OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 28, 2014, 05:32:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrismation/Christian life/fear  (Read 541 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: August 26, 2012, 04:29:29 PM »

Hi,

I'm not sure where is the best place to put this. I want to get chrismated soon. I like the church, and I find things in Orthodoxy that I fundamentally agreed with even before I read that they were Orthodox.  I don't have figured out exactly where I will usually go to church, be it the one farther from me in the jurisdiction I like best or a local one in communion. I'm scared because I think I may get caught up in trying to be a perfect Christian again and lose sight of the God part behind it. That is one thing that really pulled me away from being a serious Christian (more evangelical/Protestant side at the time) before when I actually briefly was questioning the merits and feasibility of a truly Christian life.  I've had a counselor tell me that I put too much responsibility on myself-and while that was a slightly different context, I think that captures something of my personality well. I want to know grace more than responsibility, love more than fear, and forgiveness more than failure.  Please pray that God would keep these close to me.  Any advice is welcome.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 04:55:07 PM »

Lord have mercy!

And now some my thoughts Wink Before my chrismation in the Orthodox Church I was also really scared: how I would manage to observe fasting and prayer rules, if I would go the Sacraments with appropriate regularity, if I would confess well to my new confessor etc. Maybe stupid thing, but I was considering myself a bit unworthy to be Orthodox christian because of my sins, that I would behave in a manner that doesn't fit to an Orthodox Christian and my friends would notice it and they would think something bad about Orthodoxy. But, thank God, after more than half year being officially member of the Orthodox Church, I don't have any of these fears. As my priest said (very simple, but so useful) "If we have good intentions, God always helps us, He gives us (and also for the fulfillment of this intention or idea) a blessing". Converting into Orthodoxy for sure is a good intention Wink, so just be calm, pray, talk with your priest and all things will be OK.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 04:57:21 PM »

Lord have mercy!

And now some my thoughts Wink Before my chrismation in the Orthodox Church I was also really scared: how I would manage to observe fasting and prayer rules, if I would go the Sacraments with appropriate regularity, if I would confess well to my new confessor etc. Maybe stupid thing, but I was considering myself a bit unworthy to be Orthodox christian because of my sins, that I would behave in a manner that doesn't fit to an Orthodox Christian and my friends would notice it and they would think something bad about Orthodoxy. But, thank God, after more than half year being officially member of the Orthodox Church, I don't have any of these fears. As my priest said (very simple, but so useful) "If we have good intentions, God always helps us, He gives us (and also for the fulfillment of this intention or idea) a blessing". Converting into Orthodoxy for sure is a good intention Wink, so just be calm, pray, talk with your priest and all things will be OK.
What if you don't have every good intention that you should have though? Is one or two good intentions really enough?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 05:15:39 PM »

What if you don't have every good intention that you should have though? Is one or two good intentions really enough?

I think that's enough and God will "draw" these good intention. Our human nature is not so pure so usually behind good intention or good act there is something bad, but God loves us, knows our weaknesses and due to His grace we receive His blessing. That's just my thinking, I hope without heresies Wink. Really, the best option is to talk with a priest that you can present him all your doubts and fear.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 05:24:32 PM »

I think that's enough and God will "draw" these good intention. Our human nature is not so pure so usually behind good intention or good act there is something bad, but God loves us, knows our weaknesses and due to His grace we receive His blessing. That's just my thinking, I hope without heresies Wink. Really, the best option is to talk with a priest that you can present him all your doubts and fear.
He is not back in town until the end of the month, and I would have to do that where my co-workers could hear or wait until Sunday.  I have met him 2 or 3 times and do not know if that is the church I will most attend. I had not attended any sort of service very much in months (sometimes valid reasons, but in the end I probably should have just gotten my butt to service a little more often) and really wanted to attend the other Sunday on my way home from a friend's, then I asked about chrismation.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 05:32:39 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 11:53:16 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.
Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »

just keep going forward toward God,don't worry so much about any thing but God and you.  Grin
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 09:22:05 PM »

Lord, Have Mercy!
Nikolaos Greek
Last among equals

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Greece

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 08:59:17 AM »

Eastern orthodox teaches we are not perfect. Of course I have the same problem as you say. Sad

God is Love.
Ό Θεός ἀγάπη ἐστί.
There is no luck, there is no fate. There are always two ways. One is God's and one is devil's. And in each step of your life you have to pick one, always.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 03:01:17 PM »

Most Holy Trinity, have mercy upon us.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: