Author Topic: Sun and Moon flee Crucifixion  (Read 738 times)

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
Sun and Moon flee Crucifixion
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:28:59 PM »
I recently saw a mosaic in which two celestial bodies were moving away from the crucified Christ. They had stylized comet tails; one was red, and one was ice blue.

Here is an icon showing these two bodies:

These are indeed the sun and moon, yes? The sun is red because of eclipse?

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:33:04 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Father H

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Nea Roma
Re: Sun and Moon flee Crucifixion
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:08:06 PM »
Eclipse?  Who said it was necessarily an eclipse (besides Time magazine and the Discovery Channel before it completely dismissed anything Christian)?   Does an eclipse make it dark as night?  Is an eclipse the sun hiding its light, or is it the moon hiding the sun's light? 

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 09:27:09 PM »
Eclipse?  Who said it was necessarily an eclipse (besides Time magazine and the Discovery Channel before it completely dismissed anything Christian)?   Does an eclipse make it dark as night?  Is an eclipse the sun hiding its light, or is it the moon hiding the sun's light? 

I don't know. Why is the sun red?
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Father H

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Nea Roma
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:45:11 PM »

The moon is red.  The sun turned into darkness and the moon into blood. 

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 03:08:31 AM »

The moon is red.  The sun turned into darkness and the moon into blood. 

Father,

Thanks. That explains it for me. I love the imagery.