OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 08:39:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soli Deo Gloria  (Read 708 times) Average Rating: 0
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« on: July 22, 2012, 08:34:32 PM »

Last couple of weeks Saint Vanerios (Sp.) has been a subject of admiration and reference at my parish. I don"t mind people asking departed Christians to pray for us like we ask a Christian on Earth to. But I have to say that treating a saint like a source unto them self is wrong.
Christ is Always present and available

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 08:39:56 PM »

What specifically is taking place which troubles you?
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 08:43:45 PM »

A gentleman (in fact a subdeacon or deacon) said that God is so over whelmed with prayers that they get lost...This, I believe, is dangerously errant

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 09:18:38 PM »

A gentleman (in fact a subdeacon or deacon) said that God is so over whelmed with prayers that they get lost...This, I believe, is dangerously errant

Cringe.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 09:28:46 PM »

That is definitely not something I've ever heard in an Orthodox Church (or, indeed, in any church).

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 10:43:55 PM »

This is also, to the best of my knowledge, not Orthodox.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 02:09:32 AM »

This is also, to the best of my knowledge, not Orthodox.

Ditto. All the worse coming from the mouth of someone in an ordained position .... Does the priest know, and, if so, what did he do about it?
Knee V

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 02:17:23 AM »

It is markedly false. If anything, there aren't enough prayers rising up to God.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 06:07:54 AM »

It is markedly false. If anything, there aren't enough prayers rising up to God.
My point exactly

soderquj

Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »

Ditto!!!!

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 11:54:36 AM »

Ditto!!!!
Same.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA - Direct Archdiocesan District

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 01:15:15 PM »

Even if it were true (it isn't, clearly), praying to saints wouldn't solve the problem, as they would only direct the prayers towards God.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 01:30:06 PM »

Even if it were true (it isn't, clearly), praying to saints wouldn't solve the problem, as they would only direct the prayers towards God.

Maybe the theory is that the saints screen the prayers so God only gets the important ones?

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 01:36:46 PM »

"Hello, you've reached St. George, how may I direct your call?"? Sounds ridiculous to me.

sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 01:41:07 PM »

"Hello, you've reached St. George, how may I direct your call?"? Sounds ridiculous to me.
So what is your belief about this?

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 01:52:17 PM »

I've never heard of this idea that the saints "screen" prayers for God, and my gut reaction is that it is pretty ridiculous. If God exists outside of created time, then why would this be necessary? Is God too "busy" with other prayers, as there's only so much time in the God-day? Preposterous. God is not a 1980s answering machine that fills up and eventually needs to be reset or recorded over when a new batch of prayers come in.

soderquj

Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »

I guess I am confused by this sub-deacon statement. I was always told that when we ask for a Saint to intercede or to pray for us we are asking for there help in our request to God. If by chance the outcome is granted it is by God through the Saint and noway the Saint alone.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »

Saints are saints because of God, through the incarnation, crucifixion, resurrection and ascension of Jesus Christ. It is through his atoning work that saints live "though they die." We are able to have communion with them only because they have united themselves to Christ and rest in Him.

That said, because of this power through Christ, we pray to saints that they fulfill our petitions. The most basic petition, of course, would be that s/he intercede before Christ to grant us salvation and mercy. However, if these saints live in Christ, they are...well...alive. They are active beings and can work. They appear in visions, they heal the sick, raise the dead and work all sorts of miracles. I believe that it is indeed the saint, him or herself, that does that work. The saint works miracles. The distinction between the saint's and God's actions is that God works of his own power and authority, whereas the saint works only by the power and authority of God by virtue of their communion with Christ.

And, surely, this idea of God being "too busy" to answer prayer is seriously misguided and needs to be corrected.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »

That would be paganism.

I believe it was Enlil who, in the Babylonian epic, had to drown humans in a flood, because their multitudinous cries made it impossible to get anything done.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:31:52 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »

Still fighting spiritual malaise and getting to any church. Thought about going to another Orthodox church or even a Protestant church for change, but do not want to 'visit' somewhere.
What this has to do with the title of this thread is that recently, after starting this discussion, my godfather suggested I ask Saint Phanourios to help with my job search. Why? Why can't I ask Christ for strength and finding what I need? The story is that Saint Phanorourios was martyred by idol worshipers. Do you really think he'd be happy about people doing the same with him? I mean, I understand the role Christians in Heaven (Saints) play spiritually but isn't it possible to go too far with this? Let me put it another way. While I believe we are to share one another's burdens (Galatians 6:2), but doesn't there come a point where we stop asking our friends to pray for us, and get on our own knees and pray?

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 10:18:09 AM »

but doesn't there come a point where we stop asking our friends to pray for us, and get on our own knees and pray?

The two are not mutually exlcusive.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 11:26:43 AM »

but doesn't there come a point where we stop asking our friends to pray for us, and get on our own knees and pray?

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Exactly! Personally I need all the help I can get, and we know from Scripture that the prayers of a righteous man avail much. When I ask for prayer, I'm also praying fervently myself, because it is something that is important to me.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: