96sUJ:www.villageethiopiatour.com/index.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D181:abba-aftse%26catid%3D46:tigray-rock-churches%26Itemid%3D126+&cd=2&hl=sv&ct=clnk&gl=se
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:48:20 AM by Suryoyutho » Logged

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 02:48:08 PM »

my dear Suryoyutho, that is the church of Abune Yemata in Geralta Tigray, the Church of Abune Aftse is in Yeha,Tigray. whoever posted that info , they made a mistake.  Smiley

Edit: yes Abune Yemata and Abune Aftse are two of the Nine Saints.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:50:10 PM by Hiwot » Logged

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Tags: Oriental Orthodox saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: