Author Topic: Smoking?  (Read 10564 times)

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Smoking?
« on: August 23, 2012, 03:11:26 AM »
So, do any of you fellows here smoke tobacco? If so, what is your favorite brand? I have never smoked, however, I really want to smoke someday--especially cigars. There is something about smoking that just seems so sophisticated and cultured to me, like, smoking a cigar would make me look like a stylish wise old man full of knowledge. I know that smoking is supposed to be bad for you and all, but I'm not sure if I believe all of that. My grandfather has been smoking since he was 16 years old (my age) AND was an alcoholic most of his life, yet he is still alive right now and in perfect health. And he smokes like two packs a day. Neither of my parents smoke and will not let me smoke, but I was thinking of maybe asking one of the wise old Greek gentlemen at my Church if I could have a cigarette and see what they say. Thoughts? I just want to try it once and then I will never do it again.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
Re: Smoking?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 03:24:10 AM »
My grandfather has been smoking since he was 16 years old (my age) AND was an alcoholic most of his life, yet he is still alive right now and in perfect health.

Does that seems like a good reason to smoke and become alcoholic to you  ???

Thoughts? I just want to try it once and then I will never do it again.

I think it's a bad idea.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:25:19 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Dimitrios-Georgios

• Saints Dimitrios and Georgios
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 03:55:12 AM »
As with all situations, there are always exceptions. I had a science professor in high school who used to smoke two packs a day at least. Until... he almost died at his 50s from a heart attack. He's fine now, thank God, and he's replaced smoking with tea. He's never smoked one cigarette since then.

If you don't believe that, there are thousands of scientific papers on how smoking is bad for your health, even in a cellular level. PubMed is a good start. ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:57:00 AM by Dimitrios-Georgios »

Offline WeldeMikael

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 04:12:01 AM »
Well, try to dismiss this thought while you still can !

As Dimitrios-Georgios said, it can strike anytime...

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 06:03:47 AM »
There is something about smoking that just seems so sophisticated and cultured to me, like, smoking a cigar would make me look like a stylish wise old man full of knowledge.

Vanity, vanity, all is vanity.  :(

There is nothing glamorous or pretty about lung cancer, throat cancer, mouth cancer, stroke, emphysema, blindness, amputation due to ischemia, or end-stage cardiac disease. I have plenty of family members and friends who smoked, and who ended up with one or more of these diseases. One was dead at 35, another at 38. The lives of their widows and small children were devastated.

Go visit an oncology, respiratory or cardiothoracic ward, James. Even better, a hospice. Talk to the doctors and nurses there. Talk to the patients there, if possible. You might learn something.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Pan Michał

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 06:45:48 AM »
There is something about smoking that just seems so sophisticated and cultured to me, like, smoking a cigar would make me look like a stylish wise old man full of knowledge.

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:58:16 AM »
I just want to try it once and then I will never do it again.
That's what they all say. I am not trying to judge you, but I think it is a terrible idea. Just because your grandfather got lucky does not mean you will be so fortunate.
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 09:08:56 AM »
That's what they all say. I am not trying to judge you, but I think it is a terrible idea. Just because your grandfather got lucky does not mean you will be so fortunate.

Yea, there are a lot of kids who said "ill just have one." A lot of those people are now addicts...

I know you can have 1 without immediately becoming addicted, but if you have one you will likely enjoy it and want another. Then, youre on a slippery slope where you will slide all the way down and eventually land in a giant puddle of cancer.

That being said, I do enjoy a cigar or pipe on rare occasions. Its probably no more than 5-6 a year though. Not that im counting, but I just rarely do it. Its certainly bad for you, no doubt about it, but so are McDonalds, Chick-fil-a, and taco bell.  And I eat at those places more than id care to admit.

Also... I have never had a cigarette in my life. Unless you count those mini Swisher Sweet cigars that are shaped like cigarettes and even have a filter on them...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:26:08 AM by Timon »
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline stavros_388

• OC.net guru
  • Unrest is the mark of existence.
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 09:18:23 AM »
The tobacco in marketed cigarettes is made to be as instantly pleasurable and addictive as possible. It is like a venus fly trap. You don't know you're trapped until it's too late, and it doesn't take much. FWIW, my mom died of Pancreatic cancer last year, the cause most likely being her lifelong smoking addiction. It wasn't pretty. My dad smokes 2.5 packs a day, can't work, can barely breathe, can't walk, can't feel his feet, and is completely ruled by his addiction. Trying to quit smoking 20 or so times before I finally succeeded was hard and painful for me, and I still have health problems from it. Smoking is one day going to be one of those things that humans look back at with embarrassment and pity. Please think twice before you do anything stupid. And then just don't do it.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »
Hope this helped, James. I dont think anyone would encourage you to smoke cigarettes. If you ask someone who smokes regularly/is addicted, im almost positive they would say dont start.

But if you do decide to smoke, you should at least 'sack up' and get some Marlboro Reds or those Camels without filters. If your gonna smoke, at least smoke like a man.  You definitely dont want to be seen with a box of Virginia Slims in your truck...
Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 10:34:08 AM »
I used to smoke cigars daily untold the cost became too great, so I switch to my pipes.  I don't smoke pipes daily because it takes an effort to smoke one properly, but I still enjoy the occasional cigar.  As with anything, moderation is the key.  But I never did like cigarettes.  They stink, taste horrible and cost too much.  Of all the tobacco products, pipes are the safest.  Like the others have said, it isn't something you just pick up for the heck of it. Think long and hard before you do.  Each person is different.  One could smoke all his life with no problem.  Another could smoke one year and die from it.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 10:52:56 AM »
Hope this helped, James. I dont think anyone would encourage you to smoke cigarettes. If you ask someone who smokes regularly/is addicted, im almost positive they would say dont start.

But if you do decide to smoke, you should at least 'sack up' and get some Marlboro Reds or those Camels without filters. If your gonna smoke, at least smoke like a man.  You definitely dont want to be seen with a box of Virginia Slims in your truck...
Not wise, Timon. Not wise. If you don't want James smoking, don't give him an out.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 10:54:39 AM »

Not wise, Timon. Not wise. If you don't want James smoking, don't give him an out.

True. And Marlboro Reds or those Camels will kill you in half the time of your average cig.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 11:04:14 AM »
So, do any of you fellows here smoke tobacco? If so, what is your favorite brand? I have never smoked, however, I really want to smoke someday--especially cigars. There is something about smoking that just seems so sophisticated and cultured to me, like, smoking a cigar would make me look like a stylish wise old man full of knowledge.
Why do you want to look like a stylish wise old man if you're not a stylish wise old man? Don't you think that kind of impersonation vain and dishonest?

I know that smoking is supposed to be bad for you and all,
Supposed to be bad for you? Cigarette smoking IS bad for you.

but I'm not sure if I believe all of that.
Maybe a decade of life experience and research into the dangerous health effects of smoking will give you greater perspective.

My grandfather has been smoking since he was 16 years old (my age) AND was an alcoholic most of his life, yet he is still alive right now and in perfect health. And he smokes like two packs a day.
It will catch up with him in time. BTW, I really doubt he's in perfect health. I'd be willing to bet there are some things you don't know about him.

Neither of my parents smoke and will not let me smoke, but I was thinking of maybe asking one of the wise old Greek gentlemen at my Church if I could have a cigarette and see what they say. Thoughts?
Obey your parents. If the old Greek gentleman has an ounce of wisdom in his body, he'll tell you exactly the same thing I just said: obey your parents. (That means not sneaking behind your parents' backs and doing what they forbid you to do while they're not looking.)

Famous last words.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:04:54 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 11:05:13 AM »
I used to smoke cigars daily untold the cost became too great, so I switch to my pipes.  I don't smoke pipes daily because it takes an effort to smoke one properly, but I still enjoy the occasional cigar.  As with anything, moderation is the key.  But I never did like cigarettes.  They stink, taste horrible and cost too much.  Of all the tobacco products, pipes are the safest.  Like the others have said, it isn't something you just pick up for the heck of it. Think long and hard before you do.  Each person is different.  One could smoke all his life with no problem.  Another could smoke one year and die from it.

Same here.  I like cigars, but I do not often have time to enjoy one.  Since I smoke for enjoyment, I will not light one up if I will not have time to finish it.  I have a couple of pipes that I sometimes smoke.  They are nice when you just want something quick.  However, it is the whole "process" or cult of the cigar that I enjoy, so I need to have a good hour or more free (two is better) to really enjoy a good cigar.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 11:07:15 AM »

Same here.  I like cigars, but I do not often have time to enjoy one.  Since I smoke for enjoyment, I will not light one up if I will not have time to finish it.  I have a couple of pipes that I sometimes smoke.  They are nice when you just want something quick.  However, it is the whole "process" or cult of the cigar that I enjoy, so I need to have a good hour or more free (two is better) to really enjoy a good cigar.

When fall arrives, and it isnt so dang hot, im sure ill be able to find an hour or two to enjoy a cigar.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 11:16:59 AM »
I like my pipe.  I usually smoke a blend of cheap burley and cavendish.  I am working on making smoke rings.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 01:03:29 PM »

Depending on the pipe, they usually last longer than cigars.  It probably is the result of going out after sitting a few minutes where cigars burn longer before going out.  I have one group 6 pipe that's usually takes about 3 1/2 hours to finish, but I hardly use it.  Most are group 3 or 4.

Piping is a process and if done incorrectly results in a few days of mouth pain.  I'm more of an English smoker, but when its hot I have been working in some Burley and VA, though I must respect the VA.

You are right on being able to enjoy it.  That's why I stopped my daily cigar habit.  Costs too much.  Now I may smoke a pipe two or three times a week.  Depends on if I am taking a class and doing homework.  Then I smoke more.

James, are you yet old enough to smoke?

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 01:04:23 PM »
I like my pipe.  I usually smoke a blend of cheap burley and cavendish.  I am working on making smoke rings.
PA?

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 01:08:36 PM »

A pipe can take up to an hour or longer.

I enjoy cigars, but am not knowledgeable about them at all. I smoke what my buddies do when we have cigars.

A pipe can be a very simple process to a most elaborate depending on your disposition or mood.

Due to my ridiculous seasonal allergies, you'll find me having neither outside a smoke shop this time of year as I don't smoke indoors.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 01:54:13 PM »
So, do any of you fellows here smoke tobacco? If so, what is your favorite brand? I have never smoked, however, I really want to smoke someday--especially cigars. There is something about smoking that just seems so sophisticated and cultured to me, like, smoking a cigar would make me look like a stylish wise old man full of knowledge. I know that smoking is supposed to be bad for you and all, but I'm not sure if I believe all of that. My grandfather has been smoking since he was 16 years old (my age) AND was an alcoholic most of his life, yet he is still alive right now and in perfect health. And he smokes like two packs a day. Neither of my parents smoke and will not let me smoke, but I was thinking of maybe asking one of the wise old Greek gentlemen at my Church if I could have a cigarette and see what they say. Thoughts? I just want to try it once and then I will never do it again.

Why not wait until they can't get in trouble with the law if they gave you one, to ask?
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 01:54:13 PM »
The tobacco in marketed cigarettes is made to be as instantly pleasurable and addictive as possible.

Not American Spirits.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 02:42:20 PM »
I have fond memories of my grandfather smoking his pipe (and sometimes cigars) as we watched baseball together. When I smell those certain scents it still reminds me of those time. Having said that, deciding not to smoke was probably the best decision I ever made. Certainly financially it was the smartest one I ever made. This is not to condemn smokers or pass judgment on them, I'm just really glad I never got hooked.

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »
All right guys you got me. I won't smoke even though I find it really tempting. And if I do ever cave in, I'll at least wait until I am of legal age.

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 02:48:39 PM »
I once knew a Greek Orthodox man, a former fighter pilot and computer whiz, who quit smoking years before he died an agonizing death from lung cancer. He weighed less than 100 lb. when he finally died, leaving his wife and three children.
So there's your anecdotal evidence.
Don't even think about smoking.
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 02:53:52 PM »

But if you do decide to smoke, you should at least 'sack up' and get some Marlboro Reds or those Camels without filters. If your gonna smoke, at least smoke like a man.  You definitely dont want to be seen with a box of Virginia Slims in your truck...

Actually quite wisely. There is lower chance that one would enjoy strong cigarette for the first smoke. Usually people start from those heavily flavoured stuff with huge filters (like Djarum).

I recommend Беломорканал for the first time. There is no more cult brand and there is almost no chance he would enjoy them.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:55:01 PM by Michał Kalina »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 02:58:03 PM »
Is it true that smoking could potentially jeapordize any career I would have involving singing or public speaking because it affects your voice and breath control?

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
I once knew a Greek Orthodox man, a former fighter pilot and computer whiz, who quit smoking years before he died an agonizing death from lung cancer. He weighed less than 100 lb. when he finally died, leaving his wife and three children.

I know a guy who was married for two years with just as many kids. He died within four months of finding out he had small cell lung cancer that metastasized.

Never smoked.

In North America, your risk for lung cancer as a non-smoker is about 1%.

For smokers, about 3%.

In other countries the difference is typically smaller.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 03:01:33 PM »
Is it true that smoking could potentially jeapordize any career I would have involving singing or public speaking because it affects your voice and breath control?

Hey, many a young woman has developed the smoky voice of a much older woman by smoking a lot in their younger years.

YMMV.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 03:03:12 PM »

There's a lady at Church who's husband died of lung cancer.  He was young and never smoked.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 03:03:33 PM »
PA?

PA?

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 03:04:04 PM »

Hey, many a young woman has developed the smoky voice of a much older woman by smoking a lot in their younger years.

YMMV.

My grandmother's voice was so bad from smoking for 50+ years that people on the telephone sometimes mistook her for a man :o

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 03:18:33 PM »

probably not. unless you die. hard to sing or talk when your dead.

our dear ruler, Obama, smokes.  Hes a pretty good public speaker.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 03:22:48 PM »

our dear ruler, Obama, smokes.  Hes a pretty good public speaker.

Bottom, James' height is going to kill any public speaking or singing career way before lung cancer gets a chance to. Sorry James, you are going to have to confine yourself to the power behind the power.

Look at all the little men who put Bill Clinton over the top.

Reich was born with multiple epiphyseal dysplasia, also known as Fairbanks disease, and as a result is 4 feet 10.5 inches (148.6 cm) tall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Reich

Offline Pan Michał

• Elder
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »

Amy Whinehouse would disagree, if she would be more alive.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:29:37 PM by Pan Michał »

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 03:28:56 PM »

Amy Whinehouse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lioness:_Hidden_Treasures would disagree, if she would be more alive.

I've have heard from reliable sources that 2pac is lighting up just as you read this.

Offline Pan Michał

• Elder
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 03:30:45 PM »
I've have heard from reliable sources that 2pac is lighting up just as you read this.

I'd like to be that productive on his place :)

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 03:44:49 PM »
Depending on the pipe, they usually last longer than cigars.  It probably is the result of going out after sitting a few minutes where cigars burn longer before going out.  I have one group 6 pipe that's usually takes about 3 1/2 hours to finish, but I hardly use it.  Most are group 3 or 4.

Piping is a process and if done incorrectly results in a few days of mouth pain. 

It certainly depends on how you do it.  I use the pipe for quick smokes (15min or so) because I can regulate how much I load in to it.  With a cigar, you are stuck with whatever length you have, unless you want to waste.  Those that are into the cult of the pipe certainly can spend hours smoking one - and you are right on about the mouth burn if you do not know what you are doing!  The only 3 hour cigar I have on hand is a Davidoff Anniversario No. 1.  This is a real special occasion cigar. 
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2012, 03:59:46 PM »
Honestly, and I seriously mean No offense! as I say this, I am sort of disheartened that there are not more people discouraging James from this activity.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:02:18 PM by Severian »
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline Manalive

• Иоанн
  • Elder
  • It is later than we think.
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »
I started smoking when I was 15/16 and didn't quit until I was 22 and entering seriously into the cathecumanate. It was a pack a day thing. It's a nasty expensive habit.

I also think you're wanting to smoke for the wrong reasons. Flee from the passions and embrace denial of self. You aren't James Dean or Tyler Durden. You don't need to show people you are "cool" or "wise" by smoking. These days, you certainly will do the opposite.
"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2012, 04:24:13 PM »
Honestly, and I seriously mean No offense! as I say this, I am sort of disheartened that there are not more people discouraging James from this activity.

Fine.

James.  Smoking is bad.  Don't do it.

Also, get rid of your cell phone.  Don't eat genetically modified foods or animals injected with hormones and medication.  Likewise, stay away from medication yourself.  Some of them cause dependencies or have harmful side effects.  You'd best just stay away from them.  Stay away from cars as well.  Why bother not smoking if you're just going to inhale all the second hand smoke that comes out of the exhaust.  Please, for the life of you, stay away from black cats, don't walk under ladder, never ever break a mirror and shoot anyone who give you the evil eye.  Stop heating your home because gas-fired appliances can under some circumstances leak deadly CO into the atmosphere.  We should stop raising cows because their farts contain methane which is depleting the ozone layer.  While you are at it, stop farting as well, you're just ruining the atmosphere for all of us you earth hating capitalist pig.  Avoid black people at all costs.  Actually I don't know why I am telling you to do this, I just want to see if anyone is actually reading this.  Tear out all the wires in your house as should you ever have a house fire the CO will be the least of your worries.  Burning wires emit phosgene gas.  If you ever clean your toilet, you should immediately stop using bleach and ammonia at the same time and if you do, you need to stop breathing it in as chlorine gas killed a friend of my cousins great grand uncle in WWI.  Watch out for light bulbs.  Most light emits UV radiation in some shape or form, though the sun it the worst culprit.  Avoid that at all costs unless you start having a vitamin d deficiency.  Never ever clone velociraptors.  They are foreign animals and can cause problems for local ecosystems.  Just look at what Chinese Carp are doing to our water ways!  Avoid surgery as thousands of people have crap left in them every year by overworked surgeons. I saw it on a show.  Always wear a helmet when riding a bike.  If you are a moron you might fall and get an owwie.

Offline Severian

• Taxiarches
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2012, 04:28:30 PM »
^That's the spirit! :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:30:15 PM by Severian »

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2012, 04:34:43 PM »

For what it's worth, Uncle Kracker has remarked that his voice is because of smoking.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2012, 04:34:43 PM »

Perhaps it's because some of us are willing to do something we find enjoyable, even when society hates you for it, and even when there is some risk involved.  It isn't like smoking means you have a 50% chance of death by 40.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 04:35:26 PM »

Fine.

James.  Smoking is bad.  Don't do it.

Also, get rid of your cell phone.  Don't eat genetically modified foods or animals injected with hormones and medication.  Likewise, stay away from medication yourself.  Some of them cause dependencies or have harmful side effects.  You'd best just stay away from them.  Stay away from cars as well.  Why bother not smoking if you're just going to inhale all the second hand smoke that comes out of the exhaust.  Please, for the life of you, stay away from black cats, don't walk under ladder, never ever break a mirror and shoot anyone who give you the evil eye.  Stop heating your home because gas-fired appliances can under some circumstances leak deadly CO into the atmosphere.  We should stop raising cows because their farts contain methane which is depleting the ozone layer.  While you are at it, stop farting as well, you're just ruining the atmosphere for all of us you earth hating capitalist pig.  Avoid black people at all costs.  Actually I don't know why I am telling you to do this, I just want to see if anyone is actually reading this.  Tear out all the wires in your house as should you ever have a house fire the CO will be the least of your worries.  Burning wires emit phosgene gas.  If you ever clean your toilet, you should immediately stop using bleach and ammonia at the same time and if you do, you need to stop breathing it in as chlorine gas killed a friend of my cousins great grand uncle in WWI.  Watch out for light bulbs.  Most light emits UV radiation in some shape or form, though the sun it the worst culprit.  Avoid that at all costs unless you start having a vitamin d deficiency.  Never ever clone velociraptors.  They are foreign animals and can cause problems for local ecosystems.  Just look at what Chinese Carp are doing to our water ways!  Avoid surgery as thousands of people have crap left in them every year by overworked surgeons. I saw it on a show.  Always wear a helmet when riding a bike.  If you are a moron you might fall and get an owwie.

What?  ;D