OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 09:48:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about leaving Catholicism  (Read 2401 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2012, 09:55:18 AM »

The difference is not found merely in the canonical penalty. The difference is in the gravity of the sin itself. To deny the Divinitynof Christ is to cease to be a Christian altogether.

I don't think Arians are considered totally non-Christians. But for sure to deny the Papacy as defined by Pastor Aeternus is to cease to be a Catholic.  Thus the dilema by Peter J.
The Fathers who wrote "I believe in One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church" denied the Papacy as defined by Pastor Aeternus.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
cyro

Faith: none
Jurisdiction: Poland

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2012, 10:30:56 AM »

Isn't PNCC short of Polish National Catholic Church? Well, it's not a big church, and it isn't in communion with mainline Old Catholic Churches. Are you descendant of Polish? I'm just wondering why this particular church? Seems very interesting.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2012, 10:35:11 AM »

The difference is not found merely in the canonical penalty. The difference is in the gravity of the sin itself. To deny the Divinitynof Christ is to cease to be a Christian altogether.

I don't think Arians are considered totally non-Christians. But for sure to deny the Papacy as defined by Pastor Aeternus is to cease to be a Catholic.  Thus the dilema by Peter J.
I think Arians are non-Christians.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2012, 12:55:59 PM »

Isn't PNCC short of Polish National Catholic Church? Well, it's not a big church, and it isn't in communion with mainline Old Catholic Churches. Are you descendant of Polish? I'm just wondering why this particular church? Seems very interesting.
They have a branch in Scandinavia now, the Nordic Catholic Church, because the Orthodox Archbishop was foolishly phyletist.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
choy
Archon

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »

I am curious why the PNCC?  I don't know much about them except for the usual Catholic tract of "they are not with the Pope therefore they are heretic schismatics".
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »

I also am curious "Why the PNCC?"

They don't seem terribly "traditionalist." Birth control is OK, private confession is not required once you pass sixteen (?)...

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »

The Fathers who wrote "I believe in One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church" denied the Papacy as defined by Pastor Aeternus.

Well considering that it wasn't written yet at that point, they didn't. police

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »

Ruh-roh

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2012, 03:44:59 PM »

tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2012, 03:47:59 PM »

Oops! Sorry. Wrong Newman.

I refer, of course, to "The Development of Doctrine," which has been such a boon to Roman Catholic theology over the last 150 years.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2012, 02:59:30 AM »

I refer, of course, to "The Development of Doctrine," which has been such a boon to Roman Catholic theology over the last 150 years.

Is it really that recent concept? Shocked

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2012, 03:10:17 AM »

No, but the essay of that name ("On the Development of Doctrine") by the gentleman pictured in the painting, John Henry Newman, is.  Smiley

JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2012, 04:49:57 AM »

Thinking about leaving Catholicism ... I realize that may not seem very newsworthy; yet, in a certain sense, I think it is newsworthy because I get the impression, from the way many people here talk, that they assume that I have absolutely no interest in leaving Catholicism.

On the other hand, I find that many Catholics take a very strange approach to a fellow Catholic who, let's say, doesn't believe in Papal Infallibility or what have you. Namely, they won't say that such a person should be excommunicated, but they will try to provoke him or her into leaving. E.g. "Why would you want to stay in full communion with us if you believe we are wrong?"

But getting back to myself, if someone's going to ask "Does this mean that you are in fact leaving Catholicism?" my answer would be: not in the immediate future.

This post feels a little incomplete, but my other thoughts on the matter aren't well-organized at this point, so ...

Congratulations Peter J on making your first step towards Orthodoxy  Smiley

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2012, 05:19:17 AM »

Leaving "catholicism" for what?
I just love you.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2012, 08:16:38 AM »

They have a branch in Scandinavia now, the Nordic Catholic Church, because the Orthodox Archbishop was foolishly phyletist.

Indeed the Orthodox option (and the Catholic option) was mentioned in this interview about the founding of the Nordic Catholic Church,

To put it bluntly, why the Nordic Catholic Church? Why not Rome? Why not Orthodoxy?

RF: We had been united as a group, and there was a lot of internal loyalty to the group. Those of us who had leadership responsibilities did not want to leave the people that we had put in such a difficult position. So we tried to find a collective solution. Orthodoxy would probably have accepted us in the end, after a transitional period, as a Western rite parish or parishes.

(Answer continues at the link above.)

P.S. As Cyro pointed out, the PNCC is a small church. There's a parish where I now live, but it would likely be an issue if I were ever to move.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:17:27 AM by Peter J » Logged

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2012, 08:57:33 AM »

That seems to be your Church's justification for rejecting the baptism of certain groups using proper form. Nonetheless, Arians were not typically received in such a canonically harsh manner as rebaptism.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »

But such is the power of the Supreme Pontiff.  He can declare, nearly two thousand years after the death of the last of the Apostles, something Apostolic and believed from the days of the Apostles until today and forever, something no Apostle ever dreamed up let alone preached.

The Fathers of the Second Ecumenical Council set up a boundary mark that Supreme Pontiff moved, while keeping that Supreme Pontiff within the boundaries established by the Fathers but leaped over by Pastor Aeternus.

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2012, 11:12:58 AM »

Once Catholic, always Catholic?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2012, 12:08:54 PM »

Once Orthodox, MORE CATHOLIC. Cool

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2012, 12:20:20 PM »

Once Orthodox, MORE CATHOLIC. Cool
+100

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2012, 12:30:34 PM »

St. Constantine would like a word with you... Wink
choy
Archon

« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »

But such is the power of the Supreme Pontiff.  He can declare, nearly two thousand years after the death of the last of the Apostles, something Apostolic and believed from the days of the Apostles until today and forever, something no Apostle ever dreamed up let alone preached.

The Fathers of the Second Ecumenical Council set up a boundary mark that Supreme Pontiff moved, while keeping that Supreme Pontiff within the boundaries established by the Fathers but leaped over by Pastor Aeternus.

I'm interested, what is it exactly that was defined and the Pope moved?
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: