OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 01:38:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marriage question: wives taking on their husbans' last name.  (Read 1341 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: August 24, 2012, 12:09:35 AM »

Here in the US, this has been pretty standard for the last 100+ years.  Maybe longer.  I'm curious as to if other countries practice this or not.  Example;  Sally O'Brien marries Tommy McCarthy.  Now Sally is Sally McCarthy. 

Also, is this a Christian Tradition? Big T or little t? 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 12:16:06 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Here in the US, this has been pretty standard for the last 100+ years.  Maybe longer.  I'm curious as to if other countries practice this or not.  Example;  Sally O'Brien marries Tommy McCarthy.  Now Sally is Sally McCarthy. 

In Ethiopian tradition, children take their father's first name as their surname, and when women are married they keep their original surname (i.e., their father's first name)

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 12:49:51 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

In Ethiopian tradition, children take their father's first name as their surname, and when women are married they keep their original surname (i.e., their father's first name)
I noticed that with an Eritrean family in my parish directory.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 01:01:21 AM »

Little t. The Arab woman keeps her family name.

In Spanish culture they join both names with "y" "and."

IIRC, in Scandinavia until recently (and still in Iceland) a woman still kept her patronymic.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 06:00:59 AM »

In Serbia and Poland there is the same situation as in USA. However, nowdays in Poland it's more and more popular that woman keeps her last name and after "-" there is her husband's surname.

As for Spain (I don't know about other Spanish speaking countries, I'm sure only about Mexico - that's the same as in Spain), they have two surnames. The first one is after father's first surname, and the second one after first mother's surname. Married woman keeps her original surnames.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 07:40:15 AM »

In Quebec, a wife uses the name on her birth certificate.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:59:11 AM »

My impression is that more often than not throughout human history, at least in the West (including Russia), women kept at least some marker of their father's family or clan name, just as they kept some kind of indelible rights to a paternal dowry.

The more important extended family/clan was, and the more marriage was seen as a social contract between two families, the more likely that a woman's name could never be subsumed by her husband's. Marriage was a unity of two houses, not merely two individuals.

Even today, though, where none of this obtains, I think it's safe to say that most (or at least a very large plurality of) women on Earth retain some marker of their father's house in their full name, particularly since the Chinese do so. This is true in the majority of Orthodox lands, e.g. Russia (patronymic), Greece (keep paternal surname), Middle East (keep paternal surname), etc., and also many Catholic ones.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 03:07:56 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie
This is the same in Kerala culture, except Malayalee wives also usually take their husbands first name as their last name as well.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 04:20:08 PM »

In Serbia and Poland there is the same situation as in USA. However, nowdays in Poland it's more and more popular that woman keeps her last name and after "-" there is her husband's surname.

Or women stay with their own name.

On the other hand the children share father's name or two names joined with "-". They can't keep mother's name only if the father is known.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 04:56:32 PM »

On the other hand the children share father's name or two names joined with "-". They can't keep mother's name only if the father is known.

If that is still the case, I guess we have a violation of EU law here. France was forced to change a similar law a few years ago.

In German law, the parents, if they have different last names, get to choose which of the names their children should have.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 05:04:59 PM »

If that is still the case, I guess we have a violation of EU law here. France was forced to change a similar law a few years ago.

In German law, the parents, if they have different last names, get to choose which of the names their children should have.

I've checked it and actually it is more complicated.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
choy
Archon

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 05:59:58 PM »

In Spanish culture they join both names with "y" "and."

The Philippines has an interesting case.  We adopted this from Spain after 333 years of colonization.  When the Americans came we started using the American way of naming, so the maiden surname of the mother now becomes the middle name of the children.  So my middle name is my mom's maiden surname and my children's middle name is my wife's maiden surname, this is despite my children being born in Canada.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 08:18:09 PM »

This applies to Finland too. IMO this is fairly ridiculous. Women, please keep your names or take your husband's but please don't create those weirdo combinations of both.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:22:31 PM by Alpo » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 07:03:24 AM »

Women, please keep your names or take your husband's but please don't create those weirdo combinations of both.

Agreed.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 07:48:12 AM »

I know very little history, but my wife took my last name.  It was not an option.  If I had to guess, I think it probably took when mass immigrants started coming to America, to keep record keeping easier.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 08:05:46 AM »

A further thought: It might actually be in *more* patriarchal cultures that women keep their paternal surname. It would be an insult to the authority of the father not to. In Rome, for example, most married women even remained under the legal authority of their father or grandfather after marriage.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 08:23:55 AM »

So interesting (and complicated) about Philippines.

Women, please keep your names or take your husband's but please don't create those weirdo combinations of both.

Agreed.

I would like to keep my maiden name because in Poland it's quite original and I'm very attached to it because it's one of these things that shows my Serbian origin. And to show and feel more I'm married I would take also my husband's name. Only if I married a Serbian, I would take his name. I know personally some women with both names and for me it sounds cool Tongue

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 08:37:51 AM »

I would like to keep my maiden name because in Poland it's quite original and I'm very attached to it because it's one of these things that shows my Serbian origin. And to show and feel more I'm married I would take also my husband's name. Only if I married a Serbian, I would take his name. I know personally some women with both names and for me it sounds cool Tongue

Maybe some names sound cool, but not all of them. For example, Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger, the German minister of justice, has a rather weird sounding name. But I imagine, with one Serbian and one Podachian Belarusian name it could be cool, something Like Dominika Milošević-Łukaszenka  Grin

Actually, I guess Hyperdox Herman would take on the name of his wife.

Marries cradle Orthodox mail order bride from Holy Russia

Now his name is Herman Ulyanov
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 08:56:18 AM »

And there's another advantage of having double-barrelled surname - they make you feel like a Roman emperor.

- The name's Tiberius Claudius Drusus Nero Caesar Augustus Germanicus, for friends - Jeff.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 09:17:49 AM »

Maybe some names sound cool, but not all of them. For example, Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger, the German minister of justice, has a rather weird sounding name. But I imagine, with one Serbian and one Podachian Belarusian name it could be cool, something Like Dominika Milošević-Łukaszenka  Grin

I beg to differ.  That is an AWESOME sounding name auf Deutsch.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
choy
Archon

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »

So interesting (and complicated) about Philippines.

Not so much complicated, every legal form will ask for "Mother's Maiden Name" and that is automatically your middle name Cheesy
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 04:07:52 PM »

I thought it had to deal with the daughter's father "giving" the daughter to the man.  The woman then submits to the man, under his name.

Really how it was done here is if you had a guy named

Jason Smith
and a gal named Maggie Johnson

Her name would be:

Mrs. Jason Smith

Seen old documents signed like that a bunch.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »

Here I will unveil my brilliant idea I've had forever that would make genealogies more easy to track, or so 2.3 seconds of thought once told me.

John X and Mary Y get married.

They BOTH become X-Y.

They carry both names and you know they are married in virtue of their name.

Their sons take X.
Daughters, Y.

Lotsa stuff get cleaned right up and made clear.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »

Agreed.

I agree unless you are using my system, see above.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »

Well, Orthonorm's idea is definitely superior to giving your daughters their mother's hyphenated name, only to have them hyphenate it again if and when they get married...

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 09:36:50 PM »

somewhere-down-the-line-there-is-going-to-be-a-lot-of-hyphens.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 10:01:36 PM »

"Mom, Dad, I'd like you to meet my fiancée, Elizabeth Smith-Jones-Harrison-Steinbeck-Pavarotti-O'Donnell-MacMurray-Portokalos-Johnson-Baker."

But I doubt they thought it through that far when they started hyphenating stuff.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:01:57 PM by OrthoNoob » Logged

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 10:48:06 PM »

"Mom, Dad, I'd like you to meet my fiancée, Elizabeth Smith-Jones-Harrison-Steinbeck-Pavarotti-O'Donnell-MacMurray-Portokalos-Johnson-Baker."

But I doubt they thought it through that far when they started hyphenating stuff.
I usually ask which name they want to be called.  I never do hyphenated names.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 04:00:50 AM »

Two segments is the maximum (at least here) unless you are also a citizen of another one country that allows more.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:02:03 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 01:26:58 PM »

Two segments is the maximum (at least here) unless you are also a citizen of another one country that allows more.

I'm not aware of any laws about it in the US...but then I've never researched the topic.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: