OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:35:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confession  (Read 402 times) Average Rating: 0
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« on: August 20, 2012, 03:01:08 PM »

Can you please provide some quotes about why Confession is considered a Holy Mystery(Sacrament) and some good readings on the Mystery of Confession and the other Mysteries of the Church?

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 03:12:41 PM »

Here is a quote:
Just like we understand the ministry of Jesus: as a ministry of healing. Sin is a spiritual poison that will infect our soul and destroy us, if it is not expelled; just like poison in our stomach would kill us, if we did not vomit it out. By confessing, by calling out, to the Lord, to the Church, to ourselves, and even to the devil, that we have sinned and we are truly sorry, we expel the poison that is inside us. Saint John of the Ladder writes, “Nothing gives demons more power against us than un-confessed sins in our heart upon which they feed.” Great Saints like King David and the Apostle Peter, and scriptural “heroes” like the publican and the prodigal, prove the necessity of confession and the grace of God's forgiveness that follows. Saint John Chrysostom explains it simply: “Repentance is a medicine which destroys sin. It is a heavenly gift. It accepts and transforms all. It does not send away the adulterer or the drunkard, the idolater or the slanderer. The wound and the medicine – these are sin and confession.”(His Grace, Michael ~ Bishop of New York & the Diocese of New York and New Jersey)

watch the video:

http://www.churchmotherofgod.org/links-to-other-websites/diocese-website-links/36-lessons-in-our-faith-sacrament-of-confession.html"
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 03:29:06 PM »

Why confession to a priest in the church?

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 03:40:59 PM »

Why confession to a priest in the church?

Because you're confessing to God - the priest is a witness.
And to help keep you honest.
For me, I have a remarkable facility for fooling myself into thinking I'm not such a bad person after all. That all these flaws, selfishness, unkindness and bad temper are simply charming eccentricities. That kind of thinking is difficult to sustain if you're telling a priest about it.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:46:49 PM »

The priest is merely a witness to your confession.

Additionally, because he hears what ails you, he can assist in your cure.

For example, if you come one day and confess to having stolen a piece of bling from a store, he may ask if you repent of the theft, and might even suggest you return it, and steal no more.

If the following week you return and once again you confess to having stolen another item, and the following week, you repeat this action....then clearly you have an issue that you alone can't seem to "stop". 

Therefore, the priest will suggest various ways for you to strengthen your resolve.

He's only there to help you.  He won't judge you....nor is he the one who forgives you your sins.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »

Well the goal is reconciliation with God. Confession to a priest is a step in that direction.  First one must take a good look at oneself and see what they are truly sorry for. Second is the open and heartfelt confession, but the third step is the formal prayer of absolution. 

Confession to a priest helps with the first step because we most likely would not take a good look at ourselves if we were not going to confession.   And he could give you the formal prayer of absolution without hearing your confession, but you will not feel reconciliation with God as you would after an honest confession.

I may ask why go to a dental hygienist when I can keep my teeth clean myself.  The answer is, I will do a better job knowing that the dental hygienist is going to find where I miss. Same with going to a spiritual hygienist.
Eldo55
LORD HAVE MERCY...

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 11:51:31 AM »

http://andreaskoutsoudis3.com/the-divine-liturgy-of-saint-john-chrysostomos/watchfulness-prayer-and-confession/

http://andreaskoutsoudis3.com/the-divine-liturgy-of-saint-john-chrysostomos/preparation-for-holy-confession/

http://andreaskoutsoudis3.com/the-divine-liturgy-of-saint-john-chrysostomos/an-orthodox-confession/

links about confession, I hope these help you ... God Bless

You fast now and then, but I am never refreshed by any food; you often keep vigil, but I never fall asleep. Only in one thing are you better than I am and I acknowledge that.” Macarius said to him, “What is that?” and he replied, “It is because of your humility alone that I cannot overcome you.”
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: