OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 02:57:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which jurisdiction is most corrupt or affected by corruption ?
Antiochians - 0 (0%)
Greeks - 0 (0%)
OCA - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rank the SCOBA jurisdictions - Q5 - Corruption  (Read 924 times) Average Rating: 0
arjuna3110

« on: September 29, 2005, 06:56:54 AM »

Obviously, this is a delicate question.  It seems that all the jurisdictions of Orthodoxy are genuinely committed to preaching and living the Gospel.  Yet, no organization is perfect, and there are problems everywhere.  Also, I am Catholic; and we just had a huge problem with pedophile priests.  As the saying goes: once bitten, twice shy.  So, the purpose of this question is not to offend; and I apologize if this does offend.  Instead, the purpose is to get an idea which, if any, jurisdiction has more problems with institutional corruption.

The main SCOBA jurisdictions (in terms of people and presence) seem to be the Antiochians, the Greeks and the OCA.

Of these, which (in your opinion) is the most corrupt or most affected by corruption ?

Here are some issues relating to these ?

5.  Corruption
--How much are the leaders (clergy and laity) corrupted by money or power or other problems?
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 10:18:44 PM »

None of the above?

Qui cantat, bis orat
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 11:26:25 PM »

Obviously, this is a delicate question.  It seems that all the jurisdictions of Orthodoxy are genuinely committed to preaching and living the Gospel.  Yet, no organization is perfect, and there are problems everywhere.  Also, I am Catholic; and we just had a huge problem with pedophile priests.  As the saying goes: once bitten, twice shy.  So, the purpose of this question is not to offend; and I apologize if this does offend.  Instead, the purpose is to get an idea which, if any, jurisdiction has more problems with institutional corruption.

arjuna,

It didn't occur to me this morning that you'd be making a poll about this particular question.  Let me say that I understand your desire to proceed with caution after coming out of the RCC.  You're right; no organization is perfect, but this pitting of one jurisdiction against another in a way that is so accusatory and potentially scandalous is just not something I'm comfortable with our discussing.  I've reset and locked the poll, not because I consider our Church to be "above reproach" and incapable of any sort of scandal--quite to the contrary--but rather because I don't consider this the place--it's far too public--nor the manner--it's far too vague--to discuss such things.  I'd suggest that, for this delicate subject, you go to the priests in the surrounding area, voice your concerns to each of them, and gauge their reactions yourself.

I'll say it again: the only orthopraxis that REALLY matters is the one in YOUR parish.  "Shop around" in the ones near you and find a home to be involved with there.  Deal with the imperfections there--or, better said, choose the imperfect house wherein you will work out your own imperfections with fear and trembling.

Peace.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 11:27:42 PM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: