OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 11:47:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to properly utilize Holy Water and Oil.  (Read 340 times) Average Rating: 0
anthony1054

« on: February 06, 2013, 08:39:31 PM »

I have Holy water from the recent feast of Theophany and last year as well and I also have some holy oil from the reliquary of St. John of San Francisco. My question is; How to properly use them both? I know that drinking Holy Water is very common and I have done that a few times, I'm just not sure how often. The oil is another, because it is something sacred when would be the proper occasion to use it? I firmly believe that these sacraments are for the healing of of both body and soul, I would love feedback. Thank you!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 11:48:57 PM »

You can drink holy water, for example when you are sick, first thing upon getting up in the morning or after fasting from food and drink for a little. And after prayer.

Anoint your head with oil, putting a little on your ringer and making the sign of the Cross on your forehead saying, "St. John, pray to God for me" when you are sick, or whenever there is a need.

No harm done asking your priest about this, too. He may have more resources for you.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
anthony1054

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 11:59:38 PM »

You can drink holy water, for example when you are sick, first thing upon getting up in the morning or after fasting from food and drink for a little. And after prayer.

Anoint your head with oil, putting a little on your ringer and making the sign of the Cross on your forehead saying, "St. John, pray to God for me" when you are sick, or whenever there is a need.

No harm done asking your priest about this, too. He may have more resources for you.
Thank you for the feedback!
AustralianDiaspora

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 08:35:09 PM »

Where/how does on acquire the holy water and oil? Do you just ask your Priest?

I can no longer cope with the misogynism, bigotry, homophobia and racism here and I have given up this forum. Lord have mercy.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 08:39:59 PM »

Where/how does on acquire the holy water and oil? Do you just ask your Priest?

Basically, yes. It's quite common for pilgrims to take oil with them from monasteries, shrines, etc. so if you know anyone who's going somewhere it's worth asking.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 08:46:36 PM »

Haven't we just had Theophany or something?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 05:30:08 AM »

Hey, give AustralianDiaspora a break, Michal. She's not Orthodox yet, and she might well have never attended a Theophany service.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 07:18:52 AM »

Hey, give AustralianDiaspora a break, Michal. She's not Orthodox yet, and she might well have never attended a Theophany service.

I apologise. I shouldn't take out my bad mood on others.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
AustralianDiaspora

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 11:50:41 AM »

I did attend the service celebrating Theophany but since the Priest wasn't handing out holy water I wasn't exactly going to ask. He is very busy and does a lot with very little help and I don't like to bother him unless it's very important.

I can no longer cope with the misogynism, bigotry, homophobia and racism here and I have given up this forum. Lord have mercy.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: