OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 09:33:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My religion class  (Read 1603 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2012, 08:48:23 PM »

So would I be obligated to correct him? He keeps saying stuff that ain't true to the class. Like that Vatican II did away with dogma and seeing Catholicism as the one true faith.
As an alternative to simply correcting him, try asking him further questions. If he says VII did away with dogma, ask him which dogmas did VII do away with. If he says VII did away with the idea that Catholicism is the one true faith, ask him in what ways did VII see Catholicism as being in error.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2012, 10:09:51 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I took a Religious vs Science class at university because I thought it would be an interesting debate.  I was disappointed at the shallowness of some of the science, but then again, it was a humanities class.  However we did have good discussions and I enjoyed the opportunities to talk and listen in our in-class discussions and the projects and essays were very interesting. The instructor was a devout Catholic, albeit a really laid back surfer cat, but for his class he really played the devil's advocate. I was impressed at how he didn't let his own personal faith as a Catholic interlope to much into his lessons, I would have thought it biased. However, we were not required to get out of our comfort zone about our own faith, neither were we asked to perform the rituals of another Faith. I agree with other posters on this thread, that is really more disrespectful to the other Faiths than it is to ourselves as Christians.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2012, 11:26:15 PM »

but when it comes to taking part (don't do any rituals from other religions), or if u are asked a question, then say what u believe and why.

enter the situation with prayer, coming close to God in humility to receive His mercy.

This. Never take part in rituals from other religions.

I was forced by my high school teacher in religion in class to sacrifice rice and flowers to an hindu idol. I said I didn't want to do it but she kept on pushing.  I feel so bad that the martyrs wouldn't do it, under threat of death, but that I did it reluctantly (not that it makes under pressure of some teacher). I still feel very sad about it. But I was only 15 back then Sad
I remember when my sons and I visited the local temple, but we didn't go in because we don't take our shoes off to idols.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: