OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:28:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help, with a source  (Read 485 times) Average Rating: 0
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: August 11, 2012, 08:11:54 AM »

I am seeking independent verification of information contained in an Orthodox encyclical

The encyclical in question is
"Encyclical of the Eastern Patriarchs, 1848 A Reply to the Epistle of Pope Pius IX, "to the Easterns""

In it they say...

"...witnessed by the great Basil (Ep. 48 Athan.) to be "the most venerable of all the Churches in the world." Still more, the second Ecumenical Council, writing to a Council of the West (to the most honorable and religious brethren and fellow-servants, Damasus, Ambrose, Britto, Valerian, and others), witnesseth, saying: "The oldest and truly Apostolic Church of Antioch, in Syria, where first the honored name of Christians was used."

I have looked at the cite www.ccel.org which gives documents by Church Fathers.

The 48th epistle by Basil begins...
Letter XLVIII.

To Eusebius, Bishop of Samosata.

I have had considerable difficulty in finding a messenger to convey a letter to your reverence, for our men are so afraid of the winter that they can hardly bear even to put their heads outside their houses.  We have suffered from such a very heavy fall of snow that we have been buried, houses and all, beneath it, and now for two months have been living in dens and caves.
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf208.ix.xlix.html

Am I missing something regarding the reference (Ep. 48 Athan.)?

Also, I can't find the letter sent by the second ecumenical council to 'the west'

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 08:46:01 AM »

I don't know about the "Ep. 48 Athan." thing. A short search didn't help solve the issue. Every hit that came up was just a quoting of the passage and of no help. But you probably already know that. Regarding the 2nd Ecumenical Council, the letter can be found as "The Synodical Letter" here, as well as here (apparently being from the witness of Theodoret), but with the translation being: "And over the most ancient and truly apostolic church in Syria, where first the noble name of Christians was given them"...

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 04:34:55 PM »

I am seeking independent verification of information contained in an Orthodox encyclical

"Encyclical of the Eastern Patriarchs, 1848 A Reply to the Epistle of Pope Pius IX, "to the Easterns""

In it they say...

"...witnessed by the great Basil (Ep. 48 Athan.) to be "the most venerable of all the Churches in the world." Still more, the second Ecumenical Council, writing to a Council of the West (to the most honorable and religious brethren and fellow-servants, Damasus, Ambrose, Britto, Valerian, and others), witnesseth, saying: "The oldest and truly Apostolic Church of Antioch, in Syria, where first the honored name of Christians was used."

Letter XLVIII.

I have had considerable difficulty in finding a messenger to convey a letter to your reverence, for our men are so afraid of the winter that they can hardly bear even to put their heads outside their houses.  We have suffered from such a very heavy fall of snow that we have been buried, houses and all, beneath it, and now for two months have been living in dens and caves.

Also, I can't find the letter sent by the second ecumenical council to 'the west'

My best guess is that it is this epistle which Basil wrote to Athanasius, which is being referenced: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf208.ix.lxvii.html

In it he writes:
No one knows better than you do, that, like all wise physicians, you ought to begin your treatment in the most vital parts, and what part is more vital to the Churches throughout the world than Antioch?  Only let Antioch be restored to harmony, and nothing will stand in the way of her supplying, as a healthy head, soundness to all the body.  Truly the diseases of that city, which has not only been cut asunder by heretics, but is torn in pieces by men who say that they are of one mind with one another, stand in need of your wisdom and evangelic sympathy. 

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »

I don't know about the "Ep. 48 Athan." thing. A short search didn't help solve the issue. Every hit that came up was just a quoting of the passage and of no help. But you probably already know that. Regarding the 2nd Ecumenical Council, the letter can be found as "The Synodical Letter" here, as well as here (apparently being from the witness of Theodoret), but with the translation being: "And over the most ancient and truly apostolic church in Syria, where first the noble name of Christians was given them"...

Thank you for your help.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 11:56:39 PM »

In it they say...

Letter XLVIII.

My best guess is that it is this epistle which Basil wrote to Athanasius, which is being referenced: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf208.ix.lxvii.html

In it he writes:
No one knows better than you do, that, like all wise physicians, you ought to begin your treatment in the most vital parts, and what part is more vital to the Churches throughout the world than Antioch?  Only let Antioch be restored to harmony, and nothing will stand in the way of her supplying, as a healthy head, soundness to all the body.  Truly the diseases of that city, which has not only been cut asunder by heretics, but is torn in pieces by men who say that they are of one mind with one another, stand in need of your wisdom and evangelic sympathy. 

Many thanks

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 12:04:32 AM »

In it they say...

Letter XLVIII.

In it he writes:
But I thought all we needed was St. Peter's junior see, Old Rome....LOL.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 03:55:14 AM »

It's all part of the wonder of Catholic apologetics - selective quoting and something is significant because it is

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: