OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 07:23:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian Child Arrested in Pakistan For Blasphemy  (Read 857 times) Average Rating: 0
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« on: August 19, 2012, 01:11:18 PM »

An 11-year-old Christian girl has been arrested after being accused of desecrating pages of a book containing Islamic text.

She was detained for blasphemy after an angry mob demanded her arrest and threatened to burn down Christian homes outside of the capital, Islamabad, Pakistani media say.

The girl is known to have learning difficulties, officials say.

Police have taken her parents into protective custody following threats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19311098
kevlev
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Lord have mercy

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »

Lord have mercy. Through the prayers of the Theotokos, may she and her family be preserved from all harm.

From my youth have many passions warred against me, but do Thou Thyself defend and save me, O Saviour.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 03:23:41 PM »

Lord have mercy.   Sad  Read this to my 10 and six year olds to remind them, next time they feel like complaining about fasting or prayers, that they have it easy.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:05:54 AM »

Here's a page for St. Mary's Coptic Orthodox Church outside of Islamabad proper.  They're trying to gain a bit of publicity (and protection) regarding this.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/StMarys-Coptic-Orthodox-ChurchIqbal-TownIslamabadPakistan/332989913397331

New details are emerging, but none the change the reality that this was a mentally handicapped girl.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 01:13:35 AM »

Lord have mercy!!!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 01:44:32 AM »

Barbarians. Lord have mercy.
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 02:17:22 AM »

LORD have mercy!
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 03:48:31 AM »

A couple more links from another thread, some with the ability to donate.  Does it directly help this situation? Probably not.  Still, better than just being angry and apathetic.  I'll report back with any more info I get from the actual area.  Bit dicey at the moment.

http://orthodoxpakistan.org/

and another...

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2012/02/russian-orthodox-church-opens-in-pakistan/

If looking through the pictures doesn't inspire you a bit...

Lord, have mercy.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 07:48:40 AM »

Nothing new in Allah's desert! Soon they will officially identify Christians as people with Down syndrom, and exterminate them like their spiritual brothers did in Nazi Europe. "Give a dog a bad name and hang him!" Poor girl!

I met a Pakistani businessman in Brussels a couple of years ago who talke enthusiastically about Hitler. He told me he loves him so much....I pitty the fool who cultivates freindship with such Muslims.  Shocked
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:12:45 AM by Balthasar » Logged
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 03:32:43 PM »

Breaking news regarding this case: A local Imam, Khalid Chisti, has been arrested on charges of blasphemy for planting the burned pages of the Qur'an among the items carried by the prosecuted girl in order to force local Christians to flee the area in the ensuing violence. Watch the BBC report here.

Mr. Chisti has been reported as saying ""We are not upset the Christians have left and we will be pleased if they don't come back" (source)

Now there is the possibility that he may have to fear for his life, being prosecuted under the same blasphemy law that he conspired to have the poor young girl prosecuted under. I am still against the blasphemy law (specifically because we know that such abuses of it do go on; here is finally evidence that the authorities cannot ignore!), but in this case I have to say, it couldn't be happening to a more deserving guy.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:56:38 PM by dzheremi » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 03:50:58 PM »

Watch the BBC report here.

Mr. Chisti has been reported as saying ""We are not upset the Christians have left and we will be pleased if they don't come back".

This is nearly what I always thought when I heard people talk about the rapture.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 05:19:59 PM »

I am still against the blasphemy law (specifically because we know that such abuses of it do go on; here is finally evidence that the authorities cannot ignore!), but in this case I have to say, it couldn't be happening to a more deserving guy.

There may be a great deal more to the story than has come out...  Wink

Edit: But yeah, you're right.  Dude's a scumbag, regardless.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:24:31 PM by Cognomen » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 09:44:40 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Breaking news regarding this case: A local Imam, Khalid Chisti, has been arrested on charges of blasphemy for planting the burned pages of the Qur'an among the items carried by the prosecuted girl in order to force local Christians to flee the area in the ensuing violence. Watch the BBC report here.

Mr. Chisti has been reported as saying ""We are not upset the Christians have left and we will be pleased if they don't come back" (source)

Now there is the possibility that he may have to fear for his life, being prosecuted under the same blasphemy law that he conspired to have the poor young girl prosecuted under. I am still against the blasphemy law (specifically because we know that such abuses of it do go on; here is finally evidence that the authorities cannot ignore!), but in this case I have to say, it couldn't be happening to a more deserving guy.

I'm sure the Imam is banking on the reality that no one in Pakistan courts has ever actually been executed under the blasphemy laws, they are realistically more like a political pandering tool for the Pakistani government.  The real problem with the blasphemy laws is they do in fact encourage extremists and hatemongers to form lynch mobs and execute vigilante justice similar in vein to the KKK of olde.  While the Pakistani courts have yet to execute a single person under the laws, it is estimated by several NGOs that several hundred people have been murdered by lynch mobs or vigilantes.  Some of them have been accused Christians, others minority sect Muslims, and quite often just personal vendettas having little to do with any semblance of Islam.  This is also partly what fueled some of the racial lynching in the US, sometimes folks were taking advantage of the community's prejudices to pursue more personal vendettas, which is what some studies about blasphemy laws in Pakistan have also suggested.

For instance, I recall another thread about a Christian boy who was murdered after being accused by the blasphemy laws, but one of our posters pointed out that later evidence revealed that the boy wasn't killed because he was a Christian at all, but rather even worse was raped and killed by   pedophile Sad

We must pray for ALL peoples whose safety and security is threatened by both these unjust and dangerous laws but more so the vitriolic prejudices which allow whole communities to allow vigilantism and lynch mob mentalities to continue unabated.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:45:22 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 10:08:58 PM »

Nothing new in Allah's desert! Soon they will officially identify Christians as people with Down syndrom, and exterminate them like their spiritual brothers did in Nazi Europe. "Give a dog a bad name and hang him!" Poor girl!

I met a Pakistani businessman in Brussels a couple of years ago who talke enthusiastically about Hitler. He told me he loves him so much....I pitty the fool who cultivates freindship with such Muslims.  Shocked

Allah is the Arabic word for God and Arabic-speaking Christians use this name. We should not exclude people from our friendship based on their religion. Some of my family is muslim and many of my friends are muslim.

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Zenovia
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 10:10:11 PM »

Pakistani police arrested an Imam on Sunday over accusations he had planted evidence on a Christian girl accused of burning a Koran, allegedly to frame her. Witnesses say the cleric tore pages from the Koran and planted them in the girl’s bag.

­Imam Khalid Chishti had previously presented police with evidence that Rimsha Masih – a Christian girl believed to be 11 to 14 years old who may also be mentally disabled – had committed blasphemy by burning pages of the Koran. He was arrested on Sunday after witnesses claimed he had falsified the evidence.

“The imam was arrested after his deputy Maulvi Zubair and two others told a magistrate he added pages from the Koran to the burnt pages brought to him by a witness,” AFP quoted police official Munir Hussain Jafri as saying.

“They protested that he should not add something to the evidence and he should give the evidence to the police as he got it and should not do this," Jaffri said.

Chishti allegedly responded by saying, “You know this is the only way to expel the Christians from this area.”

http://rt.com/news/pakistan-girl-imam-evidence-168/
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 01:56:16 AM »

This is a positive development:

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2012/09/christian-girl-hailed-as-daughter-of-nation-by-senior-pakistani-cleric/

Chairman of All Pakistan Ulema Council vows to guarantee safety of girl accused of blasphemy if she is released from prison.

The Christian girl who was allegedly framed for blasphemy by her local mullah has been hailed as a “daughter of the nation” by one of Pakistan’s most senior Islamic clerics, who also vowed to guarantee her safety if she is eventually released from prison.

The heavyweight support for Rimsha Masih from the chairman of the All Pakistan Ulema Council, a grouping of Islamic clerics, is being seen as a remarkable turn of events in a country where individuals accused of insulting Islam are almost never helped by powerful public figures.

In a fiery press conference at a central Islamabad hotel, Hafiz Mohammad Tahir Mehmood Ashrafi, flanked by other senior clerics, demanded all the organs of the Pakistani state come together to investigate the circumstances surrounding the arrest last month of a girl who it is claimed has Down’s syndrome.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »

This is a positive development:

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2012/09/christian-girl-hailed-as-daughter-of-nation-by-senior-pakistani-cleric/

Chairman of All Pakistan Ulema Council vows to guarantee safety of girl accused of blasphemy if she is released from prison.

The Christian girl who was allegedly framed for blasphemy by her local mullah has been hailed as a “daughter of the nation” by one of Pakistan’s most senior Islamic clerics, who also vowed to guarantee her safety if she is eventually released from prison.

The heavyweight support for Rimsha Masih from the chairman of the All Pakistan Ulema Council, a grouping of Islamic clerics, is being seen as a remarkable turn of events in a country where individuals accused of insulting Islam are almost never helped by powerful public figures.

In a fiery press conference at a central Islamabad hotel, Hafiz Mohammad Tahir Mehmood Ashrafi, flanked by other senior clerics, demanded all the organs of the Pakistani state come together to investigate the circumstances surrounding the arrest last month of a girl who it is claimed has Down’s syndrome.

A ray of light in deep darkness.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: persecution Islam 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: