OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 08:27:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Fr. Seraphim Rose be glorified?  (Read 7928 times) Average Rating: 0
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« on: September 03, 2012, 07:22:53 PM »

I am sceptical about considering Fr. Seraphim Rose a saint. Let us discuss pros and cons of a glorification in this thread.

One con is that he accused Orthodox hierarchs of mass apostasy and considered uncanonical jurisdctions to be more Orthodox than canonical ones.

Source: http://remnantrocor.blogspot.com/2012/09/memory-eternal.html
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 07:41:32 PM »

If I recall correctly he said a similar things about seminaries other than Jordanville in his introduction to the Vita Patrum of St. Gregory of Tours. On the other hand, I believe he softened his stance in later years though. For example, I remember hearing that he communed people from new calendarist jurisdictions. I think he also regretted some of his earlier writings that had helped foster a "super-correct" attitude in some.

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:08:04 PM »

I think you have to understand the state of Russian Orthodoxy at the time to understand these comments. It was a complicated, apocalyptic time, for obvious reasons. To take these quotes out of historical context and judge them doesn't work, IMO. Fr Seraphim did moderate his views on some issues late in life.

But that's neither here nor there. His personal story is grounds enough for sainthood in my view. The Church needs to hold up high such contemporary and relatable examples of radical repentance in this dark world.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:11:00 PM by age234 » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 08:12:34 PM »

He's too controversial in Orthodox circles IMO and that's why I don't see him being canonized.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 08:35:04 PM »

But that's neither here nor there. His personal story is grounds enough for sainthood in my view. The Church needs to hold up high such contemporary and relatable examples of radical repentance in this dark world.

I agree.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 08:44:46 PM »

He's too controversial in Orthodox circles IMO and that's why I don't see him being canonized.

I agree. some of Fr. Seraphim's teachings which remain of record are far too controversial to merit his "recognition" as a saint, the "toll houses" teaching which is outside the consensus of Orthodox Church teaching, is a leading reason that would preclude his "glorification."

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 08:54:17 PM »

I agree. some of Fr. Seraphim's teachings which remain of record are far too controversial to merit his "recognition" as a saint, the "toll houses" teaching which is outside the consensus of Orthodox Church teaching, is a leading reason that would preclude his "glorification."

*cough*St Symeon the New Theologian*cough*

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 09:00:21 PM »

It really does not matter what you all think.  God is the one who glorifies His Saints, and thousands, if not tens of thousands, already venerate him as one.  Your discussion is irrelevant.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 09:01:17 PM »

It really does not matter what you all think.  Putin is the one who glorifies His Saints, and thousands, if not tens of thousands, already venerate him as one.  Your discussion is irrelevant.
I had to.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 09:10:49 PM »

As much as he is controversal in the States, he is highly regarded and venerated in Russia and else where. I think it's only a matter of time before he is cannonized.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »

Doesn't make a difference at all. This is not the Roman Catholic Church this is the Orthodox Church. Canonization is merely the Church's formal recognition of Sainthood. But as the people we have recognized his Sainthood and been venerating and asking for his intercessions for a pretty long time. Long story short; I don't think it makes a difference. We still know and love him whether he is officially a Saint or not.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 09:26:58 PM »

God knows. Maybe He will tell us.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »

Have you considered, then, de-glorifying St. Augustine of Hippo for the same reasons? (It seems that many already have.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:29:34 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »

I hate politics.

Forgive my sins.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 09:49:47 PM »

Have you considered, then, de-glorifying St. Augustine of Hippo for the same reasons? (It seems that many already have.)

I'm not a big fan of the Blessed Augustine either, who was an early proponent of the false teaching that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and and the Son, contrary to scripture.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 10:42:48 PM »

I'm not a big fan of the Blessed Augustine either, who was an early proponent of the false teaching that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and and the Son, contrary to scripture.
It doesn't matter if you're not a big fan of St. Augustine. He is glorified as a saint in both East and West, and he even has a feast day on the Orthodox menologion: June 15.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 11:19:13 PM »

Also, it is up to ROCOR to canonize him  since he was under their jurisdiction.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:20:32 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 11:46:13 PM »

I think you have to understand the state of Russian Orthodoxy at the time to understand these comments. It was a complicated, apocalyptic time, for obvious reasons. To take these quotes out of historical context and judge them doesn't work, IMO. Fr Seraphim did moderate his views on some issues late in life.

I could be wrong but there could be others besides myself that are totally clueless as to what you are writing about.

What was the complicated apocalyptic event or situation in the Russian Orthodox Church? How did Fr. Seraphim Rose solve this problem?

That is my main question, if you have time:
What is it about his life story that makes him a saint?
What sets him apart from Metropolitans Kallistos Ware or John Ziziulas or Fr. Peter Gilquist.
I am only asking for your opinion and not some totally logical justification. I am just curious and will unlikely respond to your answer.

I think this world is not dark. It is brighter than it has ever been.
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 12:29:12 AM »

There are other threads on this subject, such as this one:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,39719.0.html

Regarding the OP, Fr. Seraphim's comments regarding apostasy were mostly correct, though the situation was much more dire in his time than is the case at the present.  Regarding Fr. Seraphim's criticism of other jurisdictions and his respect of the Old Calendarists, St. Nikolai of Zica refused to pray with the fathers of Vatopedi Monastery on Mt. Athos when the monastery adopted the New Calendar for a time, and he provided chrism to the Old Calendarists in Greece who refused to accept the New Calendar despite the decision of the Holy Synod of the Church of Greece (this was before Old Calendarists developed into a competing Synod in Greece with its own bishops).  Regarding Fr. Seraphim's views of the Old Calendarists, if you read his Life, and particularly the book "Letters from Fr. Seraphim", you will see that he became increasingly critical of these groups as he beccame more experienced with the bitter fruits of their fanaticism and sectarianism.

If you have not read his "Life", including the final chapters regarding his blessed repose, his appearances after his repose, the accounts of those who have been healed through his intercessions; if you have not acquainted yourself with the veneration that Fr. Seraphim receives throughout the Orthodox world (Greece, Russia, Serbia,etc.); then it would be of benefit to familiarize yourself before trusting too much in your present opinion on this subject.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 02:05:14 AM »

Doesn't make a difference at all. This is not the Roman Catholic Church this is the Orthodox Church. Canonization is merely the Church's formal recognition of Sainthood.

How this is different from RCs?

Source? I wonder whether his alleged Filioque could be considered as acceptable through St. Maximos' standards.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 02:08:14 AM by Alpo » Logged

recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 08:29:43 AM »

Yes, there are many who truly venerate him & find inspiration in his teachings. There are those of us who do not identify with him and will remain vigilant towards tendencies that may want to render theological speculations as dogma.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »

There are those of us who do not identify with him and will remain vigilant towards tendencies that may want to render theological speculations as dogma.

But then again this is completely irrelevant to the discussion about canonization. We canonize people, not their opinions.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 01:48:22 PM »

There are those of us who do not identify with him and will remain vigilant towards tendencies that may want to render theological speculations as dogma.

But then again this is completely irrelevant to the discussion about canonization. We canonize people, not their opinions.

If that were entirely true, Origen would be a Saint, but he's not. It depends on how heretical and in error the opinion is.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 02:02:32 PM »

If that were entirely true, Origen would be a Saint, but he's not. It depends on how heretical and in error the opinion is.

I thought that it was self-evident that we were talking about Orthodox Christians, not heretics. Having opinions does not make a heretic. Fr. Seraphim was not a heretic.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 02:06:13 PM »

I thought that it was self-evident that we were talking about Orthodox Christians, not heretics. Having opinions does not make a heretic. Fr. Seraphim was not a heretic.

One could debate toll-houses in that realm. If you take toll houses too far, then I think it could become a heresy. The debate should be about if Fr. Seraphim took them that far. (I would say he didn't but it isn't for me to determine)

Iwould argue that if you take toll-houses as absolutely literal in its entirety, then it could be considered heresy. Or if you try to make toll houses a doctrine rather than a theological opinion. I think of it like young earth creationism. If you simply believe in young earth creationism as a private opinion, then that is okay. But if you try to insist that it is correct and has to be correct, then you are bordering on heresy (not to mention scientific idiocy). The same would go for evolution, if you insist theistic evolution has to be correct and is the only possibility and border on treating it like doctrine/dogma, then it could be heresy.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 02:08:59 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 02:10:01 PM »

And then what?  Should we de-canonize any Saint who believes in them?  Anything that has not been set as dogma by an Ecumenical Council is nothing more than Theological Speculation, to some degree. 

One could debate toll-houses in that realm. If you take toll houses too far, then I think it could become a heresy. The debate should be about if Fr. Seraphim took them that far. (I would say he didn't but it isn't for me to determine)

recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 02:12:06 PM »

There are some of us who have serious concerns about some of  Fr Seraphim's teachings but believe he is a saint in the witness of his adherents. We also have concerns that a few of his adherents may want to dogmatize some of his speculations.

Antiochian OC N.A.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 02:21:55 PM »

I could be wrong but there could be others besides myself that are totally clueless as to what you are writing about.

What was the complicated apocalyptic event or situation in the Russian Orthodox Church? How did Fr. Seraphim Rose solve this problem?

That is my main question, if you have time:
What sets him apart from Metropolitans Kallistos Ware or John Ziziulas or Fr. Peter Gilquist.
I am only asking for your opinion and not some totally logical justification. I am just curious and will unlikely respond to your answer.

I like your posts lately Opus more than ever, be careful.

And to the bolded part:

He has reposed something only Fr. Peter has just recently done, if I recall correctly which is unlikely.

But ROCOR will have its Saint.

I think they might want to wait and see how his legacy pans out especially the fruit he planted.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »

A growing number of folks have already canonized Fr. Seraphim.  We're just waiting for the rest to catch up.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 02:53:41 PM »

A growing number of folks have already canonized Fr. Seraphim.  We're just waiting for the rest to catch up.

Like I said about the most recent rush to canonize someone by the RCC, they might want to wait to see what comes to light.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 03:03:44 PM »

Like I said about the most recent rush to canonize someone by the RCC, they might want to wait to see what comes to light.

What do you think is going to 'come up'?  You can read his thoughts and books as well as listen to his lectures.  After 30 years, anything that could come up already has.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 03:19:26 PM »

Also, it is up to ROCOR to canonize him  since he was under their jurisdiction.

My first thought as well, sort of. Actually, at this point in time I would think the start of the recognition would be the ROC-MP.
Otherwise, I have no opinion that I care to offer, sinner enough I am.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »

A growing number of folks have already canonized Fr. Seraphim. 

Do you mean some living room synods?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2012, 10:14:49 PM »

And then what?  Should we de-canonize any Saint who believes in them?  Anything that has not been set as dogma by an Ecumenical Council is nothing more than Theological Speculation, to some degree. 

No, saints are honored and recognized for specific reasons; not too many were perfect in every way.

In the Orthodox Church, there is an essential consensus of "Theological Opinion" on many theological matters, "Theologoumena," that are not church dogma.  But not all deviations from the church's consensus of  theological beliefs and thought, are necessarily heresy.

This is just a broad comment about the dogma and "theological opinions" of the Orthodox Church.  It is not meant to be a comment about any of Fr. Seraphim's specific teachings.

age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »

The Soviet Union and all that. The Russian Church was overrun by communists, millions were dead, churches were destroyed. The Russian Church abroad (small A) was split several ways over differing views of the Russian hierarchy's legitimacy. The fall of the God-anointed Tsar and the Byzantine-style church-state relationship had a devastating effect on the Russian psyche. To contemporary Russians, it really seemed like the world and Church were falling apart and end times were approaching. St. John Maximovitch and others had these concerns and fears, and they unsurprisingly affected and inspired people like Fr. Seraphim to be the way they were. It was a serious time that produced serious men and women.

Fr. Seraphim didn't dream this all up in a vacuum, that's my point. He is a product of his time, just like we all are. Whatever extremes or liberties he took, I feel they are at least consistent and understandable given who his teachers were and what was happening in the Russian Church at the time.

There is much to be hopeful about. But talk to any Russian Orthodox person who was alive during the Soviet period and they will have much darkness to tell you about. And there is plenty of darkness in this world today, and our Lord told us it would be very dark by the End.

Especially among young people, positive role models are needed. Given our culture's obsession with "relevance" in Christianity, among departed saints you don't get much more relevant than a guy who lived in the upheaval of the 60s and did just about every bad thing you can think of—and yet made a total repentance; who then threw his energy into teaching and ministering to the rejects of society who lived on the dark fringes.

We need more like Fr. Seraphim. We all know the Church does not make saints, but sainthood makes a special example of a person in the liturgical life of the Church. To have a holy priest who lived as recently as the 1980s—who overcame and did so much—up there on the iconostasis and in the Menaion is a powerful thing.

Eugene Rose's lifestyle before he became Fr. Seraphim has a lot of parallels to St. Augustine's lifestyle before his conversion. Both men's lives in general seem to have a lot of parallels—yes, even the questionable teachings. But that's not a dealbreaker with other saints, so it shouldn't be here either.

His battle against the passion of homosexuality is particularly striking, and unique (at least among contemporary saints). I can't think of any other saints who are known specifically for overcoming that passion. It would be nice to be able to point to a bona fide saint and show homosexual Orthodox people that they are not alone. We have patrons for every kind of sin, but not really for this one. For people who struggle with this passion it would be nice to be able to point to a saint who "finished the race," and importantly, who lived in our day and time.

I can't say anything bad about any of these men. Having met him a few years ago, I think Fr. Peter is certainly among the saints now.

But I think Fr. Seraphim stands apart because of the example his life can provide to people, the positive impact his work has and does have (especially outside the US, where he is far less controversial), and his cultus. He is widely venerated as a saint already, which is grounds for the Church to engage in the glorification process.

I don't think the tollhouses should be an important factor in his glorification one way or the other. We don't make or reject sainthood on the basis of one's Theology 101 exam. Call it theologumenon and move on. Sainthood is based on God's work manifested in a person's life, and no one can deny Fr. Seraphim's good fruit.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:15:55 PM by age234 » Logged
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2012, 12:55:02 AM »

The Soviet Union and all that. The Russian Church was overrun by communists, millions were dead, churches were destroyed. The Russian Church abroad (small A) was split several ways over differing views of the Russian hierarchy's legitimacy. The fall of the God-anointed Tsar and the Byzantine-style church-state relationship had a devastating effect on the Russian psyche. To contemporary Russians, it really seemed like the world and Church were falling apart and end times were approaching. St. John Maximovitch and others had these concerns and fears, and they unsurprisingly affected and inspired people like Fr. Seraphim to be the way they were. It was a serious time that produced serious men and women.

Fr. Seraphim didn't dream this all up in a vacuum, that's my point. He is a product of his time, just like we all are. Whatever extremes or liberties he took, I feel they are at least consistent and understandable given who his teachers were and what was happening in the Russian Church at the time.

There is much to be hopeful about. But talk to any Russian Orthodox person who was alive during the Soviet period and they will have much darkness to tell you about. And there is plenty of darkness in this world today, and our Lord told us it would be very dark by the End.

Especially among young people, positive role models are needed. Given our culture's obsession with "relevance" in Christianity, among departed saints you don't get much more relevant than a guy who lived in the upheaval of the 60s and did just about every bad thing you can think of—and yet made a total repentance; who then threw his energy into teaching and ministering to the rejects of society who lived on the dark fringes.

We need more like Fr. Seraphim. We all know the Church does not make saints, but sainthood makes a special example of a person in the liturgical life of the Church. To have a holy priest who lived as recently as the 1980s—who overcame and did so much—up there on the iconostasis and in the Menaion is a powerful thing.

Eugene Rose's lifestyle before he became Fr. Seraphim has a lot of parallels to St. Augustine's lifestyle before his conversion. Both men's lives in general seem to have a lot of parallels—yes, even the questionable teachings. But that's not a dealbreaker with other saints, so it shouldn't be here either.

His battle against the passion of homosexuality is particularly striking, and unique (at least among contemporary saints). I can't think of any other saints who are known specifically for overcoming that passion. It would be nice to be able to point to a bona fide saint and show homosexual Orthodox people that they are not alone. We have patrons for every kind of sin, but not really for this one. For people who struggle with this passion it would be nice to be able to point to a saint who "finished the race," and importantly, who lived in our day and time.

I can't say anything bad about any of these men. Having met him a few years ago, I think Fr. Peter is certainly among the saints now.

But I think Fr. Seraphim stands apart because of the example his life can provide to people, the positive impact his work has and does have (especially outside the US, where he is far less controversial), and his cultus. He is widely venerated as a saint already, which is grounds for the Church to engage in the glorification process.

I don't think the tollhouses should be an important factor in his glorification one way or the other. We don't make or reject sainthood on the basis of one's Theology 101 exam. Call it theologumenon and move on. Sainthood is based on God's work manifested in a person's life, and no one can deny Fr. Seraphim's good fruit.

Thank you for going beyond what I asked for Age234. I understand much more clearly what you are referring to.

I am glad that you feel there is much to be hopeful about. No matter how much darkness surrounds me I cannot dwell on it because I fear it will result in my spiritual death. I confess that I do often dwell on the darkness but I fight it by remembering Holy Week and the meaning of Christ's resurrection, the light from the candle that I held and the words of St. John of Chrysostom's sermon. The war is over and we hold the light of that within us. This may seem simple minded and it probably is.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2012, 12:56:50 AM »

Yeah, sure.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2012, 01:44:16 AM »

Almost all conservative Orthodox I have met

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2012, 01:46:23 AM »

I want whatever you are drinking!  Cheesy

Forgive my sins.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2012, 01:49:19 AM »

+1

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 05:04:23 AM »

What an Earth is "conservative Orthodox"?

Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 08:54:14 AM »

If you have to ask, you are probably not capable of understanding the answer.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2012, 09:10:56 AM »

If you have to ask, you are probably not capable of understanding the answer.

If there is such thing as "conservative Orthodox" augustin and stashko are the most conservative posters of OC.net.

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »

Pour me one, too, please!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »

Pour me one, too, please!

Achronos,  celticfan1888, stavros_388

I think I wrote about this before.

It is called Zinfandel.

For some it causes elation and hope.

For others it causes sorrow and despair.

One of these days I need to get you guys over for dinner.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: