OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 09:09:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exclusion of Eastern Catholic Churches from the Ecumenical Dialogue  (Read 18260 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2012, 03:56:19 PM »

Ah, I see. But why wouldn't we? We're Catholic after all.  This is what I do not get with Eastern Catholics, and I admit I got caught up in this.  We're trying to be like the Orthodox in terms of our theology on the Papacy (or lack of it for the Orthodox).  But the fact that we're Catholics we should be accepting these dogmas with no ifs and buts.  If we don't, then we should be Orthodox.  It is as simple as that.

And they are heresies. It is as simple as that.

And it is the opposite for Catholics.  That is why I said Eastern Catholics shouldn't believe what the Orthodox do about the Papacy, otherwise they would be heretics from the Catholic point of view.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2012, 03:57:35 PM »

So why are you asking such questions?

Yes, for a variety of reasons:for one, they are all in schism from their Mother Churches, i.e. the Orthodox, with whom they would have to deal with individually.  For instance, the UGCC is in schism (or rather heresy, but we'll leave that aside for the point at hand) from the Patriarchate of Moscow.  On the one hand the PoM has to speak with the Vatican with the other Orthodox Churches present, as no separate deal can be made with the Vatican that all 14 other Churches do not agree with.  On the other hand, regarding the UGCC, it has to deal with the PoM alone on its status: the Patriarchate of Antioch, for instance, has no business or concern with the UGCC beyond what it pursues in common with Moscow with the Vatican. Conversely, Antioch would deal with the Melkites, Maronites and Syriacs now in submission to the Vatican.

Which brings up another issue: if the "Byzantine Catholics" have to be represented at the Vatican-Orthodox talks, don't the Armenian, Coptic, Syriac "sui juris churches" with which the Vatican and the Byzantines are in communion, have to be represented as well?

I am curious as to what heresy you are talking about regarding the UGCC?  Is it her claim to be a Patriarchate?
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »

Ah, I see. But why wouldn't we? We're Catholic after all.  This is what I do not get with Eastern Catholics, and I admit I got caught up in this.  We're trying to be like the Orthodox in terms of our theology on the Papacy (or lack of it for the Orthodox).  But the fact that we're Catholics we should be accepting these dogmas with no ifs and buts.  If we don't, then we should be Orthodox.  It is as simple as that.

Or one can believe that neither the Latin nor the Orthodox have it quite right about the Papacy.  Not so simple.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2012, 05:22:02 PM »

Which brings up another issue: if the "Byzantine Catholics" have to be represented at the Vatican-Orthodox talks, don't the Armenian, Coptic, Syriac "sui juris churches" with which the Vatican and the Byzantines are in communion, have to be represented as well?

Yes, but there is a seperate dialogue with the Oriental Orthodox.

Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »

Complain to the Vatican.  For one, they insist that if a Orthodox apostacizes, he has to go to the schismatic sui juris.

On paper, in practice if an Orthodox wants to attend a Latin Catholic parish there is nothing stopping them and most do just that.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »

Yes, but there is a seperate dialogue with the Oriental Orthodox.

Good point. The Byzantine Catholics have just as much right to be at the dialogue with the Oriental Orthodox, as the Armenian Catholics et al have to be at the dialogue with the Eastern Orthodox.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2012, 05:36:12 PM »

Or one can believe that neither the Latin [Brad Pitt?] nor the Orthodox have it quite right about the Papacy.  Not so simple.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
choy
Archon

« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2012, 08:08:22 PM »

So why are you asking such questions?

Because I want to know.  Currently I am a practicing member of the UGCC and I'd like to learn about the issues other people see in the Church.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2012, 01:08:09 AM »

Ah, Peace.
A beautiful word for your first post in the Forum.

Peace to you too, dear Joab.

Fr Ambrose (aka Irish Hermit)

Dear Fathers,  Has anything happened in the Eastern Christian Dialogue that would be newsworthy?
Tags: ecumenism Eastern Rite Catholic Oriental Rite Catholic sui juris sui iuris 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: