OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 04:38:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 60 million dollar stadium for a high school football team  (Read 577 times) Average Rating: 0
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« on: August 08, 2012, 10:52:12 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/dallas-suburb-unveils-new_n_1756434.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

"Friday nights in the Dallas suburb of Allen are about to become even more larger-than-life, as the Allen Independent School District prepares to open a new $60 million stadium for its high school football team.

The 18,000-seat facility, which will house the perennial top-10 Allen Eagles, boasts NaturalGrass Matrix turf, a 75-by-45 foot HD video scoreboard and a customized weight room, not to mention a press room and private boxes that rival those of some college football stadiums. (See photos below.)"

Silly Stars
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »

Hey Gebre,

Heh remember that scene with Buddy and Tami over a proposed video scoreboard? It's like the stole the script!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:29:06 PM »

Guess they take their football seriously down yonder way ...  Lips Sealed

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 11:53:57 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Meh.. now you want to see something?

The three most expensive public high schools ever built are here in LA.  The cost of just those three? Over $1 BILLION, over $500 MILLION just for one Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:11:19 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Meh.. now you want to see something?

The three most expensive public high schools ever built are here in LA.  The cost of just those three? Over $1 BILLION, over $500 MILLION just for one Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
I like how there was more money put into the building than the teachers themselves. You know why pay teachers good money to teach our kids a quality education but wait this is America.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:20:13 AM »

Just goes to show how much the United States values brawns over brains. It is quite repulsive to be honest. Athletes who are intellectually impaired can easily get into great colleges via sports scholarships just because they are talented at sports but intelligent people with perfect grades still rarely get into a good college and have to work their behinds off. Likewise, intelligent people are generally frowned upon or teased in American culture as undesirable 'nerds' whereas jocks who could not count to five are portrayed as amazing, desirable people. And they wonder why our youth is in calamity.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 12:24:38 AM »

I like how there was more money put into the building than the teachers themselves. You know why pay teachers good money to teach our kids a quality education but wait this is America.

I see you've been to LA before Wink

Not to gripe politics, so let me clarify this is a statement of the logistical facts, not a persona or political opinion.  In California, and in LA County in particular, the Federal funding system favors building projects above paying salaries of teachers.  Again, I will not express my opinion (as an LA teacher believe me I have one Smiley ) but rather reiterate that these schools (in fact we built or modified over a 100 schools and it was one of the single largest Federally funded public works project in US history) were built because the Federal government funding system makes it easier to get moneys for public building projects rather than the more complicated part, paying salaries which is a mixed state and Federal and local and county thing combined.  LAUSD just was taking the money while it was there, and in truth, almost ALL of it was really well spent and the city looks almost like a different place.  Thanks America, we needed it.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:25:13 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 12:37:16 AM »

Just goes to show how much the United States values brawns over brains. It is quite repulsive to be honest. Athletes who are intellectually impaired can easily get into great colleges via sports scholarships just because they are talented at sports but intelligent people with perfect grades still rarely get into a good college and have to work their behinds off. Likewise, intelligent people are generally frowned upon or teased in American culture as undesirable 'nerds' whereas jocks who could not count to five are portrayed as amazing, desirable people. And they wonder why our youth is in calamity.
Yeah that popular jock at my high school who was the varsity quarterback was bagging my groceries the other day.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 02:21:37 AM »

Just goes to show how much the United States values brawns over brains. It is quite repulsive to be honest. Athletes who are intellectually impaired can easily get into great colleges via sports scholarships just because they are talented at sports but intelligent people with perfect grades still rarely get into a good college and have to work their behinds off.
Being a world class athlete may get you into the biggest state colleges, but there's still no substitute for intelligence and scholastic aptitude if you want to get into the great colleges, where, contrary to your misconceptions, athletics is not that important.

Likewise, intelligent people are generally frowned upon or teased in American culture as undesirable 'nerds' whereas jocks who could not count to five are portrayed as amazing, desirable people. And they wonder why our youth is in calamity.
You do realize that envy is a sin?

You also realize that, with the increasing importance of advanced technology, nerds are respected a lot more highly than they were 20 years ago? (I'm just starting to establish myself as a highly paid nerd at about the age when most athletes find themselves washed up. So who's laughing now? laugh)

Yes, growing up has given me a whole different perspective on life. You ought to try it some time. Wink
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:36:27 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 02:27:36 AM »

I got to wondering how much my high school's stadium would cost if built today as it's fairly nice for a small town. I couldn't find a total cost for it's original construction back in the 30s/40s. I found out that it seats 5200 though, which is sort of funny because that's double the size of the town.  Cheesy Apparently a few years ago they installed a new 43x38 scoreboard, which cost $115,000, and was paid for by advertising revenue.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:28:59 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 02:46:17 AM »

In some parts of the US, high school football takes the place of / is part of the local religion.  So in Europe, well traditionally at least, a small town would spend all its money building a beautiful church that would last generations, possibly centuries.  I suppose this is the equivalent.  I'd prefer a church / something artistic / architecturally significant or what have you.  It's their money though.   
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 12:12:38 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/dallas-suburb-unveils-new_n_1756434.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

"Friday nights in the Dallas suburb of Allen are about to become even more larger-than-life, as the Allen Independent School District prepares to open a new $60 million stadium for its high school football team.

The 18,000-seat facility, which will house the perennial top-10 Allen Eagles, boasts NaturalGrass Matrix turf, a 75-by-45 foot HD video scoreboard and a customized weight room, not to mention a press room and private boxes that rival those of some college football stadiums. (See photos below.)"

Why do they need that???

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 01:18:53 PM »

Why do they need that???
Likely because HS football is almost a second religion in Texas.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 01:28:10 PM »

Why do they need that???
Likely because HS football is almost a second religion in Texas.

What's the first, college football? lol

Forgive my sins.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: