OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 09:45:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Explanation of the Sword meaning in Matthew 10:34  (Read 875 times) Average Rating: 0
andrewlya
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and is still learning

« on: August 31, 2012, 08:39:25 PM »

My dear brothers and sisters,
I am not sure whether this has been asked before.
I would just like clarification about this verse.

The reason I love Christianity our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ is because it does not advocate violence of any sort against anyone, it is a very kind and loving religion.

Ive read this verse and would like your explanation...

Matthew 10:34:

34 Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn
a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household [Micah 7:6]
37 Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."
I understand that the "sword" word is not to be taken literally, It's a metaphor?

In verse 21 Jesus is quoted as saying (KJV), "And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." Does this verse mean that whoever in a family is not a follower of Christianity he/she must be killed?

Thank you,

God Bless us all in the name of Jesus Christ.

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
andrewlya
Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:18:20 PM »

Nobody has any thoughts with regards to interpretation of this verse,please?

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:40:46 PM »

I view it as scripture that speaks that there will be debate and strife to become true Christians - even amongst the closest to us.

Our Lord gave us many examples and wasn't entirely SPECIFIC for your case.  For instance, what if you don't have a daughter....

There will be strife amongst some of the closest people you love as you take up your cross and follow him.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:48:29 PM »

My dear brothers and sisters,
I am not sure whether this has been asked before.
I would just like clarification about this verse.

The reason I love Christianity our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ is because it does not advocate violence of any sort against anyone, it is a very kind and loving religion.

Ive read this verse and would like your explanation...

Matthew 10:34:

34 Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn
a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household [Micah 7:6]
37 Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."
I understand that the "sword" word is not to be taken literally, It's a metaphor?

In verse 21 Jesus is quoted as saying (KJV), "And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." Does this verse mean that whoever in a family is not a follower of Christianity he/she must be killed?

Thank you,

The verse is speaking towards those who are faithful against those who do not believe, this happens within families all the time causing great problems .

The only sword that Christ or his followers use in the conflict is the Sword of the Spirit, but the persecutor has in every age turned upon them the carnal sword. The sword is sent because persecutors use it upon the church.

Here is a very good commentary books description,

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
10:16-42 Our Lord warned his disciples to prepare for persecution. They were to avoid all things which gave advantage to their enemies, all meddling with worldly or political concerns, all appearance of evil or selfishness, and all underhand measures. Christ foretold troubles, not only that the troubles might not be a surprise, but that they might confirm their faith. He tells them what they should suffer, and from whom. Thus Christ has dealt fairly and faithfully with us, in telling us the worst we can meet with in his service; and he would have us deal so with ourselves, in sitting down and counting the cost. Persecutors are worse than beasts, in that they prey upon those of their own kind. The strongest bonds of love and duty, have often been broken through from enmity against Christ. Sufferings from friends and relations are very grievous; nothing cuts more. It appears plainly, that all who will live godly in Christ Jesus must suffer persecution; and we must expect to enter into the kingdom of God through many tribulations. With these predictions of trouble, are counsels and comforts for a time of trial. The disciples of Christ are hated and persecuted as serpents, and their ruin is sought, and they need the serpent's wisdom. Be ye harmless as doves. Not only, do nobody any hurt, but bear nobody any ill-will. Prudent care there must be, but not an anxious, perplexing thought; let this care be cast upon God. The disciples of Christ must think more how to do well, than how to speak well. In case of great peril, the disciples of Christ may go out of the way of danger, though they must not go out of the way of duty. No sinful, unlawful means may be used to escape; for then it is not a door of God's opening. The fear of man brings a snare, a perplexing snare, that disturbs our peace; an entangling snare, by which we are drawn into sin; and, therefore, it must be striven and prayed against. Tribulation, distress, and persecution cannot take away God's love to them, or theirs to him. Fear Him, who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. They must deliver their message publicly, for all are deeply concerned in the doctrine of the gospel. The whole counsel of God must be made known, Ac 20:27. Christ shows them why they should be of good cheer. Their sufferings witnessed against those who oppose his gospel. When God calls us to speak for him, we may depend on him to teach us what to say. A believing prospect of the end of our troubles, will be of great use to support us under them. They may be borne to the end, because the sufferers shall be borne up under them. The strength shall be according to the day. And it is great encouragement to those who are doing Christ's work, that it is a work which shall certainly be done. See how the care of Providence extends to all creatures, even to the sparrows. This should silence all the fears of God's people; Ye are of more value than many sparrows. And the very hairs of your head are all numbered. This denotes the account God takes and keeps of his people. It is our duty, not only to believe in Christ, but to profess that faith, in suffering for him, when we are called to it, as well as in serving him. That denial of Christ only is here meant which is persisted in, and that confession only can have the blessed recompence here promised, which is the real and constant language of faith and love. Religion is worth every thing; all who believe the truth of it, will come up to the price, and make every thing else yield to it. Christ will lead us through sufferings, to glory with him. Those are best prepared for the life to come, that sit most loose to this present life. Though the kindness done to Christ's disciples be ever so small, yet if there be occasion for it, and ability to do no more, it shall be accepted. Christ does not say that they deserve a reward; for we cannot merit any thing from the hand of God; but they shall receive a reward from the free gift of God. Let us boldly confess Christ, and show love to him in all things.

You can find this here for any verse:http://bible.cc/matthew/10-34.htm

The commentaries are at the bottom of the page.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:09:35 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:58:27 PM »

I've interpreted Christ saying two swords were enough as meaning: They were necessary to help facilitate his arrest by the Romans as a potentially dangerous dissident leader.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:01:44 PM »

Thank you,

[/color]
No. It means that many in a family who do not follow Christ will kill those who do.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 10:21:04 PM »

Saint Theophylact of Bulgaria's commentary says this:

Harmony is ot always a good thing, while separation sometimes is. The sword, then, is the word of faith which severs our bond to our families and relatives when they hinder our piety towards God. For He does not tell us simply to separate ourselves form them, but only when they will not come with us , and especially when they hinder us in our faith. 

Regarding verse 21, the saint says this:

He foretells to them the things that will happen, so that when they occur the disciples will not be dismayed. He also shows them the power of the Gospel that is preached, how it causes men to hold in contempt nature itself, for such is Christianity. He also reveals the inhuman rage of those who will not spare even their closest kin.

It does not mean that non-Christians in your family should be killed- quite the opposite, it means to expect that your family may have you killed for being a Christian, something which we see many times in the early Christians martyrs, who are often delivered to death by spouses, parents, etc.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
andrewlya
Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 07:13:14 PM »

Thank you very much for your answers and clarifications.
The verse would not have meant otherwise as our Father and Jesus are all about love and forgiveness. This is what Christianity is all about.

Amen Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: