OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 11:10:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Modern-Day Rabbinic Jews Worship the One True God?  (Read 5411 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« on: August 29, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »

I do not mean this to be disparaging by any means, but can it be said that modern-day Rabbinic Jews worship the true God even though they reject the doctrine of the Trinity? And the belief that our Lord Jesus Christ is God?

I think I know the answer to this, but I am curious to hear what you all think.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 07:04:15 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 07:25:49 PM »

deleted by op
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 07:46:39 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:27:36 PM »

My answer, no.

Reason: Jesus Christ.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:28:10 PM »

NVM!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 07:56:19 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 07:29:38 PM »

My answer, no.

Reason: Jesus Christ.
I think I have to agree.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 07:30:09 PM by Severian » Logged

Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 07:46:56 PM »

yes.
I meant from an Orthodox Christian perspective, not a Jewish perspective. That is why I put it in the "faith issues" board.
my apologies.

Proverbs 22:7
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 07:48:05 PM »

yes.
I meant from an Orthodox Christian perspective, not a Jewish perspective. That is why I put it in the "faith issues" board.
my apologies.
No problem. Smiley

Sphinx

Faith: Searching...
Jurisdiction: Searching...

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 08:03:30 PM »

Judaism (from the Latin Iudaismus, derived from the Greek Ioudaïsmos, and ultimately from the Hebrew יהודה, Yehudah, "Judah"; in Hebrew: יַהֲדוּת, Yahadut, the distinctive characteristics of the Judean ethnos) is the religion, philosophy and way of life of the Jewish people. A monotheistic religion originating in the Hebrew Bible (also known as the Tanakh) and explored in later texts such as the Talmud, Judaism is considered by religious Jews to be the expression of the covenantal relationship God established with the Children of Israel. Rabbinic Judaism holds that God revealed his laws and commandments to Moses on Mount Sinai in the form of both the Written and Oral Torah. This assertion was historically challenged by the Karaites, a movement that flourished in the medieval period, which retains several thousand followers today and maintains that only the Written Torah was revealed. In modern times, liberal movements such as Humanistic Judaism may be nontheistic.

Judaism claims a historical continuity spanning more than 3,000 years. It is one of the oldest monotheistic religions, and the oldest to survive into the present day. The Hebrews / Israelites were already referred to as "Jews" in later books of the Tanakh such as the Book of Esther, with the term Jews replacing the title "Children of Israel". Judaism's texts, traditions and values strongly influenced later Abrahamic religions, including Christianity, Islam and the Baha'i Faith. Many aspects of Judaism have also directly or indirectly influenced secular Western ethics and civil law.

Jews are an ethnoreligious group and include those born Jewish and converts to Judaism. In 2010, the world Jewish population was estimated at 13.4 million, or roughly 0.2% of the total world population. About 42% of all Jews reside in Israel and about 42% reside in the United States and Canada, with most of the remainder living in Europe. The largest Jewish religious movements are Orthodox Judaism (Haredi Judaism and Modern Orthodox Judaism), Conservative Judaism and Reform Judaism. A major source of difference between these groups is their approach to Jewish law. Orthodox Judaism maintains that the Torah and Jewish law are divine in origin, eternal and unalterable, and that they should be strictly followed. Conservative and Reform Judaism are more liberal, with Conservative Judaism generally promoting a more "traditional" interpretation of Judaism's requirements than Reform Judaism. A typical Reform position is that Jewish law should be viewed as a set of general guidelines rather than as a set of restrictions and obligations whose observance is required of all Jews. Historically, special courts enforced Jewish law; today, these courts still exist but the practice of Judaism is mostly voluntary. Authority on theological and legal matters is not vested in any one person or organization, but in the sacred texts and rabbis and scholars who interpret them.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 08:04:48 PM »

Ok so you are a bot from wikipedia.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Sphinx

Faith: Searching...
Jurisdiction: Searching...

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 08:17:54 PM »

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:18:58 PM by Sphinx » Logged
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 08:20:52 PM »

I am liking this poster.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »

I find it classist and egregious.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 08:54:21 PM »

Get back to the topic, people.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »

Sorry, sir. I won't comment as I am not Orthodox.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 08:57:56 PM »

Sorry, sir. I won't comment as I am not Orthodox.
Sorry if I were too harsh. I just came from another forum where all the posters got into an argumentative tangent, ruining a perfectly good thread. I did not want that to happen here so I may have been unforgiving.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:58:55 PM by Severian » Logged

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 10:04:14 PM »

Severian, I have a sincere question for you.  Why are you asking?  This is your thread, so if you don't feel like answering I'll understand. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »

Severian, I have a sincere question for you.  Why are you asking? This is your thread, so if you don't feel like answering I'll understand. 
Just out of curiosity.

Because I have been thinking... The OT Jews obviously worshiped the true God without having explicit knowledge of the Trinity (though I think the OT and extra-Biblical Jewish literature do hint at the idea of a Triune God), but now that our Lord and God Jesus Christ has come, and they know full well about the Trinity, and knowingly reject him, does that mean they worship a different Deity?

EDIT: For me the answer is 'yes.' Their rejection of our Lord Jesus as God the Messiah by necessity means that they reject the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Because He *is* the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob manifested in a complete human form.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:21:41 PM by Severian » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 10:29:23 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I would say yes, however worshiping God and having a proper, New covenant relationship with Him through Jesus Christ are entirely different things.  A LOT of people worship God, and a lot of people before coming to the Church worship God, after all, it is God who brings them to His Church in the first place.  However, only in the Church is the depth of Salvation, which is entirely different from worship in my opinion.  Worship doesn't imply Salvation, just as knowing a person doesn't imply friendship or commitment.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 10:33:37 PM »

Thanks for your answer, Severian.  I wish I could help you out, but I am not God.  I suppose He alone knows who really worships Him and who does not.  I don't think it necessarily falls along the lines of religious affiliation though.  I think many Orthodox Jews are raised to hate Our Lord, but they don't know who He is.  They know the name Jesus, but do they know the Gospel message and have they actively rejected it? Knowing the name Jesus doesn't mean that people know who Jesus is.  We also know, as sad as it is to say, that even some of us who confess Christ with our lips are in fact full of darkness, and on the last day will be cast into hell. All that I know is that Our Lord "wants all humankind to be saved and come to the knowledge of the Truth" and that when he was lifted up on the Cross he "drew all men" to Himself.  How that all works out and even what that all means is a complete mystery to me.  

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 10:37:15 PM »

Thanks for your answer, Severian.  I wish I could help you out, but I am not God.  I suppose He alone knows who really worships Him and who does not.  I don't think it necessarily falls along the lines of religious affiliation though.  I think many Orthodox Jews are raised to hate Our Lord, but they don't know who He is.  They know the name Jesus, but do they know the Gospel message and have they actively rejected it? Knowing the name Jesus doesn't mean that people know who Jesus is.  We also know, as sad as it is to say, that even some of us who confess Christ with our lips are in fact full of darkness, and on the last day will be cast into hell. All that I know is that Our Lord "wants all humankind to be saved and come to the knowledge of the Truth" and that when he was lifted up on the Cross he "drew all men" to Himself.  How that all works out and even what that all means is a complete mystery to me. 
Thank you for the contribution, Ionnis.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:46:20 PM by Severian » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 10:42:05 PM »

Thanks for your answer, Severian.  I wish I could help you out, but I am not God.  I suppose He alone knows who really worships Him and who does not.  I don't think it necessarily falls along the lines of religious affiliation though.  I think many Orthodox Jews are raised to hate Our Lord, but they don't know who He is.  They know the name Jesus, but do they know the Gospel message and have they actively rejected it? Knowing the name Jesus doesn't mean that people know who Jesus is.  We also know, as sad as it is to say, that even some of us who confess Christ with our lips are in fact full of darkness, and on the last day will be cast into hell. All that I know is that Our Lord "wants all humankind to be saved and come to the knowledge of the Truth" and that when he was lifted up on the Cross he "drew all men" to Himself.  How that all works out and even what that all means is a complete mystery to me.  
If they are worshipping anything other than the Orthodox understanding of the Trinity, they aren't worshipping the One True God.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 10:43:17 PM »

If they are worshipping anything other than the Orthodox understanding of the Trinity, they aren't worshipping the One True God.

I concur!

Forgive my sins.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 10:46:42 PM »

Being a modern day Jew is an active, even indirect, denial of the second person of the Holy Trinity. It's that simple.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 11:06:10 PM »

All that I know is that if the unbelieving Jews will be cast into darkness, how much worse it will be for us, those of us who are Orthodox, those of us who do believe, and yet continue to live in sin.

But if that servant says to himself, ‘My master is delayed in coming,’ and begins to beat the male and female servants, and to eat and drink and get drunk, 46 the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces and put him with the unfaithful. 47 And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating. 48 But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more. Luke 12:45-48 (ESV). 

Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 11:29:56 PM »

Since they deny God (Jesus Christ and to a lesser extent the personhood and deity of the holyspirit) they cannot be worshipping the one true God. Only but a basterdised version of him.

Thank you.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 11:38:53 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Again, I think a more realistic approach would be to differentiate the concept of worship and salvation.  In this way we can follow the more Orthodox approach of apophatic theology in focusing on what we know God not to be rather than pretending we know what God is.  In this instance its sort of reversed, we know from the Church that Salvation is only found through a covenant, Orthodox relationship with the Father through the Son and the Holy Spirit.  However again, we can't assert that we know exactly anything about where or who God is to folks outside the Church, rather we can only speak of the Church.  We don't know if God is with the Jews, we only know that Salvation is in the Church, but again, it must be some kind of relationship with God which brings outsiders into the Church in the first place correct? Does a relationship or worship of God necessarily imply Salvation? I would think not, see would be better off not even speculating on this matter which is in every respect beyond anything but estimations.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 12:04:34 AM »

I would support a few of the earlier posts. The modern-day Jews do not worship the One True God, otherwise they'd be considered Christians.

The reason being not just Christ, but the Holy Trinity.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 12:23:33 AM »

I do not mean this to be disparaging by any means, but can it be said that modern-day Rabbinic Jews worship the true God even though they reject the doctrine of the Trinity? And the belief that our Lord Jesus Christ is God?

Either they never have or they still do.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 12:23:33 AM »

I concur!

So neither of you believe that Protestants or Catholics are worshipping God?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 03:03:44 AM »

Ergo the "Orthodox understanding of the Trinity" (whatever that is) is the One True God.

Enjoy your god Achronos and Celticfan.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2012, 08:19:29 AM »

Ergo the "Orthodox understanding of the Trinity" (whatever that is) is the One True God.

Enjoy your god idol Achronos and Celticfan.

Fixed

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 08:27:39 AM »

Because it's the best show on Earth

– St. Ambrose of Milan
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »

What confuses me about the Rabbis is some of them have the greatest minds yet they reject the Lord Jesus Christ, why? How come these great minds Jewish Scholars and Great Rabbis reject the Lord Jesus Christ ?.  Huh Huh It really baffles me a lot.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:32:55 AM by psalm110 » Logged
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 09:49:04 AM »

Pointless question, but no offense whatsoever! Orthodoxy needs to preach Orthodoxy because it is the correct and highest worship and knowledge of God. This is what a jew needs to hear, not something that appeals to them on a sentimental level. Christ never said that OT jews were not worshiping God, yet He came to do something different, and He was God The Son, too. Jews and gentiles are now on the same level. It doesn't matter what you are but what you believe, and nowadays there are almost as many beliefs as there are people. You can even find non-jews who convert to judaism. Problem is jews need to pay a bit more attention to what God is doing through history. By throwing this "Christ figure" into human history, God really caused the jews a serious "problem" (but it's a solution). And it's no wonder that the antichrist will be a jew, that some of the jews are so proud that they are willing to overturn history just so they can get to be "God's chosen" again. To the rest of the jews, really, accept Christ, why really hold on to judaism if you truly believe in a loving God? Just so you can be better than other people?

P.S. So, it seems that based on ethnicity, basically, the jews pride themselves and through rejecting Christ they think they are better than others.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:07:34 AM by IoanC » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 10:02:42 AM »

Yes. Jews, Muslims, Arians, Nestorians, Monophysites, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons etc. are heretical Christians. Therefore they worship One True God.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:07:13 AM by Alpo » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 10:22:59 AM »

According to what He told the Samaritan woman, yes.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 10:49:43 AM »

According to what He told the Samaritan woman, yes.

Who's this Jesus guy think He is, telling this heretic things like that?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 04:55:28 PM »

The obnoxiousness on this thread is astounding.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2012, 05:01:21 PM »

Maybe more posters than I thought from Tasbeha.org also participate on OC.net. Wink
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:07:44 PM by Severian » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »

Kill yr idols

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »

You have an opinion different than mine and you explained why?

Ok, idolater.

And here's a straw man about how you hate Jesus.

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2012, 06:01:13 PM »

NVM!

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:02:50 PM by Severian » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 06:02:21 PM »

You have an opinion different than mine and you explained why?

Ok, idolater.

And here's a straw man about how you hate Jesus.
Honestly he took the bait just as I expected TBH.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 06:04:24 PM »

I don't get it. How can you say Orthodox Christians worship an idol for saying that Muslims and Jews worship an idol? Ain't that like a contradiction or irony or something.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 06:05:17 PM »

I don't get it. How can you say Orthodox Christians worship an idol for saying that Muslims and Jews worship an idol? Ain't that like a contradiction or irony or something.
Apparently worshipping the Trinity is idolatry. But liberal Orthodoxy is pretty trendy so

It is hilariously ironic because those above love to idolize their little hero Fr Hopko as gospel.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:09:11 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags: Tasbeha.org'd nadir 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: