OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:21:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer Rope  (Read 390 times) Average Rating: 0
jerry

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (catechumen)

« on: September 04, 2012, 09:23:25 PM »

Does anyone use a prayer rope or bracelet?  I have a prayer rope now and have been trying to establish a regular prayer life.  Right now some days its good and some days its not so good but it has gotten better with my prayer rope.  I was wondering what advice you guys might have to improving my prayer life and am I on the right track with a prayer rope?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:20:43 PM »

I'm one of those Orthodox wannabe roman catholics by hanging my prayer rope over my rear-view mirror. I have prayer rope in my desk at work.

For me I started off by setting up a calendar on my Outlook and get notifications when it's time to pray. It forces me to be habitual about it. However it might take a few minutes to build that fervor which I think is very important. So maybe setup some times, 2:00pm, 4:00pm, etc. At work I usually recite the Jesus Prayer and at home I have my prayer book that I use for longer prayers.

There are days when I don't want to pray but I force myself to do it. Just like I force myself to use nonfat yogurt in my cereal. Maybe that's the wrong way of doing it, but I need discipline.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »

My use of the Jesus Prayer benefited greatly from also saying the morning prayers/small compline.  When I have time I'll even say Vespers.  I leave these prayer times saying the Jesus Prayer.  Very effective.   Over the last month of saying this simple prayer rule everyday I've cut out drinking beer (it had become a problem) and my appetite for food is actually under control.  God is merciful.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 08:41:17 PM »

Does anyone use a prayer rope or bracelet?  I have a prayer rope now and have been trying to establish a regular prayer life.  Right now some days its good and some days its not so good but it has gotten better with my prayer rope.  I was wondering what advice you guys might have to improving my prayer life and am I on the right track with a prayer rope?
Let me pose this to you -- why do you think your prayer life is improving with the use of a prayer rope? Why has having the right "equipment" as opposed to praying without helped you? After all, the Jesus Prayer can certainly be said without it, or counted on the fingertips if you're really concerned with keeping count.

(Don't read any Internet aggression into these questions. Just trying to provoke some reflection and perhaps help you find an answer.)

That said, if using a prayer rope is helping you improve your prayer life in a real and meaningful way, then you probably are on the right track.

There are days when I don't want to pray but I force myself to do it. Just like I force myself to use nonfat yogurt in my cereal. Maybe that's the wrong way of doing it, but I need discipline.

Also this.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:41:28 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
jerry

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (catechumen)

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 09:54:08 PM »

Let me pose this to you -- why do you think your prayer life is improving with the use of a prayer rope? Why has having the right "equipment" as opposed to praying without helped you? After all, the Jesus Prayer can certainly be said without it, or counted on the fingertips if you're really concerned with keeping count.

(Don't read any Internet aggression into these questions. Just trying to provoke some reflection and perhaps help you find an answer.)

That said, if using a prayer rope is helping you improve your prayer life in a real and meaningful way, then you probably are on the right track.

No offense taken and thank you for asking these questions because I think they're important.  In answering these questions I believe that maybe on the right track. To answer your questions I would say this:   What I've noticed is that the prayer rope is a visual reminder to pray so when things in my day distract me I'm immediately reminded.  After reflecting on this, I guess what bothers me or causes me to question myself is this.  I have good prayer time when I'm alone  but when I'm at work I get distracted and forget.  I saw an interview with a monk who said he prayers constantly, even when he's in a conversation.  After I heard that I felt like my prayer life was seriously lacking.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 10:13:20 PM »

No offense taken and thank you for asking these questions because I think they're important.  In answering these questions I believe that maybe on the right track. To answer your questions I would say this:   What I've noticed is that the prayer rope is a visual reminder to pray so when things in my day distract me I'm immediately reminded.  After reflecting on this, I guess what bothers me or causes me to question myself is this.  I have good prayer time when I'm alone  but when I'm at work I get distracted and forget.  I saw an interview with a monk who said he prayers constantly, even when he's in a conversation.  After I heard that I felt like my prayer life was seriously lacking.
First things first: don't beat yourself up over the fact that you don't have the prayer life of someone whose life is dedicated to prayer. Your information says you're a catechumen, so it's just not likely you're going to be able to pray like a Schemamonk. Crawl before you walk and all that. I'm not saying you shouldn't have goals, I'm just saying that there's a difference between short-term and long-term goals.

If a visual reminder is what you need during daylight hours, find something that you have around you during the day (something on your desk, whatever) and mentally flag it as the thing that will remind you to pray.

Remember, Orthodox prayer is not about our personal accruement of liturgical or paraliturgical items, it's about repentance.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:16:57 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: