OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 01:19:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An apology and a friendly request...  (Read 1447 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: August 19, 2012, 10:11:59 PM »

Friends, Brothers and Sisters,

I hope I don't come off as preacy, nor do I want to sound sentimental.  But for quite some time now something has been bothering me about this forum and I wanted to share my thoughts with all y'all.

During the course of discussion, regardless of the topic, I notice that the tone we take with one another is often snarky or just plain mean.  I notice this because I'm usually one of the one's responsible.  And so I want to offer a heart-felt apology to any and everyone I have scandalized.  There is no excuse for it for the God I proclain I love and worship asks us to love one another and to overlook each others' offense.  I hope you can forgive me.

My humble request is for everyone to please try to be more kind and gentle with each other.  I realize that sometimes strong words and assertiveness are needed, but surely we can all find ways to be forgiving and humble with one another. 

I also realize that some of the snark and jerkiness are just par for the course on internet fora; one should realize that a thick skin is always appreaciated and helpful.  Still, we are followers of Lord Jesus Christ. 

In ICXC,
Your brother

Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 10:17:01 PM »

Guilty as charged.  New Year Resolution for September 1. Maybe I'll practice beforehand.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 10:21:04 PM »

Noticed the same thing myself, and yes I've contributed to that as well. Sometimes we forget our brothers and sisters are behind that computer screen.

The internet brings out the worst in everyone.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:21:58 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:49:22 PM »

Excellent post and points, Gabriel.

I've actually noticed this even outside the forum....everyone, everywhere is lacking patience and compassion....me, included.

Sorry if I offended anyone!

BIG HUG!  I love you all!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 10:49:54 PM »

I've actually noticed this even outside the forum....everyone, everywhere is lacking patience and compassion....me, included.

I wonder if there are more outside forces at play recently. Are people just unhappy in general these days?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 11:06:11 PM »

Yes, and yes...

Cool thread, by the way!

I wonder if there are more outside forces at play recently. Are people just unhappy in general these days?

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 11:13:52 PM »

Man I hope you slobbering sob sisters are not expecting me to change.  I would really be PO'd if I had to change my name from Punch to Barney.  I don't think I could survive the shift from curmudgeon to purple dinosaur.  Boy do I hope you are joking . . .

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 11:18:59 PM »

We love you just the way you are, Punch!

Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 12:48:39 AM »

Man I hope you slobbering sob sisters are not expecting me to change.  I would really be PO'd if I had to change my name from Punch to Barney.  I don't think I could survive the shift from curmudgeon to purple dinosaur.  Boy do I hope you are joking . . .

Perhaps some compromise could be reached?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:49:20 AM by vamrat » Logged
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 12:54:27 AM »

I know I'm grumpier than usual. Sorry to anyone I may have taken it out on recently.  I figured it was just me. Hmm.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 01:00:50 AM »

Have been trying to work on it, but I will continue to do so Smiley

alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 11:05:10 AM »

Ironically (or not) I was going through my profile several days ago and looked at some of my posts. Many foolish replies from what cannot be denied are my own foolish lips. Down right embarrassing in several cases.

I consider it a blessing to be here and ya’ll have helped me grow so much in my faith and struggle to live in Christ. 

Please forgive me too folks for I am a sinner.

A wise humble post Gabriel. Bless ya!

Peace & Grace,

Scott

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 11:22:14 AM »

Thank you Gabriel. I know I am guilty. Thanks for the excellent words of edification. Pray for me a sinner. Love you my brother.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 01:04:25 PM »

Man I hope you slobbering sob sisters are not expecting me to change.  I would really be PO'd if I had to change my name from Punch to Barney.  I don't think I could survive the shift from curmudgeon to purple dinosaur.  Boy do I hope you are joking . . .

Perhaps some compromise could be reached?

Where is the "LIKE" button?

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 01:07:25 PM »

—St. Isaac of Syria
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 01:34:29 PM »

Thanks!

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 03:45:16 PM »

Man I hope you slobbering sob sisters are not expecting me to change.  I would really be PO'd if I had to change my name from Punch to Barney.  I don't think I could survive the shift from curmudgeon to purple dinosaur.  Boy do I hope you are joking . . .

C'mon now - group hug!!!! Kiss

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 04:22:25 PM »

Can't.  The arms are too small.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 04:26:49 PM »

I would love a group hug, but I cannot do so because some may see it as objectifying those whom I am hugging.  And God forbid that I may get a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 04:59:51 PM »

I would love a group hug, but I cannot do so because some may see it as objectifying those whom I am hugging.  And God forbid that I may get a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
And all that warm fuzzy lint from my Barney sweater.

We love you, I love you...

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 05:01:39 PM »

I like my personal space.  A hug is out of the question.  A handshake is pushing it. 
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 09:11:44 PM »

A hug is out of the question. 

I can always dream...

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 09:29:10 PM »

So often we get caught up in the busyness of our daily lives and often the stress spills out into our encounters with others.  We're all guilty of it from time to time.  But I was thinking that, with the world becomming more and more divisive and everyone short with one another and a loss of basic civility, who else but us can show the love of Christ?  Who else but us will be Christ to those who need Him?  I think about how often I'm short or impatient with others who irritate me and I wonder, what if I was the only one who smiled or asked them how their day is going that day?  What if they were mistreated and were just needing a little kindness, like the Jewish person on the side of the road needing medical attention.  Thinking these things spurs me on to be more kinder but it also saddens me that I can be so rude, impatient and mean with others. 

Anyway, sorry for rambling on and on....  Tongue Smiley   

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 11:09:45 PM »

....and I was sooooo looking forward to a cyber hug!!!!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:12:46 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

—St. Isaac of Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 01:06:28 AM »

Fine.  I'll cyber hug you.  XOXO.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 10:37:48 AM »

I think about how often I'm short or impatient with others who irritate me and I wonder, what if I was the only one who smiled or asked them how their day is going that day?  What if they were mistreated and were just needing a little kindness, like the Jewish person on the side of the road needing medical attention.  Thinking these things spurs me on to be more kinder but it also saddens me that I can be so rude, impatient and mean with others. 

I struggle with this all the time. I am most often the most impatient and rude to those that I love, my family and especially my husband. Pray for me, a sinner!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »

Fine.  I'll cyber hug you.  XOXO.

Thanks!

I feel better now!!!

—St. Isaac of Syria
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 08:01:49 PM »

From a friend of mine.

ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »

From a friend of mine.
remember the grizzle man, who got eaten by one?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 08:11:36 PM »

Archbishop John of blessed memory recommended a shot of vodka.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 08:14:15 PM »

From a friend of mine.
remember the grizzle man, who got eaten by one?

He could've used one of these anti-bear suits, from what must certainly be the best bear-crazed weirdo documentary:

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 09:58:18 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Friends, Brothers and Sisters,

I hope I don't come off as preacy, nor do I want to sound sentimental.  But for quite some time now something has been bothering me about this forum and I wanted to share my thoughts with all y'all.

During the course of discussion, regardless of the topic, I notice that the tone we take with one another is often snarky or just plain mean.  I notice this because I'm usually one of the one's responsible.  And so I want to offer a heart-felt apology to any and everyone I have scandalized.  There is no excuse for it for the God I proclain I love and worship asks us to love one another and to overlook each others' offense.  I hope you can forgive me.

My humble request is for everyone to please try to be more kind and gentle with each other.  I realize that sometimes strong words and assertiveness are needed, but surely we can all find ways to be forgiving and humble with one another.  

I also realize that some of the snark and jerkiness are just par for the course on internet fora; one should realize that a thick skin is always appreaciated and helpful.  Still, we are followers of Lord Jesus Christ.  

In ICXC,
Your brother

Gabriel

Thank you for the apology, I also forget from time to time that essentially, this forum is Church, and we should conduct ourselves as if we were at coffee hour Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:58:37 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: