OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:09:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Happens in Death?  (Read 195 times) Average Rating: 0
jerry

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (catechumen)

« on: August 31, 2012, 08:57:18 PM »

I've tried to find a good answer and my priest didn't really answer my question which is, what is the Orthodox belief on what happens when you die?  I mean is there an Orthodox dogma that says we're asleep until judgment day or are we immediately in Heaven?  I'm a new convert and my protestant family is asking about this as well.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:57:57 PM by jerry » Logged
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:05:34 PM »

There isn't much dogmatized in this area of questioning, but fwiw some beliefs that come to mind... souls aren't asleep after death but are aware of what is going on, as for example mentioned in Revelation; there are two judgments, a first one when we die and then a second one; after the first judgment but before the second we get a foretaste of what we will experience for eternity; those who are condemned are not in hell (which hasn't been created yet) but rather held in hades.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 09:09:14 PM »

I haven't read the whole thing myself, but found this:

Life After Death

by St. John Maximovitch

A description of the first 40 days after death.

Limitless and without consolation would have been our sorrow for close ones who are dying, if the Lord had not given us eternal life. Our life would be pointless if it ended with death. What benefit would there then be from virtue and good deed? Then they would be correct who say: "Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die!"

But man was created for immortality, and by His resurrection Christ opened the gates of the Heavenly Kingdom, of eternal blessedness for those who have believed in Him and have lived righteously. Our earthly life is a preparation for the future life, and this preparation ends with our death. "It is appointed unto man once to die, but after this the judgment" (Heb 9:27). Then a man leaves all his earthly cares; the body disintegrates, in order to rise anew at the General Resurrection. Often this spiritual vision begins in the dying even before death, and while still seeing those around them and even speaking with them, they see what others do not see. [1]

But when it leaves the body, the soul finds itself among other spirits, good and bad. Usually it inclines toward those which are more akin to it in spirit, and if while in the body it was under the influence of certain ones, it will remain in dependence upon them when it leaves the body, however unpleasant they may turn out to be upon encountering them. [2]

The rest is here: http://www.orthodox.net/articles/life-after-death-john-maximovitch.html

"As there is drunkenness for God, which doesn’t see the world in its ugliness, there is also a drunkenness of the world, which does not see in its ugliness the holiness of God." - Fr. Dumitru Staniloae
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 09:34:04 PM »

Some passages that I was thinking of when I made my first post...

"When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. They called out in a loud voice, ‘How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?’ Then each of them was given a white robe, and they were told to wait a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and brothers who were to be killed as they had been was completed." (Rev. 6:9-11)

"Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire." (Rev. 20:11-15)

jerry

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (catechumen)

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 09:34:27 PM »

as for example mentioned in Revelation;

Would you mind posting where in Revelation?

Thanks, I'll check that out.
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 09:34:58 PM »

You stop breathing, your tongue hangs out and black 'X's cover your eyes.  Sorry, couldn't resist.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 09:49:08 PM »

as for example mentioned in Revelation;

Would you mind posting where in Revelation?

Besides Rev. 6:9-11 (mentioned above) there is also...

"Surrounding the throne were twenty-four other thrones, and seated on them were twenty-four elders. They were dressed in white and had crowns of gold on their heads. From the throne came flashes of lightning, rumblings and peals of thunder. In front of the throne, seven lamps were blazing. These are the seven spirits of God. Also in front of the throne there was what looked like a sea of glass, clear as crystal. In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back. The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under its wings. Day and night they never stop saying: Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come. Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say: You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being." (Rev. 4:4-11)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: