Author Topic: Do you have to be baptized to have confession? (Coptic)  (Read 714 times)

Offline SherryTX

• Elder
  • Just keep swimming..
  • Faith: Hopefully Orthodox at some pt
  • Jurisdiction: Other
Do you have to be baptized to have confession? (Coptic)
« on: September 06, 2015, 04:48:19 PM »
I know you have to be baptized before you can take communion, but how about confession in the Coptic church? Can you make your confessions to a priest before baptism? Curious if the answer would differ between different OOs as well.

I was supposed to meet with a priest from the local Coptic church on Saturday (this would have been my second visit with him), but I had an urgent family issue come up so I couldn't go. This was to be one of my questions.  So, I was hoping someone here could answer me.

Thank you!

Offline Jonathan

• High Elder
    • St. Mary's Coptic Orthodox
Re: Do you have to be baptized to have confession? (Coptic)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »
You cannot confess regularly before baptism. The mystery of reconciliation is to reconcile you after you fall after baptism. You must be made part if the Body before you can rupture your relationship by sin and be restored by repentance.

But, prior to baptism you must confess this is not the mystery of reconciling but the repentance in "repent and be baptised". It is normally done within a few days before baptism.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 05:33:51 PM by Jonathan »

Offline SherryTX

• Elder
  • Just keep swimming..
  • Faith: Hopefully Orthodox at some pt
  • Jurisdiction: Other
Re: Do you have to be baptized to have confession? (Coptic)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
Ah, okay. That actually makes a lot of sense.  Thank you!