OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 01:12:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who is the best hard rock/heavy metal band in your opinion?
Led Zeppelin - 14 (30.4%)
Black Sabbath - 7 (15.2%)
Judas Priest - 0 (0%)
Iron Maiden - 3 (6.5%)
Metallica - 1 (2.2%)
Megadeth - 1 (2.2%)
Dio - 0 (0%)
Saxon - 0 (0%)
Motorhead - 2 (4.3%)
Dokken - 0 (0%)
Queensryche - 1 (2.2%)
Helloween - 0 (0%)
Gamma Ray - 0 (0%)
In Flames - 0 (0%)
Nightwish - 0 (0%)
Kalmah - 1 (2.2%)
Children of Bodom - 0 (0%)
Rage Against the Machine - 2 (4.3%)
Ozzy Osbourne - 0 (0%)
Rush - 5 (10.9%)
Other - 9 (19.6%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best hard rock/heavy metal band  (Read 4387 times) Average Rating: 0
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2012, 05:17:39 PM »

Hmmm, no Pantera, no Slayer, pretty big omissions.  I voted Zeppelin and Sabbath.  Among new bands, I like The Sword.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Randa

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Non Sectarian

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2012, 06:03:33 PM »

For the 90s on, who cares.

Pantera???
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2012, 06:14:19 PM »

Hmmm, no Pantera, no Slayer, pretty big omissions.  I voted Zeppelin and Sabbath.  Among new bands, I like The Sword.

Yeah, seriously.  Huh Cry

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Randa

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Non Sectarian

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2012, 06:20:46 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Best of the 1970s

Black Sabbath

Best of 1980s

Guns and Roses

Best of the 1990s

Tool

Best of the 2000s

deftones

Y'all Nordic metalheads might just think I'm soft, but I'm from the crust punk era, our blast beats can beat up on your blast beats any day, but this wasn't a punk thread it was metal/rock Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

My list:

Best of the 70s:

Heavy metal: Black Sabbath
Hard rock: Led Zeppelin

Best of the 80s:

Heavy metal: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest
Thrash metal: Metallica, Slayer
Hard rock: Guns n Roses, AC/DC
Hair metal: Motley Crue

Best of the 90s:

Heavy metal: Pantera
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2012, 07:15:40 PM »

This thread is giving me elitist indigestion.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2012, 11:23:37 PM »

Best of the 2000s

deftones

YES.  the track of their new record sounds killer too. theyre one of my favs.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2012, 12:25:58 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Best of the 2000s

deftones

YES.  the track of their new record sounds killer too. theyre one of my favs.

I've been listening steadily to the deftones 1998 and I can't tell you how many people used to just simply HATE on them for no good reason whatsoever!  After White Pony folks started to notice, and after Saturday Night Wrist suddenly they became more accessible.  Thanks for the big up!  What is your favorite album?

They seem to have three distinct eras

The Adrenaline/Around the Fur rap rock era

The Self-Titled/Saturday Night Wrist more standard metal era

and now the Diamond Eyes post-rock album..

What I love about deftones is that they've matured and evolved, both musically and lyrically, where as so many bands become just another cliche of their sound.  I've literally grown up with this band, and they've seemed to grow up with me!

That new track is bad! I can't wait till November 13!! I simply CAN'T believe that after 20 years these guys still keep bringing out such great music! I wish Chi would wake up Sad
stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:30:51 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2012, 12:45:21 AM »

+1  Grin

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2012, 12:46:49 AM »

+1  Grin

In defense, Sabbath, Tool, and deftones ALL started underground and became elite because of their sheer talent

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2012, 12:50:09 AM »

+1  Grin

In defense, Sabbath, Tool, and deftones ALL started underground and became elite because of their sheer talent

stay blessed,
habte selassie

They (the bands) aren't who is being elite...  though for me it was mostly the Pantera stuff that got to me... but to each their own...  Cool

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2012, 08:25:16 AM »

Venom sucks and always has. Celtic Frost has some winners, but the fact that you exclude Bathory, Tormentor, and Sarcofago reveals that you are a false. No entry.

Oh, I hate Venom too. Those guys gave me the creeps!  Always stayed away from them & the King Diamond/Merciful Fate stuff. Loved Slayer, they're "satanic" stufff was more schtick so it didn't really bother me.

The exclusion of those other bands only indicates I'm old & set in my ways. Like the hippie who never got past the 60s, for me the metal that I knew died a painful death in the 90s.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2012, 09:12:42 AM »

Best of the 2000s

deftones

YES.  the track of their new record sounds killer too. theyre one of my favs.

I've been listening steadily to the deftones 1998 and I can't tell you how many people used to just simply HATE on them for no good reason whatsoever!  After White Pony folks started to notice, and after Saturday Night Wrist suddenly they became more accessible.  Thanks for the big up!  What is your favorite album?

They seem to have three distinct eras

The Adrenaline/Around the Fur rap rock era

The Self-Titled/Saturday Night Wrist more standard metal era

and now the Diamond Eyes post-rock album..

What I love about deftones is that they've matured and evolved, both musically and lyrically, where as so many bands become just another cliche of their sound.  I've literally grown up with this band, and they've seemed to grow up with me!

That new track is bad! I can't wait till November 13!! I simply CAN'T believe that after 20 years these guys still keep bringing out such great music! I wish Chi would wake up Sad
stay blessed,
habte selassie

Im one of those people who didnt get much into them until White Pony and it is def still my favorite. But I also got really into Diamond Eyes when it came out.  For some reason, I was a little slow getting into Saturday Night Wrist and some of the others. I went through a short phase where I didnt listen to them as much, but I came back around. Ha. If "Leathers" is any indication of how this new record is going to turn out, then it should be killer!! Im pumped.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2012, 12:36:18 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/deftones-unleash-angst-and-tension-in-new-album-koi-no-yokan-premiere-20121108

stream the entire new deftones record koi no yokan which comes out monday Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2012, 12:46:30 AM »

This is admittedly not my forte, but I'm going to say Thin Lizzy wins, because that's pretty much the right answer to anything.

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2012, 02:16:02 PM »

I'd like to give Chinese Democracy a shot

No...you don't.

I very like "There was a time" however I agree that album is not close at all to the previous ones.

That song certainly was not bad, I agree. I also appreciated one or two others, but some of the songs on the album were just strange. lol. I was not a huge fan of the title song as well.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2012, 02:17:02 PM »

Myrkgrav - Gygra og St. Olav

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGcoHRAhMCk

Forgive my sins.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »

Living Colour,

Living Colour, and

Living Colour.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 02:45:20 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2013, 07:27:25 AM »

No Blind Guardian? Anathema!

(Anathema are good, too, just not metal.)

Paradise Lost brought me back, years after the corpsepainters had driven me away. Nuff said.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Symeon77

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

'with fear and trembling work out your salvation.'

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2013, 11:35:12 PM »

Just stumbled across this thread and I gotta say I am mighty disheartened at the lack of love for the almighty Motörhead!  police

Where Christianity disappears, greed, envy, and lust invent a thousand ideologies to justify themselves.~ Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Abba Anthony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2013, 12:17:07 AM »

Just stumbled across this thread and I gotta say I am mighty disheartened at the lack of love for the almighty Motörhead!  police

Are you kidding? They didn't even mention Iron Butterfly

Proverbs 22:7
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2013, 01:04:01 AM »

There's a certain quote about Lemmy that I want to post, but I'm afraid it will violate the rule(s) about blasphemy.  Grin

Symeon77

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2013, 04:24:20 AM »

There's a certain quote about Lemmy that I want to post, but I'm afraid it will violate the rule(s) about blasphemy.  Grin

Roll Eyes Yeah I can well imagine. I'm afraid I'm not altogether unfamiliar with his less-than-erudite and rather embarrassing ramblings about the Christian religion, poor soul. But he seems a generally harmless old chap these days.  Smiley

Where Christianity disappears, greed, envy, and lust invent a thousand ideologies to justify themselves.~ Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Abba Anthony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2013, 07:29:03 AM »

The answer is very easy (at least for me): Metallica. And their great advantage (I know, for many people it's a great minus) is their diversity in genres: trash metal, hard rock, country, heavy metal, even we can say symphonic metal (CD S&M).

And it's my favourite music group.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2013, 07:31:48 AM »

trash metal

You said it, not me!  Cheesy Grin j/k

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2013, 07:48:59 AM »

trash metal

Yeah, I know, for some people Metallica ended up with the album Seek & Destroy (or more preciously with the song Fade to black btw is one of my favourite songs ever), or, in better case, with the Black Album, or with the albums after it. People so often were claiming the band is lost and as we can see, it's not true Wink

I was lucky that I was at the concert of "Big Four" of trash metal in Warsaw in 2010 and Metallica was the best of them; they gathered the biggest applause and you could easily feel that they're just better.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2013, 08:08:28 AM »

trash metal

You said it, not me!  Cheesy Grin j/k

Yeah, I know, for some people Metallica ended up with the album Seek & Destroy (or more preciously with the song Fade to black btw is one of my favourite songs ever), or, in better case, with the Black Album, or with the albums after it. People so often were claiming the band is lost and as we can see, it's not true Wink

I was lucky that I was at the concert of "Big Four" of trash metal in Warsaw in 2010 and Metallica was the best of them; they gathered the biggest applause and you could easily feel that they're just better.

I agree with you (except you mean thrash metal - trash is rubbish). I saw them at Milton Keynes in their Nowhere Else to Roam tour back in 1993 and it still sticks in my memory as one of the best concerts I've ever seen. All the supporting acts (especially Megadeath) were entirely awful, but Metallica's set more than made up for it.

James
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:09:28 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2013, 08:15:41 AM »

trash metal

I agree with you (except you mean thrash metal - trash is rubbish). James

Thanks to you I've seen what I'd written  laugh I always make spelling mistakes (in all languages) while typing and unfortunately the function "Spell Check" can't find out such error.

And now I know Asteriktos was referring to "trash" as "rubbish" not to some unfair theories about Metallica and its THRASH roots Wink

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2013, 08:18:59 AM »

I'm usually the one defending Metallica on this board, but you are working hard to change that, aren't you?  Tongue I love Metallica, but let's not push it too far  police

I agree with you (except you mean thrash metal - trash is rubbish). I saw them at Milton Keynes in their Nowhere Else to Roam tour back in 1993 and it still sticks in my memory as one of the best concerts I've ever seen. All the supporting acts (especially Megadeath) were entirely awful, but Metallica's set more than made up for it.

If you want to bash bands, at least learn how to spell their names Wink  I saw Metallica in '97 with COC... not sure who I liked more. Have seen Megadeth live twice and they kicked butt both times. My only complaint was that Mustaine played too many leads and I didn't get to hear Friedman playing enough.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:20:05 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2013, 08:42:07 AM »

I'm usually the one defending Metallica on this board, but you are working hard to change that, aren't you?  Tongue I love Metallica, but let's not push it too far  police

If you want to bash bands, at least learn how to spell their names Wink  I saw Metallica in '97 with COC... not sure who I liked more. Have seen Megadeth live twice and they kicked butt both times. My only complaint was that Mustaine played too many leads and I didn't get to hear Friedman playing enough.

I saw Megadeth live once. Dave Mustaine's voice is a little irritating after awhile, but the guy's skills are incredible! He goes from singing leads to playing leads, to playing complex patterns while singing, always without a single glitch. Respect!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2013, 08:44:00 AM »

Temple of the Dog

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »

Apologies for the inadvertent spelling correction. Unfortunately I find Dave Mustaine's voice entirely irritating (it needs no while) and Megadeth (now correctly incorrect) to be awful in general. In my defence, however, some of the guys I was with did like Megadeth (I was with a large group) and I was far from the only one saying that they were awful. Maybe sometimes they're better (though I still wouldn't be able to stand them) but that day they were shocking. The only good thing about the whole set was the way Dave Mustaine dealt with some idiot heckling him (he was talking rather than playing at the time). Having said that, though, thinking back on it, I believe Diamond Head were probably worse.

James
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:02:13 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2013, 02:29:36 PM »

Among the big thrash bands, Slayer was always better than Metallica and Sepultura was better than both.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2013, 02:09:40 PM »

Among the big thrash bands, Slayer was always better than Metallica and Sepultura was better than both.

Can't agree that Slayer was always better than Metallica. I was at the concert of the Big Four and Slayer had been playing just right before Metallica. Many people during Slayer's performation had left the space before the stage to buy some beer, pizza etc. and came back to listen to Mellica's performation.

I like probably only one (and most famous) song of Slayer - Raining Blood. As for the rest of their songs, they sound to me identically - as I say in Polish "rąbanka" (the term normally refers to fast and not precise way of cutting a meat, but it can be also used to describe the music).

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2013, 04:34:21 PM »

You keep speaking as though popularity decides who is better, but I don't think that's the case. I think Metallica was good at getting popular (even before One/Black album), Megadeth was good at technically interesting (if often disjointed) songs, Slayer was good at their whole evil shtick, and Anthrax was... er... Anthrax.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2013, 04:52:11 PM »

Megadeth was good at technically interesting (if often disjointed) songs

I still remember a journalist who interviewed Mustaine saying afterwards that 'he (Mustaine)is not a small-brained bigmouth; in fact he has too large a brain for his mouth. He'd need a mouth twice the size of his face to make perfect sense, so, if he sounds goofy at times, it's because there are too many ideas bottlenecking to come out.' Grin

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2013, 06:32:33 PM »

On a similar note, i just had a conversation with a friend of mine about a list of top five punk bands the other day. We could agree on (in no specific order) The Misfits, The Ramones, The Clash, and Social Distortion. He insists on The Sex Pistols as belonging on the list, which I think they contributed more to a popular image of punk than anything else. I would prefer to give the remaining spot to Operation Ivy for their influence on punk and ska that continues to this day and for the influence of what would later on come from the formation of Rancid from two of the members and the influence that Tim Armstrong has had through the formation of Hellcat Records.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 06:32:54 PM by Melodist » Logged

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2013, 07:27:19 PM »

I'm not sure if they were the best punk band per se, but the best band to come out of the old school punk scene was definitely Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2013, 07:45:45 PM »

My favorite punk bands tend to cross the line into thrash. Cryptic Slaughter, for instance.

Symeon77

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2013, 01:06:45 AM »

On a similar note, i just had a conversation with a friend of mine about a list of top five punk bands the other day. We could agree on (in no specific order) The Misfits, The Ramones, The Clash, and Social Distortion. He insists on The Sex Pistols as belonging on the list, which I think they contributed more to a popular image of punk than anything else. I would prefer to give the remaining spot to Operation Ivy for their influence on punk and ska that continues to this day and for the influence of what would later on come from the formation of Rancid from two of the members and the influence that Tim Armstrong has had through the formation of Hellcat Records.

What's the criteria for judging this?

I would say all of the examples you and your friend agreed upon fall pretty squarely within the pop/ punk formula (early Social D.-prior to Mommy's Little Monster- and the later, thrashier Misfits stuff notwithstanding) so I think this is narrowing the field a bit. Punk was diverse enough to include bands falling outside of this form. So I would concede that early Ramones were important for this form and The Clash were pretty important too, as one of the first (way before Op. Ivy!) to showcase country, dub and ska influence in punk. The others, though popular, I think were less influential as innovators. If we are speaking in terms of influence and innovation, I would say unquestionably The Stooges, particularly Raw Power- era, for their influence on what would become the early N.Y. and U.K. punk movements a few years hence. It's awfully hard to narrow down to five but I suppose my list might go something like this:

1. (Iggy & The) Stooges (Raw Power, 1973, in particular, as mentioned above)

2. Pere Ubu (first two singles from 1975... for their influence on later, artier punk and post-punk bands mostly. Joy Division were hugely influenced, as were Wire and Johnny Rotten- esp. pertaining to his work in P.I.L., and Mission of Burma- see below- to mention but a few.)

3. Black Flag (Pre- Henry era right up to Damaged, 1981, for their influence on the first wave of hardcore punk, and for basically giving birth to the form as we know it- Middle Class' first single, Weirdos 'Solitary Confinement', and Crime 'Hot Wire My Heart' notwithstanding.)

4. Discharge (early singles (1980) and Why?, 1981, for the huge influence on what would become known as the Crust, Grindcore, and Thrash genres... Amebix, Siege, Napalm Death, Septic Death, etc... heck, even Metallica, all list them as a key influence.)

5. Mission of Burma (Signals, Calls & Marches EP: 1981, VS. LP: 1982, for melding art-punk/post-punk, hardcore and early new wave ala Television. Their influence on artists as diverse as Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth, Fugazi, Unwound, early R.E.M. they helped spawn the 'indie rock' genre and what came to be known as 'emo-core', though not what passes as 'emo' now, which is a-historical, polished, dilletantish rubbish)

Like I say, hard to narrow down. But, FWIW, my subjective enumeration of a tentative top five. Velvet Underground- first album and White Light/White Heat- and first Ramones record should probably be here too, which would bring it to seven.

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2013, 10:23:03 PM »

Nice. Some good stuff there.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2013, 03:51:35 AM »

You keep speaking as though popularity decides who is better, but I don't think that's the case. I think Metallica was good at getting popular (even before One/Black album), Megadeth was good at technically interesting (if often disjointed) songs, Slayer was good at their whole evil shtick, and Anthrax was... er... Anthrax.

That's not only about the popularity. But, of course, Metallica has written more songs that people listen to them also nowadays. But it's also important they're more melodical, so deeper than Slayer's ones. As for Megadeth, certainly sometimes I listen to the, but they're not so great, maybe because of Mustaine's vocal. And as for solo parts, Metallica due to Kirk Hammet is very good. And I like Anthrax Wink I was positively surpsied by them at the concert.

Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2013, 12:37:54 PM »

No mention of Godsmack here yet?

Maybe not my nomination for best, but pretty damn good.

I always thought they had a hard driving sound and the lead singer has one powerful voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYjZK_6i37M

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2013, 04:31:15 PM »

Just a side note... I'm not really a Soundgarden fan, but I like some of their stuff. Never understood why "Black Hole Sun" was a bigger hit than "Fell On Black Days" which I love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySzrJ4GRF7s

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
peacenprayer

Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »

Mastodon
AAAAAAAW YEAH. \m/(>_<)\M/

Crack the Skye, one of my favorites by them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HY6AwtnxBM

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2013, 04:42:27 PM »

Nobody mentioned Turisas?

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: