OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 02:15:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The East-Antiochian Jacobite Succession??  (Read 1486 times) Average Rating: 0
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« on: August 31, 2012, 01:11:38 AM »

So I stumbled across this website for a cathedral in Columbus, Ohio:

http://stsophiacathedral.com/

And looking at their About Us page says this:

Saint Sophia Eastern Orthodox Cathedral is the
National Cathedral for The Holy Church of the East -
Antiochian Jacobite Succession.  We are located in
Columbus, Ohio USA.

What in the world does all of that mean? I cannot tell who they are in communion with, if anyone...
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 01:23:30 AM »

It means they're Syrian M-word removed/Miaphysites.
14 days of warning for the M-word.

MK
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 03:15:28 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 01:31:49 AM »

They appear to be one of the many, many tiny non-canonical groups (probably ex-something or other) claiming the title "Orthodox" despite not being in communion with any canonical bishop. Compare them with a canonical Syriac church and the difference should be obvious:

Welcome to the official website of St. Gregorios Malankara Orthodox Church of Cleveland, Ohio. Our parish belongs to the South West American Diocese of the Malankara Orthodox Church in India. Our present Metropolitan is H.G. Alexios Mar Eusebius, under the leadership of Catholicos of the East, H.H. Moran Mar Baselios Mar Thoma Paulose II.

Avoid any such group that will not straightforwardly state such information.

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 01:39:21 AM »

It means they're Syrian M-word removed - MK/Miaphysites.
There are Monophysites in Syria? Huh

Odd. I have certainly never heard of any. I do know of the presence of Orthodox Syriacs/Syrians, but never of Monophysite Syrians.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 03:16:09 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 08:22:56 AM »

They appear to be one of the many, many tiny non-canonical groups (probably ex-something or other) claiming the title "Orthodox" despite not being in communion with any canonical bishop. Compare them with a canonical Syriac church and the difference should be obvious:

Welcome to the official website of St. Gregorios Malankara Orthodox Church of Cleveland, Ohio. Our parish belongs to the South West American Diocese of the Malankara Orthodox Church in India. Our present Metropolitan is H.G. Alexios Mar Eusebius, under the leadership of Catholicos of the East, H.H. Moran Mar Baselios Mar Thoma Paulose II.

Thank you, I was afraid of such. I did think at first they were related to the Malankara but calling themselves "Eastern Orthodox" tripped me up, and the fact their "Holy Synod" consists of about five people. Cheesy
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 10:12:51 AM »

Thank you, I was afraid of such. I did think at first they were related to the Malankara but calling themselves "Eastern Orthodox" tripped me up, and the fact their "Holy Synod" consists of about five people. Cheesy
They also seem to be part of the same group as the monk Gurgen who stirred up a lot of trouble a while back.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 10:27:33 AM »

They also seem to be part of the same group as the monk Gurgen who stirred up a lot of trouble a while back.

Who's this monk Gurgen? I haven't heard of him.
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:01:19 AM »

Who's this monk Gurgen? I haven't heard of him.
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13828.0.html
This thread talks more about him. It also deals with the various politics of the Indian OO factions so take everything with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:01:35 AM by sheenj » Logged
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 11:05:56 AM »

One more thing, monk Gurgen was also excommunicated by our Catholicose after he consecrated several IOC priests as Bishops without His Holinesses permission.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13828.0.html
This thread talks more about him. It also deals with the various politics of the Indian OO factions so take everything with a grain of salt.
One more thing, monk Gurgen was also excommunicated by our Catholicose after he consecrated several IOC priests as Bishops without His Holinesses permission.

I see, thanks.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: