OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:48:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to fast and what to eat?  (Read 844 times) Average Rating: 0
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« on: August 28, 2012, 09:20:38 AM »

Hi All,

I have some questions What days should one fast according to Orthodoxy? And What can one eat when fasting during these days ?. I am interested in fasting, but, I do not know how to do it correctly.

Thank You.

Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 09:27:54 AM »

Every Wednesday and Friday, and then during the fasting seasons of the Church. (Lent, Apostles fast, dormition fast, etc.) An you basically eat vegan, unless that particular day allows for fish, wine or oil.  I have the "daily readings" app from the GOA and it tells you whats going on for the fasting that day if youre unsure.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 09:35:39 AM »

Is there a particular list of food I can have during those days some which allow for fish I'll have to find out, but is there an online listr to help me with what foods I can make to eat?
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:55:27 AM »

My understanding is that we should be super legalistic with it.  Just be a vegan on those days.  Sometimes excessive label reading on foods can be distracting from the actual purpose of the fast.  Dont eat meat, dairy, fish, oil, or wine.  Although on some specific days fish, oil, or wine may be allowed.  Just depends on if a feast/special occasion falls on that day. 

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:01:33 AM »

My understanding is that we should be super legalistic with it.

Ummm, shouldn't that be "we should not be super legalistic with it" ?  Smiley
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 10:18:45 AM »

Is there a particular list of food I can have during those days some which allow for fish I'll have to find out, but is there an online listr to help me with what foods I can make to eat?
This is one of those threads where "ask your priest" is probably the best advice anyone can give. Fasting is a very personal exercise for which your priest, who knows you well, can offer you much better guidance than we on this forum, who don't know you from Adam.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:19:24 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 10:50:30 AM »

Depends on the local church tradition - in Polish Orthodoxy any meat is forbidden by the time of fast, for example, yet in Greek Orthodox Church poultry is allowed along with fishes. To be honest it depends on your life. If someone is a vegan what's the point of "canonical" fasting for him, if he does not eat meat/cheese/eggs his whole life?

Best is speak with your priest, he will learn you how to fast - moreover, what's the point of fast; if you'll be able to answer latter, you'll have no idea with answering the former.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:52:24 AM by Pan Michał » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 10:52:07 AM »

Depends on the local church tradition - in Polish Orthodoxy any meat is forbidden by the time of fast, for example, yet in Greek Orthodox Church poultry is allowed along with fishes. To be honest it depends on your life. If someone is a vegan what's the point of "canonical" fasting for him, if he does not eat meat/cheese/eggs his whole life?

Say what now?  Source?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 10:54:04 AM »

Say what now?  Source?

My priest.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »

Say what now?  Source?

Indeed. In my fifty years of Orthodox experience, never have I encountered anyone, Greek or otherwise, priest or layman, who said "poultry is allowed on fish days".
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 11:03:06 AM »

This is one of those threads where "ask your priest" is probably the best advice anyone can give. Fasting is a very personal exercise for which your priest, who knows you well, can offer you much better guidance than we on this forum, who don't know you from Adam.

Seconded.  Lifestyle needs to be taken into account.  A friend of mine was over in Iraq and asked about fasting and the priest told him "eat what you are issued". 

The main thing is, the ultra canonical fast is great if you are a monk or don't work that hard of a job.  I work in an office and have no health problems (diabetes, etc) so I try to keep the fast as well as I can, probably overdoing it a bit with the fish, but alas.  Someone in a different condition than me would probably want to be a bit less pharisaical about it.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 12:16:51 PM »

My understanding is that we should be super legalistic with it.

Ummm, shouldn't that be "we should not be super legalistic with it" ?  Smiley

haha. yes. i actually meant to type "shouldnt"

sorry if I caused any confusion.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 12:19:47 PM »

Never heard the poultry is fish thing either! Huh

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 12:40:30 PM »

I suppose ducks may count, since they swim.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 12:43:05 PM »

Mollusks and crustaceans seem to be allowed on fast days.

If  you're in doubt about what's allowed on a given day, there are a number of websites with calendars that will tell you what type of fast is happening ("strict fast"; "wine and oil allowed"; "fish allowed").

For example: http://orthodoxinfo.com/

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 12:43:37 PM »

I suppose ducks may count, since they swim.

They have neither fins nor scales, my dear Peter.  police
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 12:51:30 PM »

Because some traditions spoke, that if God created birds and fishes during the same day, it is appropriate to eat them during certain fasting periods. And in the past centuries certain birds were considered to be water animals.

But you (no one in particular in mind) seemed stop on the letter and miss the point. And my point is what PeterThe Aleut wrote - so many circumstances, environment and even one's own health, that it's better to speak with the priest.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:53:00 PM by Pan Michał » Logged
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 12:55:37 PM »

And in the past centuries certain birds were considered to be water animals.

All birds were known to be warm-blooded, whereas fish were considered cold-blooded. There goes your argument.
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 12:56:27 PM »

All birds were known to be warm-blooded, whereas fish were considered cold-blooded. There goes your argument.

I suggest you go back in time and tell this to people from past centuries. Your argument follows the above.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:56:39 PM by Pan Michał » Logged
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »

I suggest you go back in time and tell this to people from past centuries. Your argument follows the above.

I am saying that even the ancients considered birds, including water birds, as being warm-blooded, not cold-blooded. So they would have regarded them as meat, not fish.
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 01:05:26 PM »

I am saying that even the ancients considered birds, including water birds, as being warm-blooded, not cold-blooded. So they would have regarded them as meat, not fish.

That's why I've wrote a phrase before the phrase you've quoted (didn't say they were considered fishes, but water animals, btw.). Then again, is it so important considering the original question? No offence meant.

(Going for a walk, till it's relatively bright and cool in the land of Slavs)
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 02:05:21 PM »

While a priest may give an individual permission to eat chicken during a fast (for their health, or if they are allergic to fish, for example, though that seems unlikely) that does not mean that chicken is fish. Nor do I know of any Greeks who think that it is.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 02:29:17 PM »

Apparently you guys never heard of Chicken of the sea..   laugh

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »

Hi All,

I have some questions What days should one fast according to Orthodoxy? And What can one eat when fasting during these days ?. I am interested in fasting, but, I do not know how to do it correctly.

Thank You.

For a correct answer yo need to ask you rpriest.

to many varianes in fasting and what to fast from and for how long. impossible to do it right, by yourself or on the advice of otheres. so, just ask your priest and then follow his directions. This way you are absolved of any errors on your part or otheres errors advising you and its on your priests shoulders. so long as you follow his advice,
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 06:47:03 PM »

Best post in this entire thread.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: