OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 11:45:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How would I fare in other religious afterlifes?  (Read 1669 times) Average Rating: 5
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: August 28, 2012, 01:07:19 AM »

Before anyone says "But only Orthodoxy is true, who cares what they believe about you after death", I just think this would be a little interesting to me.

So being an Orthodox Christian, how well does my afterlife forecast look in other religions? Like Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, etc.? Because I don't see any other religion "dooming people to Hell" like Christianity. (I know that's a grotesque observation but for the sake of discussion...)

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 01:10:05 AM »

Before anyone says "But only Orthodoxy is true, who cares what they believe about you after death", I just think this would be a little interesting to me.

So being an Orthodox Christian, how well does my afterlife forecast look in other religions? Like Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, etc.? Because I don't see any other religion "dooming people to Hell" like Christianity. (I know that's a grotesque observation but for the sake of discussion...)
Not sure about the others. But in Islam you will endure very grotesque physical torments for eternity. There is even one account in the Quran, AFAIK, where God taunts the hell-bounded Christians for believing in the Trinity.

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 01:11:53 AM »

Not sure about the others. But in Islam you will endure very grotesque physical torments for eternity. There is even one account in the Quran, AFAIK, where God taunts the hell-bounded Christians for believing in the Trinity.
Whoa seriously? Can you quote specific verses from the Quran?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 01:14:27 AM »

Whoa seriously? Can you quote specific verses from the Quran?
Lots of the Quran is on hell.  The Hadith reports go into much more detail on that.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 01:16:11 AM »

In Buddhism and Hinduism you'd just be reincarnated. In Judaism you'd go to Heaven as it's more or less universalist.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 01:26:32 AM »

But reincarnated into what? A frog?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 01:28:35 AM »

In Odinism you could get into the Golden Hall if you kill a bunch of b****es bravely.  Or perhaps you'd get chosen by Freyja to 'keep her company'.  Either way, if this weren't a false heathen religion I could definitely get behind the Norse afterlife.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 02:01:29 AM »

Buddhism: Wheel of tortures for 20,000 years in Naraka
Islam: Probably some sort of People of the Book pardon.
Hinduism: Reborn as a barnacle, because Arjuna is jealous of me and has connections.
Greek Mythology: Prometheus's punishment.
Folk Taoism: Bagua furnace until obliterated.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:02:24 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 02:06:07 AM »

The Quran disagrees with this assessment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjytT49ZyXY

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 02:13:14 AM »

Panendeism: Worm food  Grin
Unitarian Universalism: Heaven  police
Buddhism: There is no "you"  Tongue

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 02:25:29 AM »

The Quran disagrees with the concept of the People of the Book?

WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 03:22:46 AM »

That's a very... "physical" hell.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 03:25:24 AM »

That's a very... "physical" hell.

Quotes went too fast for me to read, and I wasn't pausing it every 2 seconds...  (though Christian hell is physical as well  angel )

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 03:27:18 AM »

Here, have a look at the Hindu hell  Shocked

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 03:30:19 AM »

Reminds me of the Apocalypse of Peter  angel

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 03:39:42 AM »

(though Christian hell is physical as well  angel )

Now you've had it all wrong. You're supposed to point out how awfully physical Western notions of Hell are and then offer a catchy quote from the River of Fire. police

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 03:44:26 AM »

In Judaism there is no Heaven or Hell. You just obey God and in return enjoy a peaceful life on Earth. When you die you go to the place of the dead like everyone else and that is it. Your life on Earth is really the only thing that your decisions affect. In Islam, you can go to Hell, but Hell is not considered eternal. In the end it is believed that everyone will be united to Allah. In Hinduism, you would just keep getting reincarnated and I do not know what comes after that. In Buddhism you will keep being reincarnated until you achieve enlightenment and enter into Nirvana. As to what Nirvana exactly is, no one really knows. Buddhism is a pretty obscure, confusing religion that is very mysterious about these types of things.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 03:54:36 AM »

In Judaism there is no Heaven or Hell.

While there is disagreement whether there is a hell, there clearly is a heaven. Judaism teaches "All Israel has a share in the World to Come". The World to Come, or Olam Haba in Hebrew, clearly is a concept of heaven. It is for all Jews, as well as righteous non-Jews.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 03:56:04 AM »

In Judaism there is no Heaven or Hell.

While there is disagreement whether there is a hell, there clearly is a heaven. Judaism teaches "All Israel has a share in the World to Come". The World to Come, or Olam Haba in Hebrew, clearly is a concept of heaven. It is for all Jews, as well as righteous non-Jews.

That 'world to come' is the Christian state of Heaven that Jesus brought along. But since Jews deny Jesus, they do not believe that this 'world to come' has arrived yet, therefore, they are still subject to Sheol, or 'the place of the dead' until this 'world to come' comes.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 04:36:24 AM »

The Jews believe that in the end of the days, there will be a World to Come. It is not related to the Jewish concept of the Messiah, whose actin circle will be this world. Also, the Jews believe that each of them has his place in the World to Come, so the don't see a need for a Redeemer, as we have in Christ.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 07:34:41 AM »

In Odinism you could get into the Golden Hall if you kill a bunch of b****es bravely.  Or perhaps you'd get chosen by Freyja to 'keep her company'.  Either way, if this weren't a false heathen religion I could definitely get behind the Norse afterlife.
Odinism Cheesy

Your post reminded me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV5w262XvCU

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 09:03:35 AM »

That would depend on how skillfully you use this human life.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 09:05:20 AM »

My favorite part is where Allah says he will burn the skin off of the people in hell with scalding hot water. But when that's over, he will give each person new skin and do it all over again... and again. OUCH.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 09:12:10 AM »

In Buddhism you will keep being reincarnated until you achieve enlightenment and enter into Nirvana. As to what Nirvana exactly is, no one really knows. Buddhism is a pretty obscure, confusing religion that is very mysterious about these types of things.

http://www.vipassana.com/resources/nutshell_nibbana.php
The Pali word Nibbana is formed of Ni and Vana. Ni is a negative particle and Vana means lusting or craving. "It is called Nibbana, in that it is a departure from the craving which is called Vana, lusting." Literally, Nibbana means non-attachment.

It may also be defined as the extinction of lust, hatred and ignorance, "The whole world is in flames," says the Buddha. "By what fire is it kindled? By the fire of lust, hatred and ignorance, by the fire of birth, old age, death, pain, lamentation, sorrow, grief and despair it is kindled."

It should not be understood that Nibbana is a state of nothingness or annihilation owing to the fact that we cannot perceive it with our worldly knowledge. One cannot say that there exists no light just because the blind man does not see it. In that well known story, too, the fish arguing with his friend, the turtle, triumphantly concluded that there exists no land.

Nibbana of the Buddhists is neither a mere nothingness nor a state of annihilation, but what it is no words can adequately express. Nibbana is a Dhamma which is "unborn, unoriginated, uncreated and unformed." Hence, it is eternal (Dhuva), desirable (Subha), and happy (Sukha).

WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 10:19:22 AM »

My favorite part is where Allah says he will burn the skin off of the people in hell with scalding hot water. But when that's over, he will give each person new skin and do it all over again... and again. OUCH.

That's a very physical hell  Shocked
Is there a... "spiritual" hell/punishment in Islam ? Like, deprived of God's love, etc ?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:19:43 AM by WeldeMikael » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »

(though Christian hell is physical as well  angel )

Now you've had it all wrong. You're supposed to point out how awfully physical Western notions of Hell are and then offer a catchy quote from the River of Fire. police

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 11:26:31 AM »

Is there a... "spiritual" hell/punishment in Islam ? Like, deprived of God's love, etc ?

Is there any particular reason that you think the "deprived of God's love" thing is more spiritual and less physical?

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 11:26:48 AM »

i always thought Native American spirituality was like Abrahamic faiths..on eGreat Spirit. I'm not sure about the Happy Hunting ground though. I'd rather go to a Happy Dog Park and spend eternity with a couple of schnauzers.

Proverbs 22:7
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 11:32:12 AM »

That would depend on how skillfully you use this human life.
I'll stop this now before I sin.

Obligatory Asteriktos icon:  angel

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 11:35:31 AM »

NVM!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:47:21 AM by Severian » Logged

WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 11:50:59 AM »

Is there any particular reason that you think the "deprived of God's love" thing is more spiritual and less physical?

Faith ?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »

NVM!
That's what Brahman said.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 11:57:10 AM »

Faith ?

Huh

WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 12:19:47 PM »

Grin

Faith is something spiritual, no ? I mean, God's love comes by faith too (but not only, I mean, you need to have faith to "feel" God's love) ?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (I'm still learning  Grin )
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 04:55:05 PM »

The Qur'an agrees and disagrees with nothing.  It is a book; it has no mind.  It can merely state; it is up to human beings to interpret the Qur'an and many a Muslim say quite different things about the afterlife.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: