OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 09:49:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saints We Hold in Common...  (Read 613 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« on: August 26, 2012, 06:46:37 AM »

Out of curiosity, which saints from after the mid-5th century do both Oriental and Eastern Orthodox accept as being saints (e.g. Sts. Maximos the Confessor, John of Damascus, etc.?)
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 06:48:10 AM »

Saint Isaac of Nineveh ?
Severian
I love making people who hate me hate me even more
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 12:13:03 PM »

St. Simeon the Stylite, St. John Climacus, St. Theodora, St. Daniel the Stylite (venerated by Armenian Orthodox, AFAIK), St. Marina (venerated by Chalcedonian RCs and Coptic Orthodox), Sts. John and Barsanuphius of Gaza.

The list goes on...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 12:19:18 PM by Severian » Logged

Taking a temporary hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me as I will still be signing in on occasion. Please forgive me if my posts have lacked humility, charity, or tact.

NOTE: Some of my older posts (particularly those prior to late 2012) may not reflect my current views.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »

Actually, I recently learned that the St. Daniel venerated by the Armenians in early December is another Daniel, who was one of the Desert Fathers in Egypt.   The book that said he was Daniel the Stylite was in error.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Severian
I love making people who hate me hate me even more
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 07:59:26 PM »

Actually, I recently learned that the St. Daniel venerated by the Armenians in early December is another Daniel, who was one of the Desert Fathers in Egypt.   The book that said he was Daniel the Stylite was in error.
Thanks.

Taking a temporary hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me as I will still be signing in on occasion. Please forgive me if my posts have lacked humility, charity, or tact.

NOTE: Some of my older posts (particularly those prior to late 2012) may not reflect my current views.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »

Abba Isaiah of Scetis, the Spiritual Father of Sts. Barsanuphius and John

St. Jacob of Serugh

St. Arethas (al-Harith) & the Martyrs of Najran and the Ethiopian King Ellesbaas (Ella Atsbeha or Kaleb)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:02:51 PM by CoptoGeek » Logged

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »

St. Jacob of Serugh
I was not aware that the Eastern (Byzantine) Orthodox held up Mor Jacob of Serugh as a saint.

NULL
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 08:18:15 AM »

St. Jacob of Serugh
I was not aware that the Eastern (Byzantine) Orthodox held up Mor Jacob of Serugh as a saint.

I came across this a while back,

St Jacob of Serug: The Theotokos and the Archangel
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/holyfathers/st_jacob_of_serug_the_theotokos_and_the_archangel

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 08:20:09 AM »

St. Mary of Egypt is another post-Chalcedonian Saint we both honor.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 01:46:10 PM »

Was she an OO or an EO?
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 01:49:30 PM »

Was she an OO or an EO?

According to wikipedia she died in 421.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 02:21:36 PM »

According to wikipedia she died in 421.

Looks like there's some dispute on the date. My reading was from an EO site so that's why I assumed she was from the Sixth Century.

There is disagreement among various sources regarding the dates of St. Mary's life. The dates given above correspond to those in the Catholic Encyclopedia. The Bollandists place her death in 421, others give the date of her death as 522 (see Orthodox Wiki article, below), or 530 (see Prolog from Ohrid, April 1). The only clue given in her Vita is the fact that the day of her repose was April 1, which is stated to be Holy Thursday, meaning that Easter fell on April 4 that year.

If one consults a perpetual calendar that is keyed to the Julian Calendar (the one in use at the time), one finds that there are 24 years[5] in the relevant centuries on which April 1 occurs on a Thursday.[6] Of these, the years on which Easter would fall on April 4 according to the Julian Calendar are: 443, 454, 527, 538, and 549.[7]

It is notable that the Synaxarion states that Zosimas lived during the reign of the Emperor Theodosius the Younger,[8] who reigned from 408 to 450. According to tradition, Zosimas lived almost a hundred years, dying in the sixth century, and the Vita states that he was fifty-three years old when he met St. Mary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_of_Egypt

Tags: saints Oriental Orthodox saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: