OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 09:44:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The OC.net "Epilogue from Ohrid"  (Read 1443 times) Average Rating: 0
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« on: September 06, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »

In which we post the Vita of our favorite Oc.net members.

A legend of Abba Achronos:

Abba Achronos was peeling a sugar cane when brother Apophis came to him lamenting, "Abba, I am in great travail. I have slept with a man's wife and now everywhere I go, I am assaulted by ticks!'

At that moment, the sugar cane snapped, and when the sweet sugar fell from within, it drove away the brother's ticks.

Abba Achronos said, "As the stalk cannot withstand the pressure of my peeler, so a woman yields willingly or unwillingly; such is her lot through Eve. It behoveth man to guard the peeler for the sake of woman, for whom he has reponsibility. The pure sugar produced from a broken and contrite spirit gives us only what is required, without excess or waste."

At this, the brother wept bitterly and his tears turned to amber. Upon each stone was written the word "metanoia". This is why it is said in Egypt: "It is May, the Nile runs amber like brother Apophis."

Severian and the Locusts

Once, a great plague of locusts descended upon the sedges of Alexandria, so that no papyrus could be manufactured that year.

The Latin, Byzantine and Coptic men of Alexandria, balking at the idea of not being able to write any scathing letters for a whole year, appealed to the holy men of the desert for help.

Psalmodising atop his date palm, the monk Severian received a runner from Alexandria. "O wise Severian," cried the runner, "all the sedges have been laid waste by a plague of locusts from Arabia!"

Severian shook his date palm violently until all of the palm branches were waving about in the breeze.

"Papyrus resurrection!" He shouted.

All across the land, the sedges stretched forth, and color returned to them. The bishops of Alexandria rejoiced, and so many letters were written that over twenty riots rocked the cities of Alexandria and Antioch that year.

An Adze for Augustin

The archimandrite subdeacon reader-vicar Augustin had been sent by the Archbishop of Bucharest to help with evangelization efforts in Sitka, Alaska.

One day, while he was walking among the totem poles, praying his rosary, a native approached him.

"Spiritual Father," the native exclaimed, "it is good for us to be here. I would like to prepare three totem poles: One for you, one for Holy Czar-Martyr Nicholas, and one for our heiromonk Aristides Swanson."

"Why do you want to give me a pole," ASdR-VFr. Augustin scolded, "when only one is worthy of honor, that is, God?"

"But Spiritual Father! I must do something with my grandfather's Adze, for it was hewn from the bone of a silver whale."

Augustin took the adze from the native man, and it immediately turned red with blood...

[manuscript damaged]

...And so, the native man and ASdR-VFr. Augustin walked away from the burning capitol building, rejoicing and praising God.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:11:42 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 06:22:53 PM »

omg

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »

Verily Nicholas is an overworked graduate student studying the Desert Fathers long into the wee hours of the morning. After he receives his PhD, costing much but bringing in little, he will look back at this moment and realize it was the best of his life. His friends will mayhap take pity upon him, invite him into their homes, and make him the godfather of their screaming babes, but Nicholas will have only two options--either to be an eternal student or to sacrifice himself on the altar of the priesthood and hope to God he can find a wife before the bishop comes calling.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 06:26:48 PM »

Verily Nicholas is an overworked graduate student studying the Desert Fathers long into the wee hours of the morning. After he receives his PhD, costing much but bringing in little, he will look back at this moment and realize it was the best of his life. His friends will mayhap take pity upon him, invite him into their homes, and make him the godfather of their screaming babes, but Nicholas will have only two options--either to be an eternal student or to sacrifice himself on the altar of the priesthood and hope to God he can find a wife before the bishop comes calling.
It's not very Christian to condemn people to hell, Shanghaiski!

God protect me from the devil!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:30:17 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:01:05 PM »

I have to agree; find thee a good Orthodox bride before the Bishop makes you an offer you cannot refuse.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 07:01:23 PM »

Orthonorm's Supper

Every Dormition Feast, in the Russian monastery at Bellingshausen Station, the monks gather round to have their one poultry meal of the year: Adélie penguin with mussel gravy.

In the 11th year of the reign of Putin I, the monks sat down to such a meal on a frigid August evening. The abbot of the monastery, Orthonorm, said a blessing for the food. One monk, however, in his haste to begin eating, had inhaled the scent of penguin wing too deeply. This left an opening for the enemy to enter in.

The Abbot Orthonorm, sensing the presence of an adversary, promptly grabbed the pitcher of mussel gravy and drank it all in one gulp.

The brothers gasped.

"Our feast!" One moaned.

"Freyja's cold has caught his mind!" Another weak brother shouted.

Abbot Orthonorm held up his hands to silence the brethren. He took in a great breath through his nose, and spat the mussel gravy upon the brother who had sniffed the penguin.

"It is not you I spit upon," the Abbot declared, "but upon the devil whom your gluttony invited!"

That brother repented in permafrost and ashes.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 07:06:22 PM »

I have to agree; find thee a good Orthodox bride before the Bishop makes you an offer you cannot refuse.
Why find an Orthodox bride when I can make an Orthodox bride?   Cool
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:06:55 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 08:51:08 PM »

(Oiy Veh! The Onion Dome has major competition)

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:51:43 PM »

I can't wait for the ialmisry and PeterTheAleut ones.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 10:13:26 PM »

SECONDED!!  laugh
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »

(Oiy Veh! The Onion Dome has major competition)

But more witty in a 'dark' sense!  Smiley
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 10:52:09 PM »

But venerable elder, I am still in my Orthodox youth.

I have to sow my wild handholding-through-a-hole-in-a-sheet's before I can think about marriage.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:52:22 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 11:31:46 PM »

Ialmisry's Journey through the Celestial Spheres

[THE FOLLOWING WAS REVEALED IN A VISION FROM THE GRIM REAPER TO THE PIOUS VASSAL SIKAMOROS THE BOGOMIL]

And it came to pass that the Elder Ialmisry departed this life.

He was greeted by St. Peter and Pope Pius X at the gates of Paradise. They both held giant silver keys in their hands.

"Ialmisry, my child, it turns out that, according to my associate here, the Lombardo-Gothic Carolingians were correct about the supremacy of Old Rome," said St. Peter.

The venerable Ialmisry shook his head. "I refuse to accept it," he replied.

Pope Pius X was taken aback by the Elder's stubbornness. "But you now stand in the very maw of Purgatory!"

The Elder patted out a few flames creeping up the side of his robe. "This fire is clearly immaterial," he answered.

"Fine, fine," said Pope Pius X. "The two of us shall have a contest. I'll summon my champion, and if you can defeat him, then I shall accept Roman Catholicism, and renounce Vaticanianism."

With a flourish, the venerable Ialmisry gave his assent.

And it came to pass, that a glowing light appeared, and a fourth man was found in their midst.

"Ialmisry, meet Beatus of Liébana, legendary geographer," Pope Pius boasted. "He is my champion; best him in a contest of cartography, and the day is yours."

"And what, pray tell, will we be mapping?" St. Beatus inquired.

"The Kingdom of Heaven!" St. Peter declared. "The first of you to map it correctly wins the faith!"

And it came to pass, that ink, quill and parchment were prepared for the two contestants. And it came to pass that, with a wave of their mighty keys, the Apostle and Pope signaled the start of the race.

The Elder Ialmisry began his labor with a small smile on his face.

St. Beatus scribbled furiously, blended colors, thrusting forth upon his canvas arching spears of latitudes and longitudes. Mountains arose, rivers filled, cities and townships were established. His compass danced across the parchment, carving out roads, tradeways, borders of empire. And it came to pass that after many hours, he arose from his work and shouted, "Complete!"

And the map was truly a grand affair. It was a worthy tapestry of terrain, fit to adorn the war-tent of the heavenly host.

"Fine and good," observed Elder Ialmisry, "but I finished an hour ago."

"Absurd!" scoffed Pope Pius X, "You've never even been inside the Gates behind us, and you think you've bested Beatus at mapping out the Kingdom of Heaven?"

Elder Ialmisry held up his parchment. Upon it he had drawn a small icon of Christ's Transfiguration.

"It's 'Reign of Heaven," the Elder corrected. "Haven't you read Fr. Romanides?"
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:34:40 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 04:10:36 PM »

ROFL!!

This thread needs more love.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 04:15:11 PM »

ROFL!!

This thread needs more love.

Agreed. One of your finest, Nicholas! 

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 10:36:43 PM »

Ialmisry's Journey through the Celestial Spheres

[THE FOLLOWING WAS REVEALED IN A VISION FROM THE GRIM REAPER TO THE PIOUS VASSAL SIKAMOROS THE BOGOMIL]

And it came to pass that the Elder Ialmisry departed this life.

He was greeted by St. Peter and Pope Pius X at the gates of Paradise. They both held giant silver keys in their hands.

"Ialmisry, my child, it turns out that, according to my associate here, the Lombardo-Gothic Carolingians were correct about the supremacy of Old Rome," said St. Peter.

The venerable Ialmisry shook his head. "I refuse to accept it," he replied.

Pope Pius X was taken aback by the Elder's stubbornness. "But you now stand in the very maw of Purgatory!"

The Elder patted out a few flames creeping up the side of his robe. "This fire is clearly immaterial," he answered.

"Fine, fine," said Pope Pius X. "The two of us shall have a contest. I'll summon my champion, and if you can defeat him, then I shall accept Roman Catholicism, and renounce Vaticanianism."

With a flourish, the venerable Ialmisry gave his assent.

And it came to pass, that a glowing light appeared, and a fourth man was found in their midst.

"Ialmisry, meet Beatus of Liébana, legendary geographer," Pope Pius boasted. "He is my champion; best him in a contest of cartography, and the day is yours."

"And what, pray tell, will we be mapping?" St. Beatus inquired.

"The Kingdom of Heaven!" St. Peter declared. "The first of you to map it correctly wins the faith!"

And it came to pass, that ink, quill and parchment were prepared for the two contestants. And it came to pass that, with a wave of their mighty keys, the Apostle and Pope signaled the start of the race.

The Elder Ialmisry began his labor with a small smile on his face.

St. Beatus scribbled furiously, blended colors, thrusting forth upon his canvas arching spears of latitudes and longitudes. Mountains arose, rivers filled, cities and townships were established. His compass danced across the parchment, carving out roads, tradeways, borders of empire. And it came to pass that after many hours, he arose from his work and shouted, "Complete!"

And the map was truly a grand affair. It was a worthy tapestry of terrain, fit to adorn the war-tent of the heavenly host.

"Fine and good," observed Elder Ialmisry, "but I finished an hour ago."

"Absurd!" scoffed Pope Pius X, "You've never even been inside the Gates behind us, and you think you've bested Beatus at mapping out the Kingdom of Heaven?"

Elder Ialmisry held up his parchment. Upon it he had drawn a small icon of Christ's Transfiguration.

"It's 'Reign of Heaven," the Elder corrected. "Haven't you read Fr. Romanides?"

POST OF THE YEAR!!  laugh laugh laugh
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:37:05 PM by LBK » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »

He couldn't have nailed Isa better.

Nicholas FTW, brilliance. I wish I could come up with something that good, bravo!

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »

And then the poor seminary scribe Nicholas, puffed up by the praise of his inferiors, was taken by ninjas in the middle of the night and sent to Siberia.

"At least it's not hell," he thought as he descended into the mines through the permafrost.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 02:31:02 AM »

And then the poor seminary scribe Nicholas, puffed up by the praise of his inferiors, was taken by ninjas in the middle of the night and sent to Siberia.

"At least it's not hell," he thought as he descended into the mines through the permafrost.

Quoth the hater:

"Gonna hate."

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 03:59:23 PM »

A Skicharionagigkovnenamorotou of PtA

The archon Peter went to market one day to buy raisin cakes.

Along the way, a devil took the form of a beggar to tempt him.

"Good sir," pleaded the devil, "I Beg of you just one thing."

"What is that?" Peter asked.

"The Question," replied the devil.

Peter's countenance grew fierce. "Petitio Principii!" he cursed at the devil.

It fled in distress.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 04:03:44 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 04:17:37 PM »

Quoth the hater:

"Gonna hate."

Come now. If you think that was hateful, you have no imagination.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 04:19:24 PM »

Haters are never actually hateful.

They're like the Marley's Ghosts of hating. They hate, but it availeth them not.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 04:21:22 PM »

Haters are never actually hateful.

They're like the Marley's Ghosts of hating. They hate, but it availeth them not.

Marley's Ghost was actually very helpful.

Anyway, I'll try not to distress myself that I have been completely misunderstood (again).

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 12:10:51 PM »

A Skicharionagigkovnenamorotou of PtA

The archon Peter went to market one day to buy raisin cakes.

Along the way, a devil took the form of a beggar to tempt him.

"Good sir," pleaded the devil, "I Beg of you just one thing."

"What is that?" Peter asked.

"The Question," replied the devil.

Peter's countenance grew fierce. "Petitio Principii!" he cursed at the devil.

It fled in distress.

And then the devil muted him for 99 days!

angel

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »

Really guys? Maybe this thread needs more anal sex, homphobia, sexual positions, the Vatican papists, and Fr. Seraphim Rose to be successful.

Isn't it funny how much those things have in common?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 10:05:41 AM »

Really guys? Maybe this thread needs more anal sex, homphobia, sexual positions, the Vatican papists, and Fr. Seraphim Rose to be successful.

Isn't it funny how much those things have in common?

I suppose you weren't referring to the fact that all of the phrases are in the English language?  Wink
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »

No kidding!  Smiley LOL

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 10:54:13 PM »

Thread Resurrection!

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 12:21:46 PM »

IMHO, after the "A legend of Abba Achronos" and "An Adze for Augustin,"  the quality went down from "pure genius" to "good."

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 11:56:33 AM »

Thread resurrection!

I wish I had noticed this sooner. Thanks, Nicholas!

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 12:05:57 PM »

Even though this is only one page in length, it is by far the best thread on oc.net. NicolasMyra is my new favorite poster.

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 12:13:37 PM »

I liked the ones about Severian and Isa.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 09:33:08 PM »

Thread resurrection!

You haven't resurrected a thread in a long time.

Is that because of the rumor that you are a priest now? Or have I misread the rumor?

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 09:34:05 PM »

Thread resurrection!

Is that because of the rumor that you are a priest now? Or have I misread the rumor?
Lol wut?

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 09:36:13 PM »

Thread resurrection!

Lol wut?

You didn't get the congratulatory memo from His Holiness Pope Tawadros II? The candidate is always the last to know.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 09:44:16 PM »

Thread resurrection!

Lol wut?

You didn't get the congratulatory memo from His Holiness Pope Tawadros II? The candidate is always the last to know.
Lol, no. I guess I'm the Paulinianus of the Coptic Church.

Tags: lives of the saints  cheval mort  not the teaching of islam Apocryphal musings cheval amusant 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: