OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 04:30:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: For the Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos does your church chant/sing the Lamentations of the Theotokos?
Yes - 4 (33.3%)
No - 3 (25%)
What are those?  Never heard of them. - 4 (33.3%)
Our parish usually doesn't have Liturgy for this day - 1 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lamentations of the Theotokos at your church?  (Read 1029 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: August 14, 2012, 11:34:35 PM »

In some Greek/Arabic churches, for the Vespers of the Feast of Dormition, the  Lamentations are chanted which are based off of the melodies sung for the Lamentations of Great Friday. These lamentations are relatively new in these churches though in some, particularly those dedicated to the Theotokos, they've become somewhat popular.  My parish chants these (our patronal feast is the Dormition of St. Mary) and I didn't know if anyone else did.

Here's a link for more information: http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2011/08/lamentations-of-theotokos-in-worship.html
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:37:43 PM by scamandrius » Logged

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 12:15:59 AM »

They sing them at the Romanian cathedral in Chicago, although at Matins, just like on Good Friday. They are pretty popular in Romania.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H76VFQNCr20
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:36:59 AM by augustin717 » Logged
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 12:40:24 AM »

They should be chanted at Orthros, but my parish routinely never has Orthros for this great and our patronal feast.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 02:15:04 AM »

Not my parish, but in the Greater Cleveland, Ohio area last evening, following Great Vespers, a relatively new tradition in the parish of the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church in Cleveland, which is celebrating its 100th Anniversary this year, the chanting of "The Praises of our Most Holy Lady the Theotokos and Ever Virgin Mary," were solemnly conducted.  It was a "monoecclesia," the 3 sister (daughter) suburban parishes participated and their presiding priests celebrated the Divine Services jointly.  These "Lamentations" are most moving!  The church was packed, standing room only---the church has speakers outside that can be heard in this inner-city, but redeveloping neighborhood.  After the chanting of the 3 stasis of the "Lamentations," a procession of the clergy and faithful processed around the church, following the Tomb of Theotokos and upon return to the inside of the church, the flowers that adorned the Tomb (Epitaphios) were distributed to the faithful.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: