OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 08:23:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insults  (Read 3873 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2011, 12:02:48 PM »

Some literally just asked me if I am on crack, in a male territory establishing manner.

Now, I really don't take this as an insult. But I must keep the reasonable lines of dominance drawn.

However, I did try to explain to him that when I was on crack, no one ever asked me that question. But now that I that I no longer am, I get asked it frequently.

Everyone laughed except him.

Humor > threats any day.

I also went into my whole, I hate when people say "x is better than crack" rant. Invariably they are people who have never smoked a single 20 rock in their lives.

I really take issue with this.

BTW, some things are better than crack, just not very many.

I was really hoping this was going to be an unmodded place insult each other.

That, my dear ladies and gentlemen, would be better than crack.

The Office is a good show, isn't it?

Don't know what your point is, but no I have never seen it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2012, 09:25:01 PM »

Where do you draw the line between standing up for yourself and repaying evil with evil?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2012, 10:27:39 PM »

I've been wondering that as well. People insult my all the time about my age on here whenever I make a logical point to them and they are too lazy to respond directly to it.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2012, 12:37:48 AM »

I've been wondering that as well. People insult my all the time about my age on here whenever I make a logical point to them and they are too lazy to respond directly to it.

Guess you're too young to recognize your own insults?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2012, 12:50:18 AM »

You might be surprised at how much your own idea of what is logical can change as you age and (God willing) grow in experience and wisdom.

alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2012, 07:25:59 AM »

'A soft answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger' ?

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2012, 08:20:19 AM »

Is this still in convert issues?

I'm going to need this.
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2012, 09:20:18 AM »

Huh

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2012, 11:49:21 AM »

For those looking for a sturdier approach, here is the prayer of St. Nicholai Velimirovich, from his Prayers by the Lake

Bless my enemies, O Lord. Even I bless them and do not curse them.

Enemies have driven me into your embrace more than friends have.

Friends have bound me to earth, enemies have loosed me from earth and have demolished all my aspirations in the world.

Enemies have made me a stranger in worldly realms and an extraneous inhabitant of the world. Just as a hunted animal finds safer shelter than an unhunted animal does, so have I, persecuted by enemies, found the safest sanctuary, having ensconced myself beneath your tabernacle, where neither friends nor enemies can slay my soul.

Bless my enemies, O Lord. Even I bless them and do not curse them.

Full quote here: http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles/VelimirovichBlessEnemies.php
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:51:16 AM by Seraphim98 » Logged
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2012, 12:18:31 PM »

Moderators Comment:

Yes this is still in Convert Issues as many converts have issues that they are seeking information on that helps them to make their transition to the church more smoothly. I do ask that we do not insult any member on this forum and that you remain civil and loving when discoursing on these topics. There are other parts of the OC.net where you may  spar with each other in a Christian fashion. The Private Boards allow more rancor than do the public boards and the convert issues forum expects "Church -like behavior" at all times (i.e. if you would not say it in front of your priest, it probably is inappropriate here in the Convert Issue Forum).

Thanks,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:19:30 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2012, 04:55:42 PM »

It is.

Maybe I just want someone to tell me that it's okay to not turn the other cheek. Maybe there's some wiggle room, some biblical characters (including Christ) didn't just ignore things when insulted (though monastic saints seemed to have). I dunno.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »

It would seem that the monastics often do not react to insults because insult often involves a bruised ego, and they are trying not to feed that particular passion, as humility is to be prized above all else. I would have a hard time imagining that any of Christ's reactions were so petty, either. As for the rest of us...well, each one knows that he has work to do. So rather than looking for wiggle-room or loopholes by which you can avenge yourself, it's probably better to look for ways to find yourself as having done nothing good before God (as Abba Isaac teaches us), so as to grow in humility and lessen the ego. Granted, it's easier said than done, but then isn't everything in the Christian life...  Smiley

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »

I just give other people the opportunity to be humble.

I'm going to need this.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2012, 05:39:49 PM »

Hahaha. That's good, too. Well played.

Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Direct Archdiocesan District

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2012, 12:39:34 AM »

I recall the story of a monk who wanted to attain humility and utterly free himself from the bondage of self-esteem. His spiritual father instructed him to pay a person every time they insulted him. And so he did so for several years before his spiritual father ended this obedience for the monk. Not long after, he entered Athens, and the first person to say something to him was an old man who cursed at him for some reason or another, and the monk began to laugh. Surprised, the old man asked why he was laughing. The monk replied, "I have had to pay people for that for years, and now you give it to me for free!"

Smiley

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: