OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 07:37:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignatius Bible (RSV)  (Read 1809 times) Average Rating: 0
andronicus

Faith: paleo-orthodox

« on: September 03, 2012, 03:48:58 PM »

I am considering purchasing the RSV - Second Catholic Edition from Ignatius Press.  Is anyone using it?

"The continual remembrance of God is a holy thing."  St. Basil
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Romans 10:9-10

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 04:33:32 PM »

It's pretty good. I'd personally recommend the Orthodox Study Bible or the New Oxford Annotated RSV Bible, however.

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 04:37:10 PM »

I am not currently using the Bible that you are planning on buying (I'm not selling it), so no worries Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 05:05:23 PM »

I am considering purchasing the RSV - Second Catholic Edition from Ignatius Press.  Is anyone using it?

I have a couple and like them.  Gave one to my wife.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 05:07:29 PM »

edit
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:07:41 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 11:18:09 PM »

If you must have an RSV or NRSV, that one is probably the best.

Since its Old Testament is neither the Septuagint nor Blessed Jerome's Hebrew text, it is not the best choice but certainly better than a paraphrase.

The OSB is a good choice even though it's a sloppy translation of the Old Testament Septuagint (at least in the Pentateuch which is all I have reviewed in depth)
Suryoyutho

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 09:10:45 AM »

About the New Oxford Annotated RSV Bible, does anyone know if there is any difference (in the text) between the hardcover and leather books?

http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Apocrypha-Standard-Expanded-Hardcover/dp/0195283481

and

http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Apocrypha-Revised-Standard-Expanded/dp/019528335X

The reason I ask is because the leather one is from 1982 and the hardcover one is from 1977 (and the leather one is quite a bit more expensive). According to Amazon the dimensions of the hardcover are a little bit lower as well.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:33:29 AM by Suryoyutho » Logged

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:20:24 PM »

I am considering purchasing the RSV - Second Catholic Edition from Ignatius Press.  Is anyone using it?

I started using it this past year and love it, but I use the OSB to reference back to or vise versa.  It reads much better for me.  I noticed that I will have to read Maccabees III from the OSB, though. (I'm reading Maccabees II, now.)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:21:06 PM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 07:23:29 PM »

About the New Oxford Annotated RSV Bible, does anyone know if there is any difference (in the text) between the hardcover and leather books?

No there isn't. It's my goto Bible.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Suryoyutho

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 08:59:24 AM »

Thank you. You have the hardcover one? That red cover is removable right? From everything I've read I'm probably going to get this one.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:59:41 AM by Suryoyutho » Logged

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 10:24:03 AM »

The Ignatius Bible (RSV) Catholic second edition psalms etc is in newer English, and The New Oxford Annotated RSV Bible psalms is older Englsih, both very good bibles.

The New Oxford Annotated RSV Bible extended has all the books including Maccabees IIII.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
phronesis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AWRV

St. Mark, Pillar of Orthodoxy, pray for me.

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 04:35:32 PM »

Thank you. You have the hardcover one? That red cover is removable right? From everything I've read I'm probably going to get this one.

No, alas, it is not removable. IMO, the leather is worth the extra cost. I have it and love it.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: