OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 05:46:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you invite people  (Read 674 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: August 26, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »

Did you invite people to your baptism/chrismation?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 06:19:41 PM »

Yes, I invited my Catholic wife and Protestant parents.  They went and did fine.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 06:33:35 PM »

Non-practicing parents raised RC, and my evangelical friend.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 07:31:22 PM »

I invited my parents and closest friends, along with my Godparents (actually, they had to be there.)

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »

To my own I invited my Mother, and I don't recall if I invited anyone else or not. To the baptism of my children we invited various family members (maybe a dozen each time).

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 08:17:56 PM »

No I'm more of a solitary person and I'm the only Orthodox in my family. I'd actually would have had no problem going alone. My parents invited themselves though and came. I have to say though that they were really respectful and surprised me since they were usually kinda negative toward my conversion.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 10:08:33 PM »

Yes.  Actually my close friends asked if they could come.  I had about a dozen close friends there in addition to my godparents and some folks from church.  It was great.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 02:38:24 AM »

Would it be weird if I invited a few good friends but not family?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 07:29:28 AM »

Firstly I had thought to invite quite a lot of people. But, finally, for my chrismation have come only one of my best friends and my mum (Roman Catholic), who was a bit late and haven't stayed for the Liturgy. My father who is orthodox couldn't come (long story). As for the rest of people, there were 3 reasons that I had not invited them: it was Christmas Eve so the majority rather couldn't come; I was trying to be chrismated a few years and my friends were a bit tired of this situation; I wanted to focus on the God, on the service than on my guests.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 09:06:47 AM »

anastasia1, maybe you should tell people about it, but not make it a big deal that they should come. after all, it is not like a graduation or retirement. having a party is totally optional.
if you tell some people and not others, the others may later get offended, so try not to offend anyone. if you tell them and then say, 'you can come if you want', then, if they don't want to come, it is easy for them to decline. then you can invite a close friend, without feeling like you have to keep anything secret (secrets always get out; best not to bother with them).

i was the only one in my family who felt positive towards orthodoxy and my protestant friends were not encouraging me either. in the end, the closest person to me was not interested in coming, so i didn't invite anyone else.
also, there were only 2 days between agreeing a date with the priest and the date coming, so there was only my priest and i there, plus another church friend who was busy setting up the church ready for raising of incense and who was involved a little. no one else had arrived yet.

but all the church people (of whom i knew about 90%, it was a smallish church) realised it had happened as, afterwards, i went up for Holy Communion for the first time, so everybody congratulated me afterwards during coffee. that was really nice, but i couldn't stay around as i had to rush home and cook dinner for guests! so you don't have to do it in a rush like i did, but i had been an inquirer for 3 years by then and was in a rush to do the deed, once i had established that it doing it would not cause too much trouble at home.

i think my friends were a bit like dominika's friends. they knew i had been going to 'that funny church' for some time, so it was not a big deal to them at all. when i told them afterwards, it was like, 'oh, o.k. but make sure you a still a Christian and you still read the Bible and pray' (like as if i was getting into a weird cult!)
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 02:02:03 PM »

Would it be weird if I invited a few good friends but not family?
If you had a good reason, no

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 01:22:54 PM »

Invited friends and immediate family. Immediate family isn't religious and didn't show (didn't expect them to), but several close friends came. A few of which are now catechumen themselves.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
kelly
Dissipation Nation
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 09:02:41 PM »

My mother will probably be the only one coming to my chrismation. Honestly, I'm a little embarrassed to invite anyone else. I had such a big group of people come the night I was received in the Catholic church at the Easter vigil and I don't want to ask them to come watch me go through--basically--the same process. I know it's wrong to be embarrassed but I can't help it. Only my mother and a few friends even know I'm a catechumen.

Tone 3

Awed by the beauty of perceptivity
And the exceeding sassiness of your commentary
OC.net stood amazed and cried to thee
Oh most wise Kelly,
Hail, thou, oh full of good taste
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: