OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 05:35:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dating/Relationships/Marriage?  (Read 1531 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2012, 01:22:34 AM »

Adam and Eve were married and they existed before controlling lust became an issue.

Were they married or were they cohabitating?   Wink

The Bible calls Eve Adam's wife in English at least.

Good thing the Bible was written in English.  Without my morning coffee in me yet pulling out the text in Greek would be pointless, but in man European languages the words for wife / woman and likewise man / husband are the same. 

I'm going to call BS on most of this thread.  Marriage is a lot more than sex.  If I were to make a list of the five most important aspects of marriage, I don't think sex would be included.  To make a marriage work it takes humility, patience, understanding, communication and love - not the Hollywood fuzzy happy sort of stuff.   How unchristian to develop these virtues. 
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 01:34:34 AM »

Adam and Eve were married and they existed before controlling lust became an issue.

Good thing the Bible was written in English.  Without my morning coffee in me yet pulling out the text in Greek would be pointless, but in man European languages the words for wife / woman and likewise man / husband are the same. 

I'm referring to Genesis 2:24, which is about marriage according to the Gospels.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2012, 09:27:13 AM »

I'm going to call BS on most of this thread.  Marriage is a lot more than sex.  If I were to make a list of the five most important aspects of marriage, I don't think sex would be included.  To make a marriage work it takes humility, patience, understanding, communication and love - not the Hollywood fuzzy happy sort of stuff.   How unchristian to develop these virtues. 

You are talking about virtues, I am talking about reasons.  You can love outside of marriage.  You just can't screw outside of marriage and still follow the religion.  There is no canon or law or anything that tells me that I can only practice humility, patience, understanding, communication, and love within the confines of marriage.  There are plenty of rules and regulations saying you cannot have sex with a woman you are not married to.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2012, 03:45:39 PM »

You are talking about virtues, I am talking about reasons.  You can love outside of marriage.  You just can't screw outside of marriage and still follow the religion.  There is no canon or law or anything that tells me that I can only practice humility, patience, understanding, communication, and love within the confines of marriage.  There are plenty of rules and regulations saying you cannot have sex with a woman you are not married to.

Right, but these all develop with different nuances and subtleties between married life, monasticism and being single as a lay person.  At least for me my experience of marriage has been something deeper than being "allowed" to have sex. 
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 03:56:16 PM »

Nektapolic, what is your marriage like? If you don't mind me asking. How do you resolve your problems, deal with crazy feminine emotions and how/when did you know that your wife was the right woman to marry?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »

Nektapolic, what is your marriage like? If you don't mind me asking. How do you resolve your problems, deal with crazy feminine emotions and how/when did you know that your wife was the right woman to marry?

Ah well, that sounds pretty misogynistic.

One man at my Church said that women in Greece are desperate for American Orthodox men because of a dowry system or something and that if we made an add we would have hundreds of them trying to contact me. At first I thought he was joking but he was actually being serious.

I have been in Greece. You don't want a Greek woman, believe me. My friends and I joked that that's the reason why there are so many monks in Greece.

Don't feel offended if you're Greek  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 04:28:28 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 04:52:52 PM »

And what "crazy feminine emotions" would those be, pray tell? Huh

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »

Work on all of the Christian virtues, i.e humility, patience and love together.  Good communication is essential.  Be ready to sacrifice.     
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, you lack the proper φρόνημα

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2012, 05:43:21 PM »

How do you resolve your problems, deal with crazy feminine emotions and how/when did you know that your wife was the right woman to marry?

How to tell if a girl is God's match for you, using the Bible:

Is your girl a prostitute who abandoned you, spent all of your money, and had multiple sons by other men?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 05:57:36 PM »

Dealing with emotions - you get used to them.  Honestly.  Selective hearing helps.  I was in a relationship with a girl for the better part of three years.  The key to our near success was the fact that we lived within walking distance of a bar.  I don't know what I would have done without that bar.  I still go there sometimes even though I live on the opposite end of town.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2012, 07:42:01 PM »

James,
Bachelorhood loses its je ne sais quoi after a while.  Trust me.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2012, 07:52:02 PM »

At what age would you let your child begin dating?

What is the purpose of dating in your opinion?

What is the purpose of marriage?

Why do I need to get married?

Also, on the rare chance that I do decide to get married, how should I bring my religion into it?
When I think they are ready, not one second before.

To find a mate.

To give honor and glory to God and pass that to your offspring.

You don't, unless you really want to.  You are young.  Stop stressing about marriage.

You better!  Don't be unequally yoked.

If you aren't ready to find a wife, don't date.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:52:49 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2012, 07:56:10 PM »

Also, you may or may not figure out a specific female in some areas, but trust me, that only makes it harder.  Let them be mysterious.  Also, you will never understand them completely and they will never understand you completely. 
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: