OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:30:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Necessity of Godparents?  (Read 1085 times) Average Rating: 0
Logan

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: August 19, 2012, 02:58:36 PM »

My wife and I are having a girl later this year. We were both baptized in the Orthodox Church and would like our daughter to be baptized in the Orthodox Church as well. We have been told that our child needs to have Godparents in order to be baptized. Is this a requirement in all Orthodox churches? If yes, then this is a problem for us. We are not regular church attendees and are not close to any people who would be good Godparent candidates. Also, we will not be in our current location for more than another two years, so any Godparents would play a minimal role in her life.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »

My wife and I are having a girl later this year. We were both baptized in the Orthodox Church and would like our daughter to be baptized in the Orthodox Church as well. We have been told that our child needs to have Godparents in order to be baptized. Is this a requirement in all Orthodox churches?

Welcome to the forum.   Smiley

Yes, Godparents are standard in an Orthodox Church.

If yes, then this is a problem for us. We are not regular church attendees

Do you and your wife have any Orthodox relatives independent of regular church attendance like siblings?  cousins?  I'm not for relatives being Godparents; however, based on what you said - relatives serving as Godparents may work for you.

and are not close to any people who would be good Godparent candidates. Also, we will not be in our current location for more than another two years, so any Godparents would play a minimal role in her life.

My Godparents live an hour from me; I didn't see them much as a child.  Didn't affect their role in my life.
Logan

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 03:18:46 PM »

Thanks for replying. I understand that Godparents are the norm for Orthodox churches, but are they required for our child to be baptized? Will our daughter be denied baptism if we cannot find Godparents? Neither of or respective families are religious, so relatives are not an option.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »

They do not have to be religious or even attending church. Just formally Orthodox and willing to hold a candle and say the creed.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 03:46:58 PM »

Thanks for replying. I understand that Godparents are the norm for Orthodox churches, but are they required for our child to be baptized? Will our daughter be denied baptism if we cannot find Godparents? Neither of or respective families are religious, so relatives are not an option.

In our Church, Godparents are a requirement.  If you don't have anyone in mind, the Priest will find someone.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 03:57:51 PM »

So why do you want to baptise it?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 04:00:11 PM »

My wife and I are having a girl later this year. We were both baptized in the Orthodox Church and would like our daughter to be baptized in the Orthodox Church as well. We have been told that our child needs to have Godparents in order to be baptized. Is this a requirement in all Orthodox churches? If yes, then this is a problem for us. We are not regular church attendees and are not close to any people who would be good Godparent candidates. Also, we will not be in our current location for more than another two years, so any Godparents would play a minimal role in her life.
Congratulations and many years!

You'll find some great answers to your questions here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13107.html

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 04:11:57 PM »

yep, the church usually mandates it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 04:15:49 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Logan

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 04:35:46 PM »

Our daughter is not an "it". We want her to be baptized for the same reasons other people want their children to be baptized.
Logan

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 04:37:12 PM »

Congratulations and many years!

You'll find some great answers to your questions here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13107.html

Thank you. I'll check out this site.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 12:28:24 AM »

Our daughter is not an "it". We want her to be baptized for the same reasons other people want their children to be baptized.
I wasn't raised in church so I actually don't know the reason why by default.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »

Why do people baptize their children?  To continue traditions?  To expose children to the parents' faith?  Because a grandparent wants to?  Am I missing something?   Huh
Logan

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 02:47:34 AM »

Why do people baptize their children?  To continue traditions?  To expose children to the parents' faith?  Because a grandparent wants to?  Am I missing something?   Huh

We want for her to be baptized so she can receive our Lord's grace, and to be introduced to The Church.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 03:22:47 AM »

We want for her to be baptized so she can receive our Lord's grace, and to be introduced to The Church.

Sounds pretty good to me.  Sorry for the 3rd degree from some.

It seems that you and your wife should interact a bit with the congregation, speak with the priest, and hopefully you can find someone suitable, who would be willing to sponsor (be the godparents) of your child.  Given your tendency to move, it may not be an ideal or lasting relationship but, to put it bluntly, it would fulfill the requirements.  And who knows? It could develop into something.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Logan

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 04:01:02 AM »

Sounds pretty good to me.  Sorry for the 3rd degree from some.

It seems that you and your wife should interact a bit with the congregation, speak with the priest, and hopefully you can find someone suitable, who would be willing to sponsor (be the godparents) of your child.  Given your tendency to move, it may not be an ideal or lasting relationship but, to put it bluntly, it would fulfill the requirements.  And who knows? It could develop into something.

Thank you for your suggestion. We have a few months before our daughter is born, so hopefully we'll be able to talk with our local priest and find a solution.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 05:22:51 AM »

Our daughter is not an "it". We want her to be baptized...

Amen. I cringed when I read that too. But I'm sure Michal didn't mean any harm.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 05:51:11 AM »

I'm not for relatives being Godparents

Why not? I'm not familiar with Finnish EO practice but relatives being godparents is fairly standard practice among Finnish Lutherans.
Logan

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 08:52:05 AM »

Our daughter is not an "it". We want her to be baptized...

Amen. I cringed when I read that too. But I'm sure Michal didn't mean any harm.

Selam

To state the obvious, I was displeased when Michal referred to my unborn daughter as an "it". That is insulting language. But now I realize that he is young, and English is not his native language, so it's possible no slight was intended. I should be more aware of such possibilities since my wife and I do not share the same native language. Misunderstandings still occasionally occur, even after many years of happy marriage.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:52:57 AM by Logan » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 10:57:56 AM »

In Polish "a children" is neuter.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 02:21:06 PM »

In Polish "a children" is neuter.

As it was in Old English and modern Germanic languages that have retained three genders, i.e das Kind in German.  Russian (ребёнок, masculine) and Ukraine (Детина - feminine) are the outliers among European languages. 
Tags: godparents 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: