OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 08:25:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthobooks  (Read 3574 times) Average Rating: 0
Isaac
Orthodox law student

OC.net

« on: December 05, 2004, 12:03:46 AM »

Grin
Perhaps I'm strange, I don't know.  But at my local Borders bookstore my wife and I have a ministry of sorts.  Everytime we're there, we consider it our duty to diligently scan through the "Catholic and Orthodox Inspirational" section, and the theology section, for Orthodox books.  We then combine them all on one particular shelf, making the store's selection of Orthodox books much more accessible to Orthodox Christians and inquirers into the Faith.  I wouldn't do this if there were any particular rhyme or reason to these sections, but there isn't-- no "alpha by author" or subject.  

Tonight was a big night for us.  It was the first night when we could fully expel Thomas Merton and all other remaining RC books from the shelf.  We actually have a whole shelf of Orthodox books now!!  

Am I crazy for doing this?  Does anyone else have similar experiences?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 12:32:44 AM »

Once or twice I have hidden books by James Carrol (Constantine's Sword) behind other books. OK, it doesn't stop people from buying it.  But I just felt it didn't deserve such a prominent place Smiley

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 12:34:42 AM »

I've turned around some of those dreadful Spong books so the back cover is facing out.  

Speaking of Thomas Merton, recently I was in Orthodox priest's living room and I was surprised to notice that he had several of Merton's books sitting on his coffee table.  He's no liberal but he's able to see the good in the 'west' which I really appreciate.  Sometimes I get so tired of the 'west bashing' in Orthodoxy.  

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 12:53:01 AM »

I like your new "sport", Isaac!

Must try it soon...

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 01:57:46 AM »

I've turned around some of those dreadful Spong books so the back cover is facing out.  

Speaking of Thomas Merton, recently I was in Orthodox priest's living room and I was surprised to notice that he had several of Merton's books sitting on his coffee table.  He's no liberal but he's able to see the good in the 'west' which I really appreciate.  Sometimes I get so tired of the 'west bashing' in Orthodoxy.  

About Merton--I agree. Some of his earlier material was very good.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 02:42:47 AM »

I haven't read a lot by Merton.   Rather, I've read about him and heard a lot about him too, and from what I know, I like him.  So many human foibles, and yet someone who seemed to posess real insight too.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 02:44:34 AM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 02:54:13 AM »

I don't see myself doing any of that...I don't consider myself as anyone's censor or nanny..deciding what other people should and shouldn't read. Guess I'm a just plain un-American- I believe in freedom of ideas.

Proverbs 22:7
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 03:01:23 AM »

Actually Thomas Merton, or a conversation about him, was one reason I started to consider conversion to Orthodoxy. I was having lunch w/ a guy from my former (Episcopal) parish and the we were discussing spirituality; the Daily Office, the Jesus Prayer, monasticism. He clearly thought they belonged to the past. When the subject of Merton came up he did become very interested- and told me that Merton's later writings were very good.."because he shows how Chritianity ties into Bhuddism and Hindu mysticism"...oy vey!

Proverbs 22:7
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 06:38:09 AM »

Frobisher and I would do this, too.

We'd take the standard fare Barnes and Noble Orthodox books(The Orthodox Church by Ware, Praying with Icons, and a few other standard issues) and put them over the books we deemed heretical, like Duncan's Guide to Freemasonry.

It worked until they reorganized, and the same books were always there so I don't know if it may an effect but it sure was fun.

R
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 05:32:45 PM »

I have donated over 25 books on Orthodoxy to my local public library. They thanked me for the donation and put every single book I donated on the shelves too. In fact, they put a little sticker inside the front cover of every book I donated that says:

"Donated to the Greenville County Library by Saint John of the Ladder Orthodox Church, Greenville, SC."

A nice little free advertisement for our parish too! Every now and then I go by the library and see if the books are still there and if they are being checked out. The Orthodox Study Bible and The Orthodox Church by Timothy Ware seem to be the ones most checked out.
evergreen32

Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 09:54:34 PM »

I have donated over 25 books on Orthodoxy to my local public library.
This is a great idea!  I was stunned to discover that my local library (admittedly small, but not THAT small) had a grand total of two books on Orthodoxy.  Several shelves on Roman Catholicism, however.

I think since I'm not in a parish right now, I'll use the money I'd normally give to a tithe and do this very thing.  Thanks for the idea!
evergreen32

Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 10:14:05 PM »

Question!

What were the 25 books you bought?  I probably can't afford that many, but I'd like to choose them carefully.
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 12:48:24 AM »

I'm surprised you guys find so many Orthodox books in Borders, Barnes&Noble, etc.  The most I ever found were a few by Frederica Mathewes-Green.   I always look for some of Father Alexander Schmemann's books -- I would think he is (was) a well-known Orthodox author in America -- but I've never seen any.  I did see a good translation of "the Way of a Pilgrim" with a foreward by Fr. Tom Hopko that I bought.

Yes, I, too, cringe when I see Spong's books displayed so openly (and I think, "who the heck reads this guy?").  I haven't yet delved into moving them around on the shelves, though.....

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 04:33:43 AM »

I'd move Spong's books to the fantasy-fiction area Grin
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004, 07:35:13 AM »

What were the 25 books you bought?  I probably can't afford that many, but I'd like to choose them carefully.

Note sure if I can remember all 25, but here goes:

1. The Divine Liturgy Service Book Vol. I and II (OCA)
2.  Jordanville Prayer Book
3.  The Orthodox Study Bible
4.  The Orthodox Church (Bishop Kallistos Ware)
5.  On the Divine Images, by St. John of Damascus
6.  On the Incarnation, by St. Athanasius
7.  The Life in Christ, by St. Nicholas Cabasilas
8.  Orthodox Veneration of Mary, the Birthgiver of God,   by  St. John Maximovitch
9.  The Russians and their Church (SVS Press)
10.  The Life of St. Sava (SVS Press)
11.  St. Sergius and Russian Spirituality (SVS Press)
12.  The Faith We Hold (Archbishop Paul of Finland)
13. The Orthodox Way (Bishop Kallistos Ware)
14.  Orthodox Dogmatic Theology (Father Michael Pompazansky)
15.  The Book of Akathists (Jordanville Press)
16.  The Spiritual Counsels of Saint John of Kronstadt (SVS Press)
17.  Service Book (Isabell F. Hapgood)
18.  Orthodox Alaska (SVS Press)
19.  Catechism of Metropolitan Philaret (St. Tikhon's)
20.  The Law of God (Jordanville Press)
21.  These Truths We Hold (St. Tikhon's Seminary Press)
22.  The Divine Liturgy: A Commentary (by St. Nicholas Cabasilas)
23. Icons: Door to the Kingdom (SVS Press)
24.  Blessed Theophylact's Commentaries on the Synoptic Gospels (3 volumes)
25. Pilgrimage to the Russian Church (by Jim Forrest)
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2004, 12:35:15 PM »

I've been known to reshelve Frankie Schaeffer books  or to put books by Spong in with Fiction.

On a practical note, if you live in a community with lots of Orthodox inquirers it might be practical to speak to the manager about creating a reading list for use at the information desk or to start get a group together at your own parish to start an Orthodox reading group. Ask the manager at your local Borders how you can reserve space for your activity. Usually, they are very open local groups using thier facility. Just a thought.
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2004, 03:40:36 AM »

I counted 25, so I'd say your memory is as sharp as a tack!

25. Pilgrimage to the Russian Church (by Jim Forrest)

I have to admit that I was surprised to find this treasure of a book at the local library in the former town I had been raised in. It was one of the few and far between books about Orthodoxy, but a good one to have none the less.

In Christ,
Aaron
Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2004, 03:47:27 AM »

Am I crazy for doing this?  Does anyone else have similar experiences?

No, because up until now I thought I was the only one who did ocd-like things like that , lol.

I have been known to do this with books, videos, cd's - and pretty much antyhing, you name it!  :grin:

I'm surprised you guys find so many Orthodox books in Borders, Barnes&Noble, etc.

As am I!

In Christ,
Aaron

In Christ,
Aaron
evergreen32

Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2004, 12:07:33 AM »

What were the 25 books you bought? I probably can't afford that many, but I'd like to choose them carefully.

Tikhon, many thanks for your list!  I'll likely be the first one checking those books out once I buy them...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2004, 01:46:49 AM »

Some options to consider...

http://www.svspress.com/index.php?cPath=38&osCsid=23e71c3efc61d12a6e467d1ad91291ac

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2004, 04:34:48 AM »

I'm surprised you guys find so many Orthodox books in Borders, Barnes&Noble, etc.

I'm surprised also.  Living in an urban area where there are substantial Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholic communities, it's still difficult to find much on Eastern Christianity in any of the chain bookstores, except those near colleges/universities.  A few books by Bishop Kallistos Ware and Archbishop Joseph Raya are the ones most often encountered, with an occasional one by  Frederica Mathewes-Green.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Marjorie

OC.net

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2004, 05:02:06 AM »

This is so funny! I was just doing this today. I was so excited that I found For the Life of the World in a Borders which usually has an oddly huge but terrible Religion section, and I moved it and The Way of a Pilgrim and a book by John Chryssavgis to more prominently placed areas. Also at a B&N the other day (I go to these stores a lot...) I moved one of the volumes of the Philokalia onto an armchair by the Religion section hoping that someone would sit down and notice it, and promptly convert to Orthodoxy. Cheesy

Marjorie

"The land of God is wide and large enough to provide room for everyone if we are humans. If we act like brutes, then there will not be enough room even if there are only four of us."

- His Holiness Patriarch +PAVLE of Serbia
Marjorie

OC.net

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2004, 05:06:14 AM »

Oh, and Thomas Merton played a huge part in my conversion not to Orthodoxy but to Christianity.

Marjorie

"The land of God is wide and large enough to provide room for everyone if we are humans. If we act like brutes, then there will not be enough room even if there are only four of us."

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2004, 10:43:44 AM »

Marjorie,

Glad to see you're soon-to-be-baptized into the faith!  How've you come all the way to Orthodoxy?  If you want, you (as well as anyone else who hasn't already) can post here to let us know your conversion story.

Welcome to the forum.

Gracia y Paz,

Pedro

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Marjorie

OC.net

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2004, 03:10:04 PM »

Thank you for the link! I posted my conversion story on another forum so I will copy and paste it there.

Marjorie

Arystarcus
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2004, 09:43:14 PM »

Wowza, those are some pricey books, but well worth having I'd bet.

I should see if anyone would like to get me some as gifts.

Speaking of which, I did recently have a birthday (25 now!) and if any of you giving people would like to get me a title or three as a belated birthday or even a belated chrismation gift, I would humbly accept it - so feel free to pm me for my mailing address.  Cheesy  Tongue

In Christ,
Aaron
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: