OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 02:54:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outreach  (Read 322 times) Average Rating: 0
jerry

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (catechumen)

« on: August 25, 2012, 11:29:49 PM »

How does one begin an outreach in an Orthodox church.  Is it solely started by the clergy or do members do it under the clergy's supervision or am I completely off course.  Oh, and when I say outreach, that's kind of a protestant term so as a new convert forgive if its said wrong.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 11:42:44 PM »

Usually, a lay group starts with the blessing of the parish priest.  Individuals also would need such a blessing.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 12:07:55 AM »

I think (in American Orthodoxy) it depends on the mindset of the individual parish with little or no direction from any hierarchy. Some priests & laity are probably proactive & others probably cannot even understand such a concept. Ministries like FOCUS N.A, IOCC etc. exhibit hope for us while other sectors ......? On a personal basis, there is not much happening where I am but I donate to ministries previously mentioned. I try to discern & work with other Christians where possible. Whatever I do is inadequate & lacks wisdom; thought and action in prayer, fasting & alms giving is paramount to all laypersons within one's ability & humility in their individual relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

Antiochian OC N.A.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »

My experience is somebody has an idea or a burning desire to do something and goes to the priest, who is generally delighted that someone wants to do something. The person talks to friends about it, stands up after Liturgy and announces a meeting or the like.
And away you go.

This is one of my pet peeves, btw. People are always saying "Why doesn't the Orthodox Church do (insert name of ministry, activity, project or charitable outreach)?" Do you want to do that ministry, activity, project or charitable outreach? Then get up on your hind legs and start it.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
jerry

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (catechumen)

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »

This is one of my pet peeves, btw. People are always saying "Why doesn't the Orthodox Church do (insert name of ministry, activity, project or charitable outreach)?" Do you want to do that ministry, activity, project or charitable outreach? Then get up on your hind legs and start it.

Lol, you sound like me
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: