OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 08:24:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indian Orthodox parish in Bronx, celebrates 40th anniversary  (Read 454 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:19:07 PM »

In the Bronx, New York, St. Mary's Indian Orthodox Church this year marks the fortieth anniversary of its foundation. The priest recalled the sparse conditions of the early days.

From the article:
“We didn’t even have a table to put our holy vessels on to celebrate eucharist. We found one in the basement. It had only three legs. We made another leg and we celebrated on that for many years,” said the Rev. Alummoottil Cherean smiling wistfully. “That is how we started.”

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 02:47:28 PM »

The article states there are 3.5 million Orthodox Christian living in India. I had no idea that the number was that large.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »

The article states there are 3.5 million Orthodox Christian living in India. I had no idea that the number was that large.
Also, that's just the independent Malankara/Indian Orthodox Church. If you include the group under Antiochan jurisdiction, it bumps up to around 5-6 million.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:58:50 PM by sheenj » Logged
jobin219
Mor Ignatius Noorono Please Pray for us

Jurisdiction: Malankara Jacobite Syriac Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:52:36 PM »

Also, that's just the independent Malankara/Indian Orthodox Church. If you include the group under Antiochan jurisdiction, it bumps up to around 5-6 million.

There is no way that MOSC is that large, both of our churches give such bloated figures and unfortunately us kids in Canada/USA believe whatever the hierarchy tells us. Combined the Jacobite/Orthodox church in Kerala has a maximum population 2 million. I believe the last census puts us at around 1 750 000. The Syro-Malabar Catholic church has about 3.9 million members (note it is the 2nd largest eastern catholic church after the ukranian catholics).

"As far as possible never do evil to anyone: or it will ruin you, your children
and your house. Hold on steadfastly to prayer, fasting and works of charity.
Do them with faith and devotion ".
-Saint Gregorios Geevarghese Chathuruthy (Parumala Thirumeni)
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 02:37:37 PM »

There is no way that MOSC is that large, both of our churches give such bloated figures and unfortunately us kids in Canada/USA believe whatever the hierarchy tells us. Combined the Jacobite/Orthodox church in Kerala has a maximum population 2 million. I believe the last census puts us at around 1 750 000. The Syro-Malabar Catholic church has about 3.9 million members (note it is the 2nd largest eastern catholic church after the ukranian catholics).
Huh, I was going by the Wikipedia numbers, which pegs the MOSC at 3 Million and the MSOC at 2 Million.

I think you're right though since I just checked the the MOSC Sabha site and it says only 2 Million. As for the MSOC, I can't find anything reliable but I don't think they're bigger than the MOSC so that moves the total number down to maximum 4 Million. Undecided
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:38:16 PM by sheenj » Logged
jobin219
Mor Ignatius Noorono Please Pray for us

Jurisdiction: Malankara Jacobite Syriac Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 08:09:47 AM »

Huh, I was going by the Wikipedia numbers, which pegs the MOSC at 3 Million and the MSOC at 2 Million.

I think you're right though since I just checked the the MOSC Sabha site and it says only 2 Million. As for the MSOC, I can't find anything reliable but I don't think they're bigger than the MOSC so that moves the total number down to maximum 4 Million. Undecided

Remember that Wikipedia is a user edited encyclopaedia that anyone can change to their liking. The population statistics I'm using are from the Malayala Manorama Year Book, one of the most trusted sources for demographic information in the country (NB: Malayala Manorama is owned by a member of the MOSC, if they wanted to they could easily publish false values and none would be the wiser) As for the Jacobite church being smaller, its hard to tell. The MOSC has the greater number of parishes in Kerala, but in terms of per congregation population MSOC is larger as we have bigger & older parishes such Piravom Pally, Manarcaudu, Mulunthurthy, Kolencherry etc. If these population values were to be true, it would mean that a majority of our church's members reside outside India, but I doubt that is the case.

"As far as possible never do evil to anyone: or it will ruin you, your children
and your house. Hold on steadfastly to prayer, fasting and works of charity.
Do them with faith and devotion ".
-Saint Gregorios Geevarghese Chathuruthy (Parumala Thirumeni)
Tags: Indian Orthodox  Bronx  New York 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: