OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:54:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saints with a past?  (Read 1369 times) Average Rating: 0
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Romans 10:9-10

« on: September 02, 2012, 05:33:19 PM »

Are there any saints who have battled sin either before or after they became Orthodox?

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 05:38:22 PM »

Holy Prophet Jonah
All the kings of Israel

St. Paul
St. Peter
St. Constantine
St. Justinian

St. Mary of Egypt
St. Symeon the New Theologian
St. Olaf

Well, you know, all the holy, really.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 05:45:49 PM »

When St. Macarius the Great died, his soul traveled to Paradise.

As he reached the gates of Paradise, he heard a voice crying out to him. He saw that it was the devil.

"You have conquered, O Macarius!" shouted the devil.

"I HAVEN'T CONQUERED YOU YET!" Macarius replied.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 05:49:24 PM »

Are there any saints who have battled sin either before or after they became Orthodox?

All of them, IIRC.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »

When St. Macarius the Great died, his soul traveled to Paradise.

As he reached the gates of Paradise, he heard a voice crying out to him. He saw that it was the devil.

"You have conquered, O Macarius!" shouted the devil.

"I HAVEN'T CONQUERED YOU YET!" Macarius replied.

one of my favorite sayings of Abba Macari, look how humble he is, and look how the devil fights even to the very end, and his all time preferred arrow: pride.

such humility even when he sees the gates of paradise accompanied by the angels of light. the proud one, the liar, could not win such a man over.

may the intercession of Abba Macarius the great, be with us.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 07:33:46 PM »

St. James the Faster.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »

St. Moses the Black was a robber, I think.

And St. Augustine led a wild life for a while.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 03:16:15 AM »

St. Sylvanus the Athonite, St. Anthony of Supraśl...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 03:07:26 PM »

St. Augustine of Hippo, my patron. He was a pretty wild guy before his conversion; drinking, partying, fornicating, living with a concubine for most of his life, making fun of Christianity and lying to his mother, making her cry when he decided to travel to Milan I think. The man got more behind than a toilet seat. But then he converted and became one of the most influential saints of all time.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Romans 10:9-10

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »

Any saints that battled with sin after converting?

And I'd love to know what sins these saints were actually dealing with. It's hard to figure that out because most biographies don't fixate on the sinful parts of a saint's life.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:35:54 PM by TristanCross » Logged

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Mokek Kwe

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »

She has already been mentioned, and I don't have a wide or deep knowledge of the Saints (yet), but I think Saint Mary of Egypt is a strong example of God taking something that looks like nothing but ruins to mankind and turning it into something wonderful.

Baptized with my husband and our four year old daughter on May 4, 2013
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 05:14:22 PM »

Didn't Saint John Chrysostom lead a base and vein life before finding Christ?

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 05:17:43 PM »

No. St. John Chrysostom is like the most overrated Saint ever. He was raised in a wealthy family practicing Christianity all his life. All he did was give some great sermons that pissed some people off and gave some of his money to the poor. Not much else. Yet he is still honored as like the greatest saint ever.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 05:22:03 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

St. Augustine of Hippo, my patron. He was a pretty wild guy before his conversion; drinking, partying, fornicating, living with a concubine for most of his life, making fun of Christianity and lying to his mother, making her cry when he decided to travel to Milan I think. The man got more behind than a toilet seat. But then he converted and became one of the most influential saints of all time.

Interestingly, when I read Saint Augustine's Confessions I didn't particularly find his pre-Catholic Church life to be necessarily all too scandalous.  After all, he wasn't a Christian so how could we hold him to Christian values of marriage, besides of which he didn't mention being promiscuous.  He did mention drinking, but not to some kind of excess and didn't mention any kind of debauchery.  Further, he didn't seem to make fun of Christianity so much as scrutinize heavily.  If anything, he seems to have given several Christians some benefit of the doubt and had some respect for others, he just didn't agree with the Catholic Church.  After all, this is common even today, I'm sure in Saint Augustine's time Rome offered the similar doubts.

As to Saints with a past, I came to this thread expecting the cliched Saint with a past to be the number one posted, but I will take the liberty then of honoring him first.
St. Moses the Black was a robber, I think.

Saint Moses the Ethiopian:

straight OG gangsta before being so blessed to come to the Church Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:27:49 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 05:23:18 PM »

Any saints that battled with sin after converting?

And I'd love to know what sins these saints were actually dealing with. It's hard to figure that out because most biographies don't fixate on the sinful parts of a saint's life.
Saint Silouan the Athonite battled against pride as a monk and he came close to despair several times.
Here is a link to a very good website, describing his life in details Smiley

http://silouan.narod.ru/indexe.html

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 05:23:42 PM »

No. St. John Chrysostom is like the most overrated Saint ever. He was raised in a wealthy family practicing Christianity all his life. All he did was give some great sermons that pissed some people off and gave some of his money to the poor. Not much else. Yet he is still honored as like the greatest saint ever.
Oh, OK. It's just that I watched one of those cheesy Saint movies (Tongue) made by the Coptic Church which stated that he was an immoral person before his mother led him back onto the Christian path.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:23:56 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 05:28:46 PM »

I wouldn't say that. He did fight corruption in the Church, among many other things, and was very well liked by the people.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:29:09 PM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 05:36:35 PM »

Didn't he also compile some little liturgy or something?

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 05:41:13 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Interestingly, when I read Saint Augustine's Confessions I didn't particularly find his pre-Catholic Church life to be necessarily all too scandalous.  After all, he wasn't a Christian so how could we hold him to Christian values of marriage, besides of which he didn't mention being promiscuous.  He did mention drinking, but not to some kind of excess and didn't mention any kind of debauchery.  Further, he didn't seem to make fun of Christianity so much as scrutinize heavily.  If anything, he seems to have given several Christians some benefit of the doubt and had some respect for others, he just didn't agree with the Catholic Church.  After all, this is common even today, I'm sure in Saint Augustine's time Rome offered the similar doubts.

I read his autobiography by Peter Brown which sheds light on much of his early life and the sins he committed. He mocked Christianity very often. Including his dying friend's baptism.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:56:35 PM by JamesR » Logged

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 05:43:57 PM »

Oh, and for the record, St. Moses the Ethiopian is boss Smiley straight up G who became religious. And, I love St. John Chrysostom, but I just think that he is kind of overrated.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:45:37 PM by JamesR » Logged

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »

Oh, OK. It's just that I watched one of those cheesy Saint movies (Tongue) made by the Coptic Church which stated that he was an immoral person before his mother led him back onto the Christian path.
Probably. Don't take James' take on hagiographies too seriously.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 05:58:52 PM »

I just cannot relate to St. John Chrysostom because he grew up rich and had everything handed to him in life. It's easy to be religious when you had everything going for you. I prefer the less fortunate Saints like Augustine whose family had to go a year without buying clothes just to pay for his schooling.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 06:00:40 PM »

I just cannot relate to St. John Chrysostom because he grew up rich and had everything handed to him in life. It's easy to be religious when you had everything going for you. I prefer the less fortunate Saints like Augustine whose family had to go a year without buying clothes just to pay for his schooling.
ITT: saying one of the church's strictest ascetics had it easy.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »

And what have you done?

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.

"And if your right hand causes you to sin, tattoo it."
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »

And what have you done?

Absolutely nothing to even be worthy of belonging to the Church.

Antonis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 06:04:28 PM »

And what have you done?

And debasing a Saint is going to improve that status?

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 06:06:11 PM »

And what have you done?

You're right; I repent. Judging another person is not going to help anyone at all. I just don't find St. JC as inspiring as certain other Saints. But to attack his sainthood was uncalled for.

Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 06:09:22 PM »

And what have you done?

You're right; I repent. Judging another person is not going to help anyone at all. I just don't find St. JC as inspiring as certain other Saints. But to attack his sainthood was uncalled for.
Thank you, brother.  Smiley

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 06:37:14 PM »

St. John Chrysostom is like the most overrated Saint ever. He was raised in a wealthy family practicing Christianity all his life. All he did was give some great sermons that pissed some people off and gave some of his money to the poor. Not much else. Yet he is still honored as like the greatest saint ever.

Put a muzzle on it, James.  Your comments are disrespectful, whiny, and ignorant.

Have you ever read about his exile and death?  Or does that not get any cred from you, because you aren't rich by opulent Western standards?

You want to be treated like an adult? Post like one.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 06:58:33 PM »

Considering what our Lord said about rich men I would think you should re-read some scripture before making such inane comparisons.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »

And what have you done?

Learn more about him.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »

So I guess our answers weren't particularly persausive  angel

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2012, 09:00:31 PM »

Google Books has free collections of the sermons of St. John Chrysostom. Just do a search there for his name. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 09:03:32 PM »

I hope that when I become a saint that they create an elaborate legend surrounding me.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »

Persuasive. Not persausive.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »

I hope that when I become a saint that they create an elaborate legend surrounding me.

Why not locate the Menologion application, install it, and read what the Synaxarion says first (November 13)?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 04:06:44 AM »

A man came to father Achronos and asked him, "father, what should I do to be good?", to which father Achronos replied, "everything... and nothing."
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 04:18:58 AM »

Abba Achronos was peeling a sugar cane when brother Apophis came to him lamenting, "Abba, I am in great travail. I have slept with a man's wife and now everywhere I go, I am assaulted by ticks!'

At that moment, the sugar cane snapped, and when the sweet sugar fell from within, it drove away the brother's ticks.

Abba Achronos said, "As the stalk cannot withstand the pressure of my peeler, so a woman yields willingly or unwillingly; such is her lot through Eve. It behoveth man to guard the peeler for the sake of woman, for whom he has reponsibility. The pure sugar produced from a broken and contrite spirit gives us only what is required, without excess or waste."

At this, the brother wept bitterly and his tears turned to amber. Upon each stone was written the word "metanoia". This is why it is said in Egypt: "It is May, the Nile runs amber like brother Apophis."
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:29:23 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 04:29:04 AM »

Abba Achronos was peeling a sugar cane when brother Apophis came to him lamenting, "Abba, I am in great travail. I have slept with a man's wife and now everywhere I go, I am assaulted by ticks!'

At that moment, the sugar cane snapped, and when the sweet sugar fell from within, it drove away the brother's ticks.

Abba Achronos said, "As the stalk cannot withstand the pressure of my peeler, so a woman yields willingly or unwillingly; such is her lot through Eve. It behoveth man to guard the peeler for the sake of woman, for whom he has reponsibility. The pure sugar produced from a broken and contrite spirit gives us only what is required, without excess or waste."

At this, the brother wept bitterly and his tears turned to amber. Upon each stone was written the word "metanoia". This is why it is said in Egypt, "It is May, the Nile runs amber like brother Apophis."
Brilliant.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »

Saint Moses the Ethiopian:

straight OG gangsta before being so blessed to come to the Church Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Though it's not at all what it is depicting, I have had many people say this icon looks like St. Moses is about to throw a punch.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:24:33 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »

Though it's not at all what it is depicting, I have had many people say this icon looks like St. Moses is about to throw a punch.

Serious Saint Moses is serious.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:59:47 AM by Pan Michał » Logged
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2012, 03:38:45 PM »

As serious as anyone of us should be.
We all have a past. What matters is what you do with the now and the future.

This might sound like something a buddhist would say, but it is worth thinking over. For example during prayers.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2012, 05:02:37 PM »

All of them, IIRC.

Early entry for post of month!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2012, 05:59:03 PM »

One doesn't become a saint without realizing just how stuck in sins one is. It's from this realization that the saints turned to Christ, and He freed them, time and again, up until the moment of their repose.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »

Grin  beautiful!

I think it is a matter of great worth and a blessing to note what Abba Moses was doing on this icon for the sake of those who might not know the story and for those of us who would benefit from being reminded of it, while reading this thread. Here is the paraphrased version of the story.

Among his brothers the monks , one brother was found committing a personal sin.  the Abbott of the monastery called Abba Moses to come and judge this brother’s action. Abba Moses, came in obedience to the Abbot’s summon, however he came to the meeting carrying a basket  full of sand with a hole in it, so that the sand trailed behind him from that hole. The brothers asked what Abba Moses was doing; his reply was one of bravely imitating Christ, in the face of such brothers who were incited by the Evil One to become a gang of moral police who in the name of good were demanding the condemnation of their brother for his personal sin.  his reply was that of sincere humility of someone who has never forgotten of what kind of chain he was set free from, of what kind of Forgiveness he has received from Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ Crucified and Resurrected; it was a reply of one who in matters of personal sin choses only to look at and judge the state of his own heart, and not another’s who is also a sojourner in this world, let alone one who is engaged in the good fight.

So what was his reply? He said ‘my heavy and innumerable sins that trail behind me are just like this innumerable sand which is trailing behind me, so how can I while still having all these sins of my own judge my brother the monk for his sin? such imitation of Christ with sincerity resulted in the Spirit doing what He has done in the hearts of those who condemned that adulterous woman caught while committing adultery i.e. none of the monks condemned their brother, however because of the hearts of those monks were like fertile ground to bear the Fruits of the Spirit, they not only stopped their condemnation but in complete obedience to the Will of the Spirit, they truly forgave their brother the monk and asked the forgiveness of Abba Moses who is also a  Priest that stood with humility foiling  the Evil One’s plot to snare the brotherhood in such a deadly snare of spiritual pride.

The seed of wisdom planted by the Holy Spirit on that day still is capable of bearing Fruit,be it  30, 60 or 100 in the hearts of those who love the Son of God who came to call sinners into repentance, Jesus the Savior who would stretch his loving healing hands to touch the leaper the outcast, the reject of society and the world, He who would stand between the accused and the accusers and kneels on dirt to save the condemned. the Eternal who took on  for himself the body of a Slave to liberate all captives of sin and death. The Life: who laid down His Life for the life of Sinners whom He loved even unto death and a death that of on the Cross. The Way: who brings the sinners back to the Father in sincere repentance. The Truth: that annihilates all lies that are the brood and snares of death. To all those who worship God not in outside appearances and putting on of airs , but in Truth and Spirit, they bear the yoke  and manifest the Image and Likeness of the Son of God who is humble and meek. Those are the Saints!

The Priest Saint Abba Moses imitates Our High Priest, thus he remains the Living Icon of Jesus Christ Crucified and Resurrected! Glory be to God Who is Glorified in His Saints! Amen!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: