OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 03:06:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Drive Out Demons  (Read 1803 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: August 29, 2012, 02:55:14 PM »

How to Drive Out Demons:
Results from a new survey of 170 self-professed North American exorcists.

69% never or almost never have the demonized person or a guardian sign a consent form.
99% always or almost always use the name of Jesus in casting out demons.
96% believe that a mature Christian can always or almost always command demons in Jesus'  name.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »

"Self-professed"? Sounds like 170 people have watched too many horror movies.

I wonder how many of the people they exorcize are actually demon-possessed. And of those, how many of them are actually healed.

It's kind of odd that only 1/3 of them use a cross.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:36:45 PM by age234 » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »

I think in many cases people are going through a psychosis of some kind....

Then there are the types when they enter the church, the entire church turns black behind them.
(This is something I personally witnessed as an altar boy)

Then the priest cast out the demon after he walked around the man exorcising him.
The blackness left.

The man trembled, ran out side, and came back in with the blackness again.   The priest asked him to leave.

**True Story**

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:11:48 PM »

"Self-professed"? Sounds like 170 people have watched too many horror movies.
For a moment, I thought it read "self-possessed".

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nikolaostheservant
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »

Then there are the types when they enter the church, the entire church turns black behind them.

Then the priest cast out the demon after he walked around the man exorcising him.
The blackness left.

The man trembled, ran out side, and came back in with the blackness again.   The priest asked him to leave.

**True Story**

"entire church turns black behind them"<----what exactly does that mean? curious.

"entire church turns black behind them"<----what exactly does that mean? curious.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:05:58 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
Sphinx

Faith: Searching...
Jurisdiction: Searching...

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 09:11:19 PM »

A demon is a supernatural, often malevolent being prevalent in religion, occultism, literature, and folklore. The original Greek word daimon does not carry the negative connotation initially understood by implementation of the Koine δαιμόνιον (daimonion), and later ascribed to any cognate words sharing the root.

In Ancient Near Eastern religions as well as in the Abrahamic traditions, including ancient and medieval Christian demonology, a demon is considered an unclean spirit which may cause demonic possession, calling for an exorcism. In Western occultism and Renaissance magic, which grew out of an amalgamation of Greco-Roman magic, Jewish demonology, and Christian tradition, a demon is a spiritual entity that may be conjured and controlled.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 09:54:22 PM »

If your exorcism should require a consent form, you'really probably doing something cultish.

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 10:13:39 PM »

The blackness left.

The man trembled, ran out side, and came back in with the blackness again.   The priest asked him to leave.

**True Story**

I was standing in the altar area on one of the side doors with two other altar boys.  The man walks into the church during vespers.  I kid you not it was a WALL of blackness behind him.  Everything the man walked past, turned into black.  Not just shadowy, like if all light ceased to exist behind him.  There were a grand total of about 10 people in the church, and it was a larger church building.

He walked past other parishoners and I could not see them.  The choir director (female) screamed and was only a few feet from being engulfed by the blackness.   All of us altar boys looked and one kids freaked out and started crying.  I sat there stunned watching. The priest turns around and sees the blackness behind the man.   Then walks around the man performing an exorcism.  Yes, walking THROUGH the blackness, and the priest later said he could not see until he exited the blackness.

Then upon completion of the exorcism, the blackness rapidly left the church (I did not see it leave because I shut my eyes when the priest vanished).  I opened them again when I heard running... It was the man running out of the church.  A short while later, he re-enters the church with the blackness behind him again, and the priest told him to leave.

True story, I kid you not.   No reason to make this stuff up.   One of the scariest events of my life.   Everybody in attendance that night talked about it for a long time.   Everybody in attendance also wanted to go into private prayer together after the event which we did.  The psalms were chanted for the Lord to watch over us.    Scariest freaking stuff ever...

Nikolaostheservant
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 10:27:25 PM »

WoW! Truly scary. Im afraid i would not have seen anything as i would be hiding behind the altar. Brave Priest, btw.
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 11:09:52 PM »

When I was a child I remember having an experience where it was really late at night and dark, I was lying in my bed and the room was pitch black. To this very day I still do not remember whether I was dreaming or if it was real. It felt so vivid. Anyhow, I saw three humanoid, shadowy figures standing in front of me, each with red eyes. I was sweating and crying. One of them came really close to me, its face like one foot away from my face, and I remember thinking something religious and then just 'waking up' and when I 'woke up' the room looked the same but they were gone. To this day I do not know what it was, whether it was a dream or whether it was real.

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 11:16:17 PM »

The blackness left.

**True Story**

I was standing in the altar area on one of the side doors with two other altar boys.  The man walks into the church during vespers.  I kid you not it was a WALL of blackness behind him.  Everything the man walked past, turned into black.  Not just shadowy, like if all light ceased to exist behind him.  There were a grand total of about 10 people in the church, and it was a larger church building.

He walked past other parishoners and I could not see them.  The choir director (female) screamed and was only a few feet from being engulfed by the blackness.   All of us altar boys looked and one kids freaked out and started crying.  I sat there stunned watching. The priest turns around and sees the blackness behind the man.   Then walks around the man performing an exorcism.  Yes, walking THROUGH the blackness, and the priest later said he could not see until he exited the blackness.

Then upon completion of the exorcism, the blackness rapidly left the church (I did not see it leave because I shut my eyes when the priest vanished).  I opened them again when I heard running... It was the man running out of the church.  A short while later, he re-enters the church with the blackness behind him again, and the priest told him to leave.

True story, I kid you not.   No reason to make this stuff up.   One of the scariest events of my life.   Everybody in attendance that night talked about it for a long time.   Everybody in attendance also wanted to go into private prayer together after the event which we did.  The psalms were chanted for the Lord to watch over us.    Scariest freaking stuff ever...

Scary!!!!

So, did anyone know this man?  Why was he there?  Anyone ever see him again?

What of the people who were standing in the back and got engulfed in the darkness....what did they say?  They must of been terrified.

I always wonder how "evil" can enter a church.  IIRC, St. Mary of Egypt was "stopped" at the door of a church and could not enter.  This is what made her repent and go in to the desert.  So, how come evil can so freely enter a church?  You would hope folks would be safe inside from all that nastiness.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 12:55:46 AM »

I kid you not it was a WALL of blackness behind him.

I've seen something like this myself many years ago in my very young idealistic Jesus People pre Orthodoxy days. It was not a wall of pitch darkness per se…but a place that felt very bad…weird and the light was very dim. I prayed then as I had been taught and rebuked whatever it was in the name of Jesus and in that instant the shadows just leapt back against the walls.  A close friend of mine back then had an encounter of the room full of darkness kind..rebuked it and suddenly it vanished and room was filled with natural moonlight.  It is creepy, no doubt.

After I became Orthodox I sometimes had nightmares with those same scary eery feelings but I put icons in my room, cross my bed with "let God arise and His enemies be scattered" each night and committed my sleep to the care of the blessed Theotokos and since then (approaching 20 years) I could probably count on one hand the twingy dreams I've had…and they were not the faintest shadows of the worst ones.

At my present parish on occasion I've seen a couple of mentally disturbed persons visit…one got very agitated…antsy, uncomfortable, hard time standing still…and out the door at the first good opportunity. The other person likes to visit because the "voices" go silent when he is there. It's peaceful for him.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 01:03:30 AM »

When I was a child I remember having an experience where it was really late at night and dark, I was lying in my bed and the room was pitch black. To this very day I still do not remember whether I was dreaming or if it was real. It felt so vivid. Anyhow, I saw three humanoid, shadowy figures standing in front of me, each with red eyes. I was sweating and crying. One of them came really close to me, its face like one foot away from my face, and I remember thinking something religious and then just 'waking up' and when I 'woke up' the room looked the same but they were gone. To this day I do not know what it was, whether it was a dream or whether it was real.

"Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which people who are either falling asleep or awakening from sleep temporarily experience a sense of inability to move..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Proverbs 22:7
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 01:09:49 AM »

"Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which people who are either falling asleep or awakening from sleep temporarily experience a sense of inability to move..."

Yeah that was a textbook example of sleep paralysis.
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 05:48:54 AM »

So what the Hell does the sleep paralysis have to do with the demonic-looking humanoid beings I saw?

-Orthonorm
neon_knights
High Elder

My political hero.

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 06:19:10 AM »

So what the Hell does the sleep paralysis have to do with the demonic-looking humanoid beings I saw?

Stories of sleep paralysis often include seeing shadowy figures and feeling like you are being held down.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 06:25:03 AM »

This "sleep" part...

I'm going to need this.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 07:04:33 AM »

Didn't mean to tick you off. I used to have a problem with sleep paralysis myself, your description sounded very familiar. From the article I cited "Hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations are symptoms commonly experienced during episodes of sleep paralysis" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis#Signs_and_symptoms

FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 10:06:50 AM »

There have been enough church desecrations to show us that evil can enter a church and even defile it.  No problem... as God permits it.

God permits evil, just as He permitted satan to enter His presence in the Book of Job.  But, He does hold satan back.

The difference with St. Mary of Egypt is that she was not 'possessed' but acting out of her free-will.  This the fellow who entered the church, he may not have been possessed but rather in 'fellowship' with the demonic.  He may also have been a case of 'perfect possession,' in which case he was in agreement with the possession and therefore an exorcism would not have worked: the spirits had to right to remain within him.

Only in cases where the person does not utterly agree with the demons will an exorcism work.  People who thrash around or feel 'prevented' from entering a church are those in the midst of this struggle and the demons do not want the person near a church and thus receive freedom.  However, those who are 'perfectly possessed' can enter a church and even take communion.  There's no problem for them because there is no fight.  They have agreed to their own damnation.

But, you cannot confuse human evil with demonic evil.  The whole point of St. Mary's life was her triumph over human evil, and that triumph leads to the defeat of demonically-inspired temptation.

I always wonder how "evil" can enter a church.  IIRC, St. Mary of Egypt was "stopped" at the door of a church and could not enter.  This is what made her repent and go in to the desert.  So, how come evil can so freely enter a church?  You would hope folks would be safe inside from all that nastiness.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 11:35:40 AM »

This "sleep" part...

Actually you are not asleep.

I've posted on this around here before (in response to JamesR going on about "lucid dreaming" I believe). Indeed, "shadowy" figures or "threatening blackness" is pretty much par for the course.

I've had two or three episodes of it.

The first was quite frightening.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 11:36:57 AM »

NVM
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:37:11 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ergib
O Lord according to Your mercy; not according to my sins.

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 03:01:49 PM »

Stories of sleep paralysis often include seeing shadowy figures and feeling like you are being held down.

Ex friends experienced this, but I had hard time believing them.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 04:13:04 PM »

Didn't mean to tick you off. I used to have a problem with sleep paralysis myself, your description sounded very familiar. From the article I cited "Hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations are symptoms commonly experienced during episodes of sleep paralysis" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis#Signs_and_symptoms
Sleep paralysis may also be behind claims of alien abductions.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 07:10:08 PM »

This "sleep" part...

Actually you are not asleep.

I've posted on this around here before (in response to JamesR going on about "lucid dreaming" I believe). Indeed, "shadowy" figures or "threatening blackness" is pretty much par for the course.

I've had two or three episodes of it.

The first was quite frightening.

No, but dreaming, which is often associated with 'sleeping' is.

I'm going to need this.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 07:31:46 PM »

Ex friends experienced this, but I had hard time believing them.

BTDT, it can be very frightening. I would freq believe I was going to die if i went back to deep sleep.

JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »

So I was looking into this sleep paralysis stuff and I have to say it is really frightening, yet somewhat relieving because I now know that all of these frightening episodes I had in the past were not real.

-Orthonorm
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 10:44:02 PM »

Who says they aren't real?

Perhaps during the episode the person sees what is there, but usually remains unseen.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 10:51:32 PM »

So I was looking into this sleep paralysis stuff and I have to say it is really frightening, yet somewhat relieving because I now know that all of these frightening episodes I had in the past were not real.
Once I learned about it I had fewer episodes and they became less frightening.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 11:25:56 PM »

Depends on how you define "real".

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 01:25:11 AM »

Depends on how you define "real".

Everything is real. The question is: A real what?

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 09:01:19 AM »

Who says they aren't real?

Perhaps during the episode the person sees what is there, but usually remains unseen.

Agreed.  Non-religious people have always tried to find natural excuses for the supernatural, even if they have to make stuff up.  As it is often said, the best tool that the Devil has is to convince us that he is not there.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »

And some folks are always eager to believe anything unusual must be a paranormal event.

Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 12:07:14 PM »

When I was a younger man I would on occasion have sleep paralysis. The sensation is very unnerving…a feeling of malevolent threat in close proximity. The mind is awake…or seems awake, but nothing works. You can't open your eyes, roll over, move in anyway….just lie there locked in your head feeling something evil you can't see is watching and might easily decide to hurt you while you are helpless.

I was not Orthodox at the time and would be mentally chain praying "Lord help, Jesus help me" or variations thereof all the while concentrating on moving my hand. At some point I could feel my little finger twitch and then it was like glass shattering…I would fully wake up…like a shot. 

The sensation was interesting to me though in that when "awake" but paralyzed I seemed fully conscious to myself, yet when I awoke fully, my former state of "consciousness" seemed as much like sleep than being awake. Since then I've wondered if death is like that…waking up for real from a seeming fully conscious state to one that really is so.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »

Weird. I meant to write just this in my post above.

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »

Weird. I meant to write just this in my post above.
i'm sure there's a paranormal explanation for that. Wink

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 03:53:32 AM »

There have been enough church desecrations to show us that evil can enter a church and even defile it.  No problem... as God permits it.

God permits evil, just as He permitted satan to enter His presence in the Book of Job.  But, He does hold satan back.

The difference with St. Mary of Egypt is that she was not 'possessed' but acting out of her free-will.  This the fellow who entered the church, he may not have been possessed but rather in 'fellowship' with the demonic.  He may also have been a case of 'perfect possession,' in which case he was in agreement with the possession and therefore an exorcism would not have worked: the spirits had to right to remain within him.

Only in cases where the person does not utterly agree with the demons will an exorcism work.  People who thrash around or feel 'prevented' from entering a church are those in the midst of this struggle and the demons do not want the person near a church and thus receive freedom.  However, those who are 'perfectly possessed' can enter a church and even take communion.  There's no problem for them because there is no fight.  They have agreed to their own damnation.

But, you cannot confuse human evil with demonic evil.  The whole point of St. Mary's life was her triumph over human evil, and that triumph leads to the defeat of demonically-inspired temptation.

Father bless. Excellent explanation. Possession only succeeds when at least some part of the victim's will desires spiritual liberation. On the other hand, it seems that even those who are "perfectly possessed" are not without hope. To say there is no hope for them is to concede that satan is stronger than God, which is impossible. Perhaps even those who are perfectly possessed, there still remains a small fragment of their volition that is able to choose good over evil?

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 04:36:26 AM »

Is it natural during sleep paralysis for your mind to interpret things inside of your bedroom in a different way? For example, one morning when waking up I was having an episode of sleep paralysis and I thought I saw one of my friends visiting standing in my room, and upon further waking up, I realized that it was only just a jacket hanging from the coat hanger.

-Orthonorm
neon_knights
High Elder

My political hero.

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 05:06:47 AM »

Is it natural during sleep paralysis for your mind to interpret things inside of your bedroom in a different way? For example, one morning when waking up I was having an episode of sleep paralysis and I thought I saw one of my friends visiting standing in my room, and upon further waking up, I realized that it was only just a jacket hanging from the coat hanger.

Yes, very normal.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 05:12:34 AM »

Man do I hate that crap.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 10:58:49 AM »

There is no hope without God.

Father bless. Excellent explanation. Possession only succeeds when at least some part of the victim's will desires spiritual liberation. On the other hand, it seems that even those who are "perfectly possessed" are not without hope. To say there is no hope for them is to concede that satan is stronger than God, which is impossible. Perhaps even those who are perfectly possessed, there still remains a small fragment of their volition that is able to choose good over evil?

Selam

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »

Yes. If your eyes were partially open during the episode you could see part of your room, which you know is real, and caused you to further misinterpret what you saw.

CatherineBrigid

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2012, 01:19:41 PM »

Yeah I've had bouts of sleep paralysis, combined with, at the same time, night terrors.  There are a few instances where, to this very day, I could not tell you if it really was the sleep paralysis or something truly spiritual in nature... regardless, either way, it's FREAKY when it happens.

http://www.SNMOC.org
(St. Nicholas of Myra WR parish)

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of his han
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2012, 07:08:58 PM »

I used to have sleep paralysis quite alot , It was always scary, but I always new that I was sleeping and just couldn't wake completely.

Maybe the first time it was worse, I do not remember now, but if you never hAD it before it will be worse that first time.

After I had it for a while I knew what it was, never had a diagnosis by a doctor though, and would struggle to wake myself up, which usually happens in a minute or two.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2012, 09:49:20 PM »

I frequently get sleep paralysis. I feel like I'm suffocating and like someone could kill me, although I don't specifically recall ever hallucinating. Since I know what it is, I just twiddle my thumbs while the involuntary panic subsides, except I can't actually twiddle them.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2012, 11:56:38 PM »

The blackness left.

**True Story**

Scary!!!!

So, did anyone know this man?  Why was he there?  Anyone ever see him again?

What of the people who were standing in the back and got engulfed in the darkness....what did they say?  They must of been terrified.

The parishoners who were in the blackness could not see, so they sat down on the pew (this church use to be Lutheran, but the EO bought it and left the pews).   They saw the blackness leave.  YES they were terrified.  The man turned out to be the "crazy" brother of another parishoner who was not attending.  She told he needed to come to her church.

I really don't know how evil entered the church.   I don't know anything other than when you see something like this, you KNOW there is good and evil and all the atheist stuff you just end up feeling bad for them.  I was so terrified from this and am still today.   I'm surprised the lady in the choir came back.  Was probably the scariest moment of my life.   The shriek that woman screamed.

What was really interesting though is that the priest just knew what to do immediately.   Vespers STOPPED and he took care of business pronto.   

I know it sounds wacky, but its for real, witnessed by everybody in the church.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: