OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 06:33:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So about dem jobs  (Read 387 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: September 03, 2012, 04:21:12 AM »

Anytime I read a story from someone who is unemployed or can't find work it just sends shivers down my spine. However it did lend me a certain perspective yesterday. I was over at my Dad's house and he had some friends over, in their forties and fifties. They were unemployed architects and I knew a little bit about the industry as far as the programs they used. So I talked to them and they've never heard of Revit, haven't touched Photoshop, and sneer at AutoCad.

So the important lesson I learned here is that continuing your education is pivotal in keeping your job. These days, you have to keep up with the latest software and the latest methods, or you're toast. It's really awful how bad the job market is though, I'm trying for an intern position at a design firm but these firms are always looking for someone with internship-experience for their internship positions. Why do you think I'm applying for this position? It's because I don't have any work experience. Why are you requiring work experience in a position that's supposed to be for people with no work experience?

I could be in a worse position, though. I'm young, and proficient in a crap-ton of different software. And yet it frightens me that I may be out of a job tomorrow, I wouldn't know what to do if that happens.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 04:35:12 AM »

Anytime I read a story from someone who is unemployed or can't find work it just sends shivers down my spine. However it did lend me a certain perspective yesterday. I was over at my Dad's house and he had some friends over, in their forties and fifties. They were unemployed architects and I knew a little bit about the industry as far as the programs they used. So I talked to them and they've never heard of Revit, haven't touched Photoshop, and sneer at AutoCad.

So the important lesson I learned here is that continuing your education is pivotal in keeping your job. These days, you have to keep up with the latest software and the latest methods, or you're toast. It's really awful how bad the job market is though, I'm trying for an intern position at a design firm but these firms are always looking for someone with internship-experience for their internship positions. Why do you think I'm applying for this position? It's because I don't have any work experience. Why are you requiring work experience in a position that's supposed to be for people with no work experience?

I could be in a worse position, though. I'm young, and proficient in a crap-ton of different software. And yet it frightens me that I may be out of a job tomorrow, I wouldn't know what to do if that happens.
Yup. It's called keeping up with rapidly changing technology. I face it quite a bit in my career as a computer software engineer. (I also hate debugging multithreaded software code Tongue, but that's a whole 'nother story.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:36:31 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 05:16:29 AM »

It's funny you bring that up because I feel technology has become alot more complicated and complex than it was, say 10-20 years ago. You could have designed a video game with only 2-5 people in a garage but now you need a multi-million dollar budget and teams upwards of 100 or more people (not counting indie games), and you have to create game engines/A.I. alot more complex than before.

It's nuts how technology as a whole doesn't slow down and won't.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 11:09:38 AM »

Try working in a Nuclear Power Plant.  We are having trouble with some of the newer kids coming into the industry because they have never seen or worked on stuff so old.  The regulations are such that it is often easier to reverse engineer some antiquidated device than it is to get approval to use its replacement.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 12:05:51 PM »

It's funny you bring that up because I feel technology has become alot more complicated and complex than it was, say 10-20 years ago. You could have designed a video game with only 2-5 people in a garage but now you need a multi-million dollar budget and teams upwards of 100 or more people (not counting indie games), and you have to create game engines/A.I. alot more complex than before.

It's nuts how technology as a whole doesn't slow down and won't.
I remember fighter pilots saying that they shut down their control panels because it is too distracting.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: