OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 01:41:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptizm  (Read 313 times) Average Rating: 0
jerry

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (catechumen)

« on: August 26, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »

I'm curious from other converted protestants about their baptisms.  While I'm excited about it, my family was not happy about my conversion, in fact, my dad hasn't spoken to me since.  My mother has been distancing herself from me and thats just my parents.  I guess my question is, should I ask family members to come if their not happy about my conversion?  My concern is that they will make, would should be, a celebrated occasion into a not so pleasant one.  At the same time, it would be a disappointment to be baptized without sharing it with the ones I love.
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:11:14 PM »

I didn't convert from Protestantism but my mother's family is heavily Protestant. I think you should invite them. The beauty of the Orthodox service and everyone else at the church being happy for you might have a little impact on how they feel about the Orthodox faith and about your conversion. My Southern Baptist grandmother wasn't very happy about my conversion either but that has slowly changed and she now accepts my conversion. I would invite them. You'll never know if you dont ask! Anyways, Congratulations on your Baptism/Chrismation...May God grant you many years!  Smiley

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:43:45 PM »

Yes, by all means tell them how much the day means to you and invite them. They may decline that invitation. In that case, thank them for caring about you and ask for their continued prayers. Be gracious. They may be curious enough to join you on that day. If so, rejoice. Follow their lead in how much fuss to make over them when they're there. And in that case, thank them for caring about you and ask for their continued prayers.
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 11:18:54 PM »

Ask them, even if they don't come you will have reached out to them. In the long term that will keep th elines of communication open, when I did this some 10 years later, my mother became Orthodox even though she had declined to come to my chrismation.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
jerry

Jurisdiction: OCA (catechumen)

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 08:24:52 AM »

my mother became Orthodox even though she had declined to come to my chrismation

That's awesome.  I pray that will happen to my family.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: