OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:05:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Judaism believe in Satan ?  (Read 2616 times) Average Rating: 0
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2013, 01:58:52 PM »

He (Satan) is known as the "Prince of Darkness" and "Great Deceiver" ...
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2013, 02:12:01 PM »

He (Satan) is known as the "Prince of Darkness" and "Great Deceiver" ...

Quote from: St. Nicodemus, The Unseen Warfare, Ch. 24
The devil resembles an ant-lion (myrmekoleon) since he always begins a man's ruin by first casting him into small sins, just as an ant is small, and then, when the man becomes accustomed to such small sins, he casts him into greater. So equally the devil at first seems as weak and small as an ant, and later he appears like a powerful giant - a great lion
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »

The extraordinary qualities with which Adam was blessed, physical and spiritual as well, aroused the envy of the angels. They attempted to consume him with fire, and he would have perished, had not the protecting hand of God rested upon him, and established peace between him and the heavenly host. In particular, Satan was jealous of the first man, and his evil thoughts finally led to his fall. After Adam had been endowed with a soul, God invited all the angels to come and pay him reverence and homage. Satan, the greatest of the angels in heaven, with twelve wings, instead of six like all the others, refused to pay heed to the behest of God, saying, "Thou didst create us angels from the splendor of the Shekinah, and now Thou dost command us to cast ourselves down before the creature which Thou didst fashion out of the dust of the ground!" God answered, "Yet this dust of the ground has more wisdom and understanding than thou." Satan demanded a trial of wit with Adam, and God assented thereto, saying: "I have created beasts, birds, and reptiles, I shall have them all come before thee and before Adam. If thou art able to give them names, I shall command Adam to show honor unto thee, and thou shalt rest next to the Shekinah of My glory. But if not, and Adam calls them by the names I have assigned to them, then thou wilt be subject to Adam, and he shall have a place in My garden, and cultivate it." Thus spake God, and He betook Himself to Paradise, Satan following Him. When Adam beheld God, he said to his wife, "O come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the Lord our Maker." Now Satan attempted to assign names to the animals. He failed with the first two that presented themselves, the ox and the cow. God led two others before him, the camel and the donkey, with the same result. Then God turned to Adam, and questioned him regarding the names of the same animals, framing His questions in such wise that the first letter of the first word was the same as the first letter of the name of the animal standing before him. Thus Adam divined the proper name, and Satan was forced to acknowledge the superiority of the first man. Nevertheless he broke out in wild outcries that reached the heavens, and he refused to do homage unto Adam as he had been bidden. The host of angels led by him did likewise, in spite of the urgent representations of Michael, who was the first to prostrate himself before Adam in order to show a good example to the other angels. Michael addressed Satan: "Give adoration to the image of God! But if thou doest it not, then the Lord God will break out in wrath against thee." Satan replied: "If He breaks out in wrath against me, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God, I will be like the Most High! "At once God flung Satan and his host out of heaven, down to the earth, and from that moment dates the enmity between Satan and man.'
  Legends of the Jews http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/loj/loj104.htm

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2013, 08:04:19 PM »

The extraordinary qualities with which Adam was blessed, physical and spiritual as well, aroused the envy of the angels. They attempted to consume him with fire, and he would have perished, had not the protecting hand of God rested upon him, and established peace between him and the heavenly host. In particular, Satan was jealous of the first man, and his evil thoughts finally led to his fall. After Adam had been endowed with a soul, God invited all the angels to come and pay him reverence and homage. Satan, the greatest of the angels in heaven, with twelve wings, instead of six like all the others, refused to pay heed to the behest of God, saying, "Thou didst create us angels from the splendor of the Shekinah, and now Thou dost command us to cast ourselves down before the creature which Thou didst fashion out of the dust of the ground!" God answered, "Yet this dust of the ground has more wisdom and understanding than thou." Satan demanded a trial of wit with Adam, and God assented thereto, saying: "I have created beasts, birds, and reptiles, I shall have them all come before thee and before Adam. If thou art able to give them names, I shall command Adam to show honor unto thee, and thou shalt rest next to the Shekinah of My glory. But if not, and Adam calls them by the names I have assigned to them, then thou wilt be subject to Adam, and he shall have a place in My garden, and cultivate it." Thus spake God, and He betook Himself to Paradise, Satan following Him. When Adam beheld God, he said to his wife, "O come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the Lord our Maker." Now Satan attempted to assign names to the animals. He failed with the first two that presented themselves, the ox and the cow. God led two others before him, the camel and the donkey, with the same result. Then God turned to Adam, and questioned him regarding the names of the same animals, framing His questions in such wise that the first letter of the first word was the same as the first letter of the name of the animal standing before him. Thus Adam divined the proper name, and Satan was forced to acknowledge the superiority of the first man. Nevertheless he broke out in wild outcries that reached the heavens, and he refused to do homage unto Adam as he had been bidden. The host of angels led by him did likewise, in spite of the urgent representations of Michael, who was the first to prostrate himself before Adam in order to show a good example to the other angels. Michael addressed Satan: "Give adoration to the image of God! But if thou doest it not, then the Lord God will break out in wrath against thee." Satan replied: "If He breaks out in wrath against me, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God, I will be like the Most High! "At once God flung Satan and his host out of heaven, down to the earth, and from that moment dates the enmity between Satan and man.'

This is very interesting , something no one ever mentioned before. Thanks for the link.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:06:00 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »

This gives quite an insight to Jewish beliefs. Thank you!

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2013, 12:19:22 PM »

You are welcome!  angel

It's impossible to know about Judaism without looking into the Talmud and Haggada.  Wink

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2013, 11:17:29 PM »

That's your prerogative, but it would have been better not to bring it up. 

Why?
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2013, 12:19:56 AM »

That's your prerogative, but it would have been better not to bring it up. 

Why?

Why would you talk about something you have no intention of talking about? 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Revelation_1:7

Faith: Christ

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2013, 08:56:22 PM »

In some weird parts of the Talmud i read about Satan assuming the form of a beast, like a deer, shooting arrows to king David.

"Whosoever, therefore, declares that there is but one God, only so as to take away the divinity of Christ, is a devil, and an enemy of all righteousness"

St. Ignatius - Epistle to the Antiochians
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2013, 07:08:12 AM »

In some weird parts of the Talmud i read about Satan assuming the form of a beast, like a deer, shooting arrows to king David.

All are in the Legends of the Jews (Haggada) Wink

It happened one day when he was hunting, Satan, in the guise of a deer, enticed him further and further, into the very territory of the Philistines, where he was recognized by Ishbi the giant, the brother of Goliath, his adversary. Desirous of avenging his brother, he seized David, and cast him into a winepress, where the king would have suffered a torturous end, if by a miracle the earth beneath him had not begun to sink, and so saved him from instantaneous death. His plight, however, remained desperate, and it required a second miracle to rescue him.

Once Satan appeared to him in the shape of a bird. David threw a dart at him. Instead of striking Satan, it glanced off and broke a wicker screen which hid Bath-sheba combing her hair. The sight of her aroused passion in the king. David realized his transgression, and for twenty-two years he was a penitent. Daily he wept a whole hour and ate his "bread with ashes." But he had to undergo still heavier penance. For a half-year he suffered with leprosy, and even the Sanhedrin, which usually was in close personal attendance upon him, had to leave him. He lived not only in physical, but also in spiritual isolation, for the Shekinah departed from him during that time.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/loj/loj405.htm

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2013, 01:03:08 PM »

The Yahwist Hadith, that is. Tongue
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2013, 03:37:01 PM »

Grin  Only someone who is obsessed with my approach to Hebrew would comment so.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2013, 03:46:22 PM »

Is it your approach to Hebrew or your approach to Christianity?

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2013, 03:59:14 PM »

Is it your approach to Hebrew or your approach to Christianity?

Hebrew.  angel

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2013, 04:31:35 PM »

You have your own approach to Hebrew? Like a method of learning the language?
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2013, 07:21:29 PM »

You have your own approach to Hebrew? Like a method of learning the language?

No, not yet.  angel

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: