OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 04:37:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heaven and Hell  (Read 215 times) Average Rating: 0
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Former Christian

Romans 10:9-10

« on: September 04, 2012, 05:31:30 PM »

Hey, Quick question. From the information given by Scripture and the Saints, what will the faithful be doing once they are glorified with resurrected bodies? Also, what exactly happens to the unfaithful (I don't think anyone really thinks there is a literal lake of fire...)?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:32:01 PM by TristanCross » Logged

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 06:21:25 PM »

Do a search, this subject has been covered in numerous threads.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Former Christian

Romans 10:9-10

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 12:21:58 AM »

I'm not looking for the "the Kingdom of God is in your heart" kind of answer. I'm wondering about the physical aspect (which is why I mentioned the resurrected bodies). And doing a keyword search brings up so many threads that have nothing to do with my question because "heaven" and "hell" are terms used in many threads. I'd rather not spend hours sifting through threads for unsatisfying answers.

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 03:00:39 AM »

I'm not looking for the "the Kingdom of God is in your heart" kind of answer. I'm wondering about the physical aspect (which is why I mentioned the resurrected bodies). And doing a keyword search brings up so many threads that have nothing to do with my question because "heaven" and "hell" are terms used in many threads. I'd rather not spend hours sifting through threads for unsatisfying answers.

The physical aspect will remain, but it will be very different because it will also have a spiritual component in addition. In this fallen world we have lost the direct communion with God through The Grace of The Holy Spirit. We are basically living on a purely physical level, having lost the spiritual.
This is why the Saints talk about acquiring the Grace of The Holy Spirit. So it's hard for anybody to describe what it will be like because it is experiential. Even Apostle Paul having been taken to Heaven was not able to describe in human words what he had experienced, only said that none of it is to be found in this world, or can even be imagined.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 03:01:40 AM by IoanC » Logged

dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 08:42:05 AM »

This is relatively a short article and might be worth reading:
https://sites.google.com/site/syrianorthodox/home/articles/heaven-and-hell

NULL
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: