OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 04:50:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rock/Metal Music  (Read 1286 times) Average Rating: 0
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Romans 10:9-10

« on: September 03, 2012, 04:29:50 PM »

Hey everyone...

So, I have recently had problems with drugs and depression but have been coming out of it and am finding peace in our Orthodox faith. I've been trying my best to give up any evil influences in my life. Now, I'm a musician. I've been playing guitar for about 5-6 years. Recently, I screwed over my best friend because I'd ditch band practice to go smoke pot or do whatever and so he kicked me out. I was only in temporarily because I was needed to play bass for one show. However, he came to my house yesterday with the drummer after not seeing me for about a month and we hugged it out and everything, but now he really wants me back in the band since I'm getting clean and because he can't find anyone that mends with the band as good as I do. However, my priest, an Archimandrite who I have been getting spiritual advice from for over a year and whom I met over Facebook, is telling me that it is a bad idea to rejoin the band because rock music is not godly and is evil. When I told my friend this, and I did so respectively, he kept telling me how it would be a good outlet because the band is about doing things differently than most people. The band isn't about drugs, sex, etc. It's about putting our emotions into music and using music as an extension of our beings to create something positive.

I'm torn as to what to do. My friend really needs me and is looking out for my best interest, and yet my priest tells me that there is only one way to approach this in a godly manner (though, he did say to follow my heart). I need advice from you guys.

Thank you,

-TC
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:30:23 PM by TristanCross » Logged

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 04:34:52 PM »

Put some lyrics up.

As long as the music ain't stirring up any bad passions, I don't see how it is evil.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:39:44 AM »

It's a matter of spiritual discernment. Rock music is not necessarily evil in itself, but it will include a sentimental baggage (aggression, rebellion), and other carnal emotions that fall short of the goal of Orthodoxy, which is to free man from all sentimentality, purify him from any remnant or suggestion of imperfection, and make him a spiritual person.

What in the world am I talking about? Well, music has to reflect our state of the soul and our highest aspirations. The music of The Church is (pure) Byzantine music. If you want to get a taste of what true, beautiful, contrite, spiritual music sounds like that would be Byzantine music that God has developed through the deified Saints and the Angels. It may sound boring at first, but it really is beautiful, transcendent and also peaceful, balanced.

If you want to read about Orthodoxy and art, I suggest the author Photios Kontoglou:

http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/music/Epilogue.htm
http://www.psalticnotes.com/articles/zion/zion.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:40:42 AM by IoanC » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:51:31 AM »

I would say that we have to be careful on how much of something we consume. I love Rock music, although I don't usually like heavy metal. But I try not to listen to it too much, because at times it can have an effect on your mood.

The same could be applied to other types of music as well. More recently I've been listening to Dubstep, and most recently to "Traditional Pop", Swing, Jazz & generally anything prior to the 1950s, especially Sinatra, Martin, Crosby & others.

If you're depressed, don't listen to something depressing or angry. You can try some of the Depression Era music which was often used to lift people up. Apparently it's been making a comeback in some parts of the world because of economic troubles, and people have "rediscovered" it.

One of the best things to listen to though is of course, any type of Orthodox Chant and hymns.

Of course, if you want to play music and be in a band, you could change it up a bit. Many of the best rock musicians out there can play different types of rock music, and some do branch into other genres as well.
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »

I'm sure there are 500 other Orthodox Archimandrites who are fine with rock music.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:06:50 AM by neon_knights » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 11:10:04 AM »

The music of The Church is (pure) Byzantine music.

Nope. The music of the Church is whatever music the Church employs... including Georgian, Znamenny, modern Russian polyphony, etc.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 11:11:57 AM »

Nope. The music of the Church is whatever music the Church employs... including Georgian, Znamenny, modern Russian polyphony, etc.

What Saints composed those and adopted them officially as music of the Church?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 11:27:03 AM »

What Saints composed those and adopted them officially as music of the Church?

I don't know. It doesn't matter. Plenty of saints have sung in these modes, that's for sure.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 11:35:37 AM »

I don't know. It doesn't matter. Plenty of saints have sung in these modes, that's for sure.

What do you mean you don't know, it doesn't matter? That's silly and rude.

Byzantine is the only music of The Church and it has eight modes. It sounds a bit different according to where it is sung, Romania, Greece, but polyphony and folk elements are to be avoided as they are secular in origin, not divinely inspired. As far as authentic Byz music has ever got is using two voices in a very particular way.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:41:18 AM by IoanC » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »

It doesn't matter whether known saints composed in these modes or not. By your reasoning, we should purge the countless hymns and settings which were composed anonymously.

Byzantine is the only music of The Church

Obviously you are wrong, and repeating the same thing will not make you any less wrong.

and it has eight modes.

Eight modes derived from secular ancient Greek music theory.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 11:59:53 AM »

Byzantine is the only music of The Church and it has eight modes. It sounds a bit different according to where it is sung, Romania, Greece, but polyphony and folk elements are to be avoided as they are secular in origin, not divinely inspired. As far as authentic Byz music has ever got is using two voices in a very particular way.

How about the famous hymn Agni Parthene? It isn't "Byzantine" (it is Byzantine in style & inspiration, but isn't proper Byzantine as typically done) as you say, yet it was composed by a saint (St. Nektarios of Aegina).

You are so wrong in your assumption. There isn't an official chant of the church, just as there isn't a "holy language" of the church. If you learn the history of your church you'd learn this.

Byzantine co-existed and currently co-exists with other chants like Old Roman Chant, Gothic Chant, Gaelic Chant, Ambrosian Chant, Gallican Chant, Cistercian Chant, Mozarabic Chant, Coptic Chant, Gregorian Chant, Russian Chant, Romanian Chant, Serbian Chant, Georgian Chant and Armenian Chant.

Byzantine was just the style used in Hagia Sophia and eventually spread to other parts of the empire. However it was never "the" chant, nor was it the official style. In fact, the style of Byzantine we have today is a much evolved and changed form of the original.

We have hundreds of hymns and melodies composed by people we don't know the names of. St. Romanos and others are just a few we know the names of, and they didn't even compose the majority of our hymns.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:01:54 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 12:09:24 PM »

How about the famous hymn Agni Parthene? It isn't "Byzantine" (it is Byzantine in style & inspiration, but isn't proper Byzantine as typically done) as you say, yet it was composed by a saint (St. Nektarios of Aegina).

You are so wrong in your assumption. There isn't an official chant of the church, just as there isn't a "holy language" of the church. If you learn the history of your church you'd learn this.

Byzantine co-existed and currently co-exists with other chants like Old Roman Chant, Gothic Chant, Gaelic Chant, Ambrosian Chant, Gallican Chant, Cistercian Chant, Mozarabic Chant, Coptic Chant, Gregorian Chant, Russian Chant, Romanian Chant, Serbian Chant, Georgian Chant and Armenian Chant.

Byzantine was just the style used in Hagia Sophia and eventually spread to other parts of the empire. However it was never "the" chant, nor was it the official style. In fact, the style of Byzantine we have today is a much evolved and changed form of the original.

We have hundreds of hymns and melodies composed by people we don't know the names of. St. Romanos and others are just a few we know the names of, and they didn't even compose the majority of our hymns.

So, why do they use and develop only Byzantine music on Mount Athos, regardless of ethnicity? What we are saying here is that there aren't any rules, anything goes really.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:10:51 PM by IoanC » Logged
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 12:19:38 PM »

Uh...can you please argue privately?

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 12:24:25 PM »

So, why do they use and develop only Byzantine music on Mount Athos, regardless of ethnicity? What we are saying here is that there aren't any rules, anything goes really.

Mount Athos is in Greece. Does Mount Athos represent all of Orthodoxy, or set the rule for all Orthodox Churches? I think not. Mount Athos uses Byzantine Time, does that mean we should also, or that Byzantine Time is more holy than regular time?

You are falling into the "slippery slope" fallacy here. Just because we are saying Byzantine isn't the only "holy chant" doesn't automatically mean we can start using instruments and "contemporary" worship in our services.

In Greece, liturgy is in ancient Greek. Does that mean we should all have our services in ancient Greek? Or that ancient Greek is more holy than modern Greek? Certainly not! We aren't Roman Catholics, we don't believe in sacred languages. Wherever Orthodoxy is taken, there the services are always translated into the vernacular language (which ancient Greek originally was). In the same realm, wherever Orthodoxy is taken, the people there eventually form their own style of chanting, which may or may not be similar to Byzantine Chant. Again, in the same realm, wherever Orthodoxy is taken, the people eventually form their own unique & traditional architectural style. It may or may not reflect 14th & 15th Century Byzantine architecture, but it is nonetheless holy.

Our Church isn't the Byzantine Empire frozen in the 1400s. It is a living and growing tradition.

As I'm in the profession of architecture, I can draw an analogy here. Traditional and vernacular architecture (i would argue) is the best and most beautiful form of architecture. However, we aren't frozen or bound to the classical tradition of ancient Greece, or ancient Rome. We have the ability and the duty to expand the classical & traditional language. However, that doesn't mean we have permission to do as the modernist architects did 100 years ago and completely throw out tradition and start an architectural free-for-all. Whether its Classical Greek, Classical Roman,  Romanesque, Byzantine, Neo-Byzantine, Neo-Classical, Baroque, or Vernacular it's all beautiful and the language can and has expanded without being completely thrown open.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:30:02 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Antonis
Prodigal
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 08:49:06 PM »

OC.net doesn't want to answer a question: "Ask your spiritual father."

OC.net hears advice from a spiritual father they don't like: "Don't listen to your spiritual father."

I agree with him.

For peace in the whole world,
for the stability of the holy churches of God,
and for the unity of all,
let us pray to the Lord.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 10:23:56 PM »

There is a great documentary on youtube called "they sold their souls for rock and roll".  It is an eye opener on music.   Check it out.

Optionally you can buy the 10 hour volume online.  I bought it and was absolutely stunned.  It's life changing.  In fact, I disagree when people say "the music is not bad in an of itself".

If they saw the documented facts of the evolution of Jazz into Rock, and what the artists said, along with the beat atonements I think many would change their minds quick.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 10:24:38 PM »

There is a great documentary on youtube called "they sold their souls for rock and roll".  It is an eye opener on music.   Check it out.

Optionally you can buy the 10 hour volume online.  I bought it and was absolutely stunned.  It's life changing.  In fact, I disagree when people say "the music is not bad in an of itself".

If they saw the documented facts of the evolution of Jazz into Rock, and what the artists said, along with the beat atonements I think many would change their minds quick.
I'm going to watch it and give an objetive opinion on it soon.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 10:49:27 PM »

What the hell is a beat atonement?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 01:33:18 AM »

+1

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 01:51:38 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqecQNF459E

There's Part 1 of the special yeshuaiasm links.

I'm already foaming at the mouth.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 01:53:12 AM »

I'm sure there are 500 other Orthodox Archimandrites who are fine with rock music.
Plus...

Are we talking an Archimandrite,

Or an Archimandrite?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 02:05:43 AM »

Isn't that when you have to listen to bad poetry by drugged out proto-hippie losers as penance for your sins?

"Radiant cool, craaazy nightmares / Zen New Jersey nowheres..."

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 09:04:40 AM »

Mount Athos is in Greece. Does Mount Athos represent all of Orthodoxy, or set the rule for all Orthodox Churches? I think not. Mount Athos uses Byzantine Time, does that mean we should also, or that Byzantine Time is more holy than regular time?

You are falling into the "slippery slope" fallacy here. Just because we are saying Byzantine isn't the only "holy chant" doesn't automatically mean we can start using instruments and "contemporary" worship in our services.

In Greece, liturgy is in ancient Greek. Does that mean we should all have our services in ancient Greek? Or that ancient Greek is more holy than modern Greek? Certainly not! We aren't Roman Catholics, we don't believe in sacred languages. Wherever Orthodoxy is taken, there the services are always translated into the vernacular language (which ancient Greek originally was). In the same realm, wherever Orthodoxy is taken, the people there eventually form their own style of chanting, which may or may not be similar to Byzantine Chant. Again, in the same realm, wherever Orthodoxy is taken, the people eventually form their own unique & traditional architectural style. It may or may not reflect 14th & 15th Century Byzantine architecture, but it is nonetheless holy.

Our Church isn't the Byzantine Empire frozen in the 1400s. It is a living and growing tradition.

As I'm in the profession of architecture, I can draw an analogy here. Traditional and vernacular architecture (i would argue) is the best and most beautiful form of architecture. However, we aren't frozen or bound to the classical tradition of ancient Greece, or ancient Rome. We have the ability and the duty to expand the classical & traditional language. However, that doesn't mean we have permission to do as the modernist architects did 100 years ago and completely throw out tradition and start an architectural free-for-all. Whether its Classical Greek, Classical Roman,  Romanesque, Byzantine, Neo-Byzantine, Neo-Classical, Baroque, or Vernacular it's all beautiful and the language can and has expanded without being completely thrown open.

Without getting into a complex discussion about music, I can guarantee that Byzantine music is Holy and God inspired, and it is perfect for our Salvation and Edification. Really, I am not going to going to make an absolute out of Byzantine music, as an all-encompassing phenomenon, but I will say that in particular, in itself, Byzantine music is a divine product. If you know of any other music that equals it, it's up to you, not going to disagree, though never heard of, nor seen practised myself in any place of worship that is serious about what they are doing. (not implying that those who don't use it, aren't serious, just never saw, nor heard of it myself) So, to me, you'd be on your own, and I could never agree with you, be it only because I don't know. Yet, what I do know, is enough for the purpose of Salvation.

Mount Athos uses Byzantine music because The Greek Church believes Byzantine music is Holy music, not because Greek Byzantine music in particular is Holy. Byzantine music is universal.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:35:01 AM by IoanC » Logged
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 09:17:14 AM »

Eight modes derived from secular ancient Greek music theory.

They are not derived at all. In fact, the modes are so different both in scale construction and ethos (most importantly, which is derived from the music of the synagogue) that Byzantine music is something altogether different. The only reason it can be said that it was derived from Greek scales is that God wanted to not seem that He is alienating people from their technical skills and because there is some sort of correlation, in appearance, not in principle, which He had planned, but not at all intended to mean that the music in itself has anything to do with Ancient Greek music, in principle. The whole point of Byzantine music is to be a revelation of God, The Kingdom of Heaven, in perfect accord with the Spirit of The Gospel, and the whole of our Faith.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:18:10 AM by IoanC » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 11:51:54 AM »

I don't like Byzantine music. Will I go to hell?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 12:05:48 PM »

I like some Byzantine music (it's generally a bit stuffy for my tastes, but I've heard some beautiful hymns), but my church doesn't use it, because we have our own tradition. Will my church go to hell?

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 12:27:12 PM »

Probably... something wrong with your tastes because God most certainly loves it.  Grin
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »

It's more like heaven will be torment to you, because there is nothing but Byzantine music there. When people talk about the "River of Fire" it's really a metaphor for an endless ison in tone 1.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:29:41 PM by Iconodule » Logged

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »

I like some Byzantine music (it's generally a bit stuffy for my tastes, but I've heard some beautiful hymns), but my church doesn't use it, because we have our own tradition. Will my church go to hell?

Your church, yes, don't know about the people.  Grin
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 12:28:45 PM »

Probably... something wrong with your tastes because God most certainly loves it.  Grin

God loves Russian "westernized" style chanting too, judging by the countless saints who have only known it.

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »

God loves Russian "westernized" style chanting too, judging by the countless saints who have only known it.

Well, I hate it. It drives me crazy, in all honesty. Maybe I will go to hell?  Grin
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2012, 01:11:22 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Yes.  You are going to hell.
Hey everyone...

So, I have recently had problems with drugs and depression but have been coming out of it and am finding peace in our Orthodox faith. I've been trying my best to give up any evil influences in my life. Now, I'm a musician. I've been playing guitar for about 5-6 years. Recently, I screwed over my best friend because I'd ditch band practice to go smoke pot or do whatever and so he kicked me out. I was only in temporarily because I was needed to play bass for one show. However, he came to my house yesterday with the drummer after not seeing me for about a month and we hugged it out and everything, but now he really wants me back in the band since I'm getting clean and because he can't find anyone that mends with the band as good as I do. However, my priest, an Archimandrite who I have been getting spiritual advice from for over a year and whom I met over Facebook, is telling me that it is a bad idea to rejoin the band because rock music is not godly and is evil. When I told my friend this, and I did so respectively, he kept telling me how it would be a good outlet because the band is about doing things differently than most people. The band isn't about drugs, sex, etc. It's about putting our emotions into music and using music as an extension of our beings to create something positive.

I'm torn as to what to do. My friend really needs me and is looking out for my best interest, and yet my priest tells me that there is only one way to approach this in a godly manner (though, he did say to follow my heart). I need advice from you guys.

Thank you,

-TC

I wouldn't dare disrespect your Priest, but my own Confessor and our clergy are familiar with my experience as a rather heavy playing musician (though I also play in jazz bands, reggae bands, blues bands, jam bands..). That being said, perhaps you can ask your spiritual father to elaborate exactly what he means about the music thing? Is it just a matter of taste? I don't recall Orthodox issuing an Anathema's against metal music if it is not drug/sex/evil oriented in general.  Just being loud or distasteful is not exactly contrary to Orthodox Wink

So again, discuss it with your spiritual father and express your feelings and the sincerity of your intentions. The content of music is very important, the Orthodox have the concept of energization, and negative things are energized by negative forces, but if the music you play is no overtly negative then perhaps  your father will renegotiate?  Ask him to express his more specific spiritual concerns, and perhaps nudge his ribs a bit about how just being loud or fast as music is not inherently energized by Satan, it is the content of the lyrics and the intentions of the musicians which determines that.  I can say there are several of us metal-heads floating around the Orthodox Church, and there are even a few bands!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:18:40 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2012, 01:53:05 PM »

Just to follow up and clear some up things up:

The priest is technically not my spiritual father. He has helped me over a long period of time, but I live in NY and he lives in Florida. My spiritual father is the priest of my church, whom I have not discussed these things with yet (I haven't been to church since the beginnin of the year).

I have decided to rejoin the band but I told my buddy I won't be able to do it if it has a negative influence on me. So far things are good. We have two shows coming up (one of them is a cover show in which we are playing a set as Nirvana lol)

— St. John Chrysostom
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »

Dude, don't ask questions like this on an internet forum if you want to maintain your sanity or any hope of salvation.

though, he did say to follow my heart

Wisdom, let us attend!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:17:17 PM by Alpo » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Just to follow up and clear some up things up:

The priest is technically not my spiritual father. He has helped me over a long period of time, but I live in NY and he lives in Florida. My spiritual father is the priest of my church, whom I have not discussed these things with yet (I haven't been to church since the beginnin of the year).

I have decided to rejoin the band but I told my buddy I won't be able to do it if it has a negative influence on me. So far things are good. We have two shows coming up (one of them is a cover show in which we are playing a set as Nirvana lol)

Then I suggest you take the one fathers advice in good spirits but with a grain of salt and take this question more specifically to your spiritual father.  Here is another rhetorical question which I don't want you answer here, why haven't you been to your Church or to see your spiritual father in 9 months?  That is a long time to miss, and a lot of ground to have to cover.  After all, we develop a long term relationship with our confessors, they understand our spiritual progress and know the depths of our weaknesses, these are given invaluable insight by the Holy Spirit and how we as individuals can follow our own nuanced version of the Canons and Laws according to our own needs and where we are at on the path along the Way.  If you are covering Nirvana but NOT doing heroin should be fine, so long as your own spiritual father approves Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:41:04 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Antonis
Prodigal
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »

Come on Michal, that is not the attitude we should have with our Orthodox brothers. I would expect that response from a secularist when I say the Orthodox Church is the one true Church, not from Orthodox on this forum.

Why we speak with such bitterness here on what we claim is an Orthodox forum... I don't understand it.

For peace in the whole world,
for the stability of the holy churches of God,
and for the unity of all,
let us pray to the Lord.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2012, 12:19:31 AM »

Dude, don't ask questions like this on an internet forum if you want to maintain your sanity or any hope of salvation.

though, he did say to follow my heart

Wisdom, let us attend!

Apparently his heart led him to post his question on a message board Wink

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2012, 04:21:34 PM »

How can a church go to hell?

On a OC.net diet.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2012, 04:25:46 PM »

I was joking around, Cyrillic. Smiley

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »

I was joking around, Cyrillic. Smiley