OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 08:40:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are the ladies?  (Read 1761 times) Average Rating: 0
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« on: September 05, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that OC.net is full of men and there aren't many women? It's a pity, some of the nicest and most interesting people here are female, such as LizaSymonenko and Dominika.

So what can we do to get more females on board?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 07:24:59 PM »

They're smarter, that's why they stay away  Grin angel The women that are here just feel sorry for us...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:25:27 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 07:36:04 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Therapist Joe Says
Maybe a bit too obvious in your approach?

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:36:36 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »

Maybe we can have a women's night, like with hand bag and make up giveaways?  Kiss

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that OC.net is full of men and there aren't many women? It's a pity, some of the nicest and most interesting people here are female, such as LizaSymonenko and Dominika.

I remember some Jewish seminary, where the female seminarians wondered what the Talmud would look like if women wrote it.  They came to the conclusion that, given the testosterone driven culture of responsa, it would never have been written.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 07:49:03 PM »

We should have a ladies night here with me as the bartender/personal slave with my cojones snapped off.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 08:41:38 PM »

I remember some Jewish seminary, where the female seminarians wondered what the Talmud would look like if women wrote it.  They came to the conclusion that, given the testosterone driven culture of responsa, it would never have been written.
Only that the Talmud does not consist of responsa.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 08:45:15 PM »

Are you sure we should have more?  Wink
Golgotha

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 08:48:29 PM »

Rule #30. There are no women on the internet.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:48:48 PM by Golgotha » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »

They have heard your call....and they are on their way!

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:25:14 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 11:33:29 PM »

LOL, Liza.

And Gorazd, there are more women on here than you may think.  I know of a few posters here who are female, but I've noticed many of the guys here have written things which seem to indicate that they think the posters in question are in fact male.  Who those people are?  It is not my place to tell. Smiley

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 11:40:16 PM »

LOL, Liza.

And Gorazd, there are more women on here than you may think.  I know of a few posters here who are female, but I've noticed many of the guys here have written things which seem to indicate that they think the posters in question are in fact male.  Who those people are?  It is not my place to tell. Smiley

I have noticed this as well.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 12:08:27 AM »

LOL, Liza.

I have noticed this as well.
I've also noticed a few times when male posters were mistakenly thought to be female.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 12:12:08 AM »

I've also noticed a few times when male posters were mistakenly thought to be female.

Well Opus asks for it.  Grin

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 12:15:13 AM »

This thread makes me miss Liora. Embarrassed But we still have many wonderful ladies: Mabsoota, Hiwot, Ergib, ZZ, Liza, Quinault...surely others I'm not remembering right now...I'd say that for any random group of people thrown together by their love of arguing about theology or whatever it is we're doing here, we're batting extremely high in terms of quality ladies. Grin Remember, quality is preferable to quantity. There are plenty of other forums on the internet with more women on them, but I'm not terribly interested in browsing the Lifetime TV forums or something... (that exists, I bet)

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 12:17:34 AM »

I thought he was a girl for the longest time, too.  Sorry Opus.

But don't forget Maria and Zenovia.  Two of my favorite firebrands.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 08:20:41 AM »

This thread makes me miss Liora. Embarrassed But we still have many wonderful ladies: Mabsoota, Hiwot, Ergib, ZZ, Liza, Quinault...surely others I'm not remembering right now...I'd say that for any random group of people thrown together by their love of arguing about theology or whatever it is we're doing here, we're batting extremely high in terms of quality ladies. Grin Remember, quality is preferable to quantity. There are plenty of other forums on the internet with more women on them, but I'm not terribly interested in browsing the Lifetime TV forums or something... (that exists, I bet)

Hey, don't forget Salpy!  And I wouldn't know half of what was going on in the world without Biro's Christian News posts.

I do also miss Liora and hope & pray the best for her.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 10:13:08 AM »

I've noticed many Orthodox and traditional Catholic forums have similar issue. Probably we focus and spend more time on practicing the faith, than on discussions about it Wink

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 10:18:34 AM »

LOL!  I was just about to say that.

That's why when you attend Vespers, there's about a dozen women to every man present!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 10:29:29 AM »

I've noticed many Orthodox and traditional Catholic forums have similar issue. Probably we focus and spend more time on practicing the faith, than on discussions about it Wink
Sounds like the perfect excuse for women! But I seriously wonder if men and women, assuming both are religious, have a different attitude to faith?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 10:34:48 AM »

That's why when you attend Vespers, there's about a dozen women to every man present!

Sounds like my church choir.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »

Hey, don't forget Salpy!  And I wouldn't know half of what was going on in the world without Biro's Christian News posts.

Sorry, Salpy and Biro! I decided to limit myself above to those who I have seen photographs of in the "What does everyone look like" thread, so as to avoid the previously mentioned problem of posters assuming certain posters are women when they aren't, and I don't recall having seen photos of either Salpy or Biro (though, yes, I did think both were women...that's just not something you really want to assume, I suppose).

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 11:42:42 AM »

Yes, it would help if people would provide a bit more information in their profiles. I understand why some hold back on personal details, but is male/female really that confidential? Huh  Yet, I'll bet many of these people who don't want to reveal information here have Facebook pages that could tell quite a story  Wink! (I'm not on Facebook.)
Mokek Kwe

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »

I'm in the process of starting a small online group for Orthodox women. IME, it can be less awkward for females to share with other females.

Baptized with my husband and our four year old daughter on May 4, 2013
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »

Awww, thanks.  Smiley

(I miss Liora too.)  Sad

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 06:14:34 PM »

Sorry, Salpy and Biro! I decided to limit myself above to those who I have seen photographs of in the "What does everyone look like" thread, so as to avoid the previously mentioned problem of posters assuming certain posters are women when they aren't, and I don't recall having seen photos of either Salpy or Biro (though, yes, I did think both were women...that's just not something you really want to assume, I suppose).

I'm there. I forget what page number in the thread. Smiley

Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 09:12:46 PM »

Present Smiley (usually in lurk mode)

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 09:26:53 PM »

I'm there. I forget what page number in the thread. Smiley

Forgive me, so you are! Let the record show that Biro is a lady, and in the picture thread. Smiley

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 09:34:38 PM »

Thanks. Smiley

OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 02:15:20 AM »

If I could attend Vespers and see a dozen people, total, period, I'd be thrilled.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2012, 02:00:29 AM »

This may not seem connected but it is. The other day I wanted to take my leg in "Pleated Slacks" (symbolism intended and yes I prefer pleated and the term slacks) and kick Schultz's butt to high heaven. He dashed my hopes of the return of the most beautiful voice on this forum.

Profanity replaced with something more acceptable for the Public Forum  -PtA
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:01:29 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2012, 02:18:51 AM »

Schultzy,.....what did you say to Opus to get such a reaction?  Wink

—St. Isaac of Syria
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2012, 04:18:19 AM »

We should have a ladies night here with me as the bartender/personal slave with my cojones snapped off.

James, are you off your saltpeter?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 07:44:11 AM »

Has anyone else noticed that OC.net is full of men and there aren't many women?

Welcome to the internet.

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 11:17:46 AM »

Schultzy,.....what did you say to Opus to get such a reaction?  Wink

He was being his usual insightful self. It was the timing that was unfortunate.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 11:27:57 AM »

Welcome to the internet.

Well, another aspect of the 'net is not being able to tell of someone is male/female.   

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »

Welcome to the internet.

Well, another aspect of the 'net is not being able to tell of someone is male/female.   

Well, I don't suppose that a lot of women are role-playing as men on the internet, but I could be wrong of course. Anyway, most of the sites I visit at least seem to be overwhelmingly male.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:49:32 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Romans 10:9-10

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2012, 11:50:57 AM »

Women on the internet?.....lawls

Women on teh interwebz is liek as possible as an virgin giving birth...

...oh wait...

OH NOEZ!!!!

Tongue

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 12:01:44 PM »

Welcome to the internet.

Well, I don't suppose that a lot of women are role-playing as men on the internet, but I could be wrong of course. Anyway, most of the sites I visit at least seem to be overwhelmingly male.

I'm not referring to "role-playing'. But how does one tell just from reading postings on subjects that aren't about personal things or that don't have personal information?   So your "seem" might be more applicable.

Smiley

Ebor
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:03:30 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 12:02:25 PM »

Welcome to the internet.

Oh I can tell. And even when I'm wrong, I'm right.  Wink

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 12:04:15 PM »

Oh I can tell. And even when I'm wrong, I'm right.  Wink

Huh Huh   Wink

Wrong and right at the same time? 

a paradox.... (or is that when you have Ben Casey and Dr. Kildare?  and here I am showing my age again.   Cheesy)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:05:29 PM by Ebor » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 12:10:54 PM »

I'm not referring to "role-playing'. But how does one tell just from reading postings on subjects that aren't about personal things or that don't have personal information?   So your "seem" might be more applicable.

Smiley

Ebor

Small things can give it away. The use or abuse of certain words and smilies, the showing of a lot of empathy and sensitiveness etc. etc. It might not be 100% waterproof, but what is?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:11:52 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 03:30:08 PM »

Did someone say pleated slacks?

Ew.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2012, 06:21:19 PM »

I thought he was a girl for the longest time, too.  Sorry Opus.

But don't forget Maria and Zenovia.  Two of my favorite firebrands.  Smiley

Thanks.

Oops. I thought Opus was a girl too.

Maybe he should change his avatar.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: