OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 08:46:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you burn incense at home?  (Read 973 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« on: November 30, 2012, 02:58:27 PM »

What the subject says.

And do you have alternatives to using coal?  I don't mind using coal, but if we're not praying for a long time then it is a waste of coal.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 03:04:21 PM »

I am sure some here will find it anathema, but conical incense works well on the rare occasions I use it.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:05:48 PM »

You could try out some Athonite Charcoal Powder. I have not tried it out, but it looks like a good option. I plan to get some when I have a little extra money. You only use as much as you need to. I'd love to hear from some people who have actually used it.

You can find it on this page: http://orthodoxincense.com/censers.html
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »

I read something on the web about candle diffusers.  Anybody tried that?
Delphine

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 04:01:54 PM »

I've only been using candles so far, but Desert Fathers Incense has cone and stick incense, and it's intended for Orthodox use. They also have oils meant to be added to vigil lamps.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 04:09:05 PM »

I've only been using candles so far, but Desert Fathers Incense has cone and stick incense, and it's intended for Orthodox use. They also have oils meant to be added to vigil lamps.

That's right! DFI Yo! That's my homegirl's company. If you want the hookups, only the best. I've used a lot of incenses but Columbina's is the best by far. She was trained by a Coptic master perfumer.
Thanks for giving her a shout out Delphine.

- SG+

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:18:53 PM »

To answer the original question, I used to have the space for a home chapel ( could fit about 15 people) and developed a more liturgically based way of saying the prayers and using incense. Meaning that I have a small hand censer and during lighting and Trisagion prayers, elevate it, make the sign of the cross with it, and walk around the space while chanting hymns at certain times. Much of it depended on the longer (yet abbreviated for lack of priest) hours in the Horologion.

My advice, use the incense when you have time to say longer prayers and try to be present longer before God. This way you not only increase your prayer but also use your incense wisely.

-SG+

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »

Choy, let your prayers be sent forth with incense before God. It is better that you pray even one word with sincerity than worry whether or not the incense you are using is "orthodox". Do not let it trouble you. I have known some people who are very sensitive to the smoke, so if an oil diffuser suits you, use it.

Joseph Hazen

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 04:38:53 PM »

...am now hoping to find Desert Father's Incense in my stocking on St. Nick's day...

Anyway, Choy we break up the charcoal. One piece into quarters works pretty well, the only problem is that it does waste charcoal still (the dust from the broken cracks you can't really use) and it can get messy. One quarter lasts about thirty minutes or so, and works just like regular charcoal.

The result is that we still rarely use incense because 1) Our smoke alarm is right there and 2) it requires the added preparation of breaking up the charcoal, putting the other stuff away, washing our hands, and then lighting. Laziness yes, but also a fact of life.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 04:44:23 PM »

...am now hoping to find Desert Father's Incense in my stocking on St. Nick's day...

Anyway, Choy we break up the charcoal. One piece into quarters works pretty well, the only problem is that it does waste charcoal still (the dust from the broken cracks you can't really use) and it can get messy. One quarter lasts about thirty minutes or so, and works just like regular charcoal.

The result is that we still rarely use incense because 1) Our smoke alarm is right there and 2) it requires the added preparation of breaking up the charcoal, putting the other stuff away, washing our hands, and then lighting. Laziness yes, but also a fact of life.

I just break it into quarters as well.  It's pretty cheap at the quickiemart if you have one that doubles as a head shop.  As for the mess, my icon table is kinda messy as it is.  I find the detritus of prayer sanctifies it.
choy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 05:29:31 PM »

Choy, let your prayers be sent forth with incense before God. It is better that you pray even one word with sincerity than worry whether or not the incense you are using is "orthodox". Do not let it trouble you. I have known some people who are very sensitive to the smoke, so if an oil diffuser suits you, use it.

Oh, I mean use the diffuser to burn incense.  So the candle is at the bottom and in the container is incense.  Not sure if it actually works, I just read it in some website I got off Google
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 06:07:46 PM »

What the subject says.

And do you have alternatives to using coal?  I don't mind using coal, but if we're not praying for a long time then it is a waste of coal.

I use little Japanese charcoals because 1. they're smaller than the others (unless you have the circular coals that can be broken) and 2. they don't contain the harsh and poisonous chemicals used as binders in the Athonite coals.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Delphine

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 06:31:30 PM »

I use little Japanese charcoals because 1. they're smaller than the others (unless you have the circular coals that can be broken) and 2. they don't contain the harsh and poisonous chemicals used as binders in the Athonite coals.

Any particular brand? And about how short is the burn time?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 07:04:36 PM »

It's Shoyeido (http://www.amazon.com/Shoyeido-Square-Charcoal-Miyako-Piece/dp/B001B63BA8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354316570&sr=8-1&keywords=shoyeido+charcoal), and it burns for around 45 minutes, IIRC. It's not self-lighting, so it can be a pain to try and light, but when it burns it doesn't smoke or release carbon monoxide.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Delphine

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 07:19:36 PM »

It's Shoyeido (http://www.amazon.com/Shoyeido-Square-Charcoal-Miyako-Piece/dp/B001B63BA8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354316570&sr=8-1&keywords=shoyeido+charcoal), and it burns for around 45 minutes, IIRC. It's not self-lighting, so it can be a pain to try and light, but when it burns it doesn't smoke or release carbon monoxide.

Thanks for the link! A couple of the reviewers are saying the burn time is between 20 and 30 minutes, which makes it even more intriguing if that's the case. I still don't quite feel ready to try incense at home, but a lot of the options out there are really tempting.
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 08:03:55 PM »

In the last two years I have:

burned charcoal bricks with incense from Mount Athos and the United States.
burned charcoal powder with incense from Mount Athos and the United States
burned half bricks with incense from Mount Athos and the United States.
burned nickel sized bricks with incense from Mount Athos and the United States.
burned orthodox 'cones' hand made by the folks at Desert Father's Incense.
burned orthodox 'sticks' hand made by the folks at Desert Father's Incense.

I use either orthodoxincense.com or deseretfathersincense.com

both are small operations and orthodoxincense supports Fr. Deacon Seraphim's family. Smiley

The two years of constant trial came from being in a mixed marriage - orthodox and atheist.  I was constantly in search of something I could burn where we would be at peace.

I found that Frankincense is out - and though I absolutely love it, it is becoming endangered, so not a bad thing.

Right now, depending on where and what, I burn either the cones or I use the nickle sized charcoal and place a few incense 'seeds' near by so that I can continue to feed the coal as I pray.  I've noticed it lasts right at 45 minutes most of the time. 

The cones are becoming less and less frequent - as the need for them becomes less.  There is just something about monastic made incense.  Smiley
I found that the powder was a little difficult to manage - and would get everywhere if I wasn't very very careful, but it does burn nice - but not for 45 minutes.

The larger charcoals simply didn't burn all the way, though I have a different brand that I'm going to try, maybe they will do better.

Hope this helps.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 08:16:53 PM »

First I put the little charcoal thing in the bottom of the burner. Then I put the little incense chunks on that. Then I light the charcoal. Then I drop it and burn myself, pick it up and repeat at least one more time. I have a small room, so I'm spinning from poor air circulation before long. I have mostly put it on hold until I can get a new apartment with more space.  Embarrassed

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 09:41:33 PM »

I use a incense burner made of ceramics and aluminium foil that is wrapped around the burner.
Charcoalwise, I use Three Kings and got five different sorts of incense I use from day to day or so (at night prayers).

At mornings, I use incense sticks. It is a good thing as my prayer rule is 1 hour +/- in the mornings and evenings.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 02:42:31 AM »

I use a incense burner made of ceramics and aluminium foil that is wrapped around the burner.
Charcoalwise, I use Three Kings and got five different sorts of incense I use from day to day or so (at night prayers).

At mornings, I use incense sticks. It is a good thing as my prayer rule is 1 hour +/- in the mornings and evenings.

!!!

Good Lord, brother. You're not even baptized yet! Do you have a spiritual father to guide you, at least?

Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 04:33:51 AM »

Yes. Now I am not sure what happens, as he is sick and needs surgery.
Long story, many if`s and maybes at the moment.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 04:41:32 AM »

Yes. Now I am not sure what happens, as he is sick and needs surgery.
Long story, many if`s and maybes at the moment.

God bless and keep him and you as well. +

SG+

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: