OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 10:35:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gonna Visit a Church! :-)  (Read 1905 times) Average Rating: 0
CatherineBrigid

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

@MamaKatOrr
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »

Grin Greetings from my corner of ATL, y'all. Smiley Well, I'm still reading my way thru The Orthodox Way and am thoroughly enjoying it...as well as reading my Orthodox Study Bible and still finding it to be a refreshing re-discovery (or whole new discovery, maybe?) of the Scriptures.  

So... there's a Greek Orthodox parish about an hour North of me that I've been looking at online for quite a while (the homilies are posted online, and one of my priest friends - actually my Benedictine Prior - is really, really good friends with the priest of this church).  Not to mention the fact, that the priest of this church, like myself, actually came out of a Charismatic/pentecostal background and from all i can tell from sermon videos, Facebook interactions, and the emails I've exchanged with him, he seems to be very down-to-earth and relatable as well.  So while there are several churches that are somewhat closer... I think this is the one I'd feel most comfortable visiting.  

Anyway, long story short, I'm going to meet with the priest on Saturday, September 15 (the next weekend that (a) I'm in town and (b) my kids are with their father for the weekend), to talk to him and kind of get a look-see, or tour if you will, of the Church (since I've never set foot in an Orthodox church before, lol) and kind of get a brief explanation of what's what and where and all that fun stuff.  Extraordinarily kind and thoughtful of him to take time out to do this for me, for sure!!!!  Cheesy  

Sunday, September 16, I am planning on visiting and experiencing my very first Orthodox Sunday worship. :-) "Coincidentally" this also "just happens" to be "Back to Church Sunday" - a day that will be geared specifically towards people who have either been away from Church or who are seeking/inquiring, like me.  It "just kinda happened" that my schedule worked out that way, LOL.  Pretty cool, huh?

So, there ya have it... next step in exploration underway.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:44:57 AM by CatherineBrigid » Logged

http://www.SNMOC.org
(St. Nicholas of Myra WR parish)

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of his han
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »

Congratulations!

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Pan Michał
Elder

Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 11:53:45 AM »

Pleased to hear you are interested in learning about Orthodoxy, I'm sure that reading "The Orthodox Way" you know this already, but nevertheless I recommend you any book by bishop Kallistos Ware, as a former Anglican I believe he'll tell you everything you want in an interesting and transparent way Smiley.

And I second congratulations upon you going to see the Holy Liturgy!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:55:18 AM by Pan Michał » Logged
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »

Pleased to hear you are interested in learning about Orthodoxy, I'm sure that reading "The Orthodox Way" you know this already, but nevertheless I recommend you any book by bishop Kallistos Ware, as a former Anglican I believe he'll tell you everything you want in an interesting and transparent way Smiley.

And I second congratulations upon you going to see the Holy Liturgy!

Thanks! Smiley Once I have The Orthodox Way finished, I have the Orthodox Church on my bookshelf, just waiting for me to dig into it also. Smiley I'm a book nerd, LOL!!!!!!!! I'm really enjoying his writings... and everything I've read and studied over the past several months really resonates with me.

and until we meet again,
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 12:05:14 PM »

Thanks! Smiley Once I have The Orthodox Way finished, I have the Orthodox Church on my bookshelf, just waiting for me to dig into it also. Smiley I'm a book nerd, LOL!!!!!!!! I'm really enjoying his writings... and everything I've read and studied over the past several months really resonates with me.

Ah, the "Orthodox Church" is, IMHO, the best of his books that I've read (although i didn't read all of them). I totally understand your "nerdness", especially towards bishop Kallistos Wink. If you want there are also lots of video interviews with him and lectures on youtube.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 12:47:32 PM »

He's already a metropolitan.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:43:35 PM »

Good luck.. or have fun!  ... well I'm not sure what to say, but enjoy!  Smiley
Margarita
One

Faith: The Way
Jurisdiction: Texan

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 03:08:36 PM »

And you're on your way!  Now you shall go&see!

The Orhtodox Church, great introduction of the Orthodox Church!  I hesitate to read The Orthodox Way.  It's on the list, but I find myself dragging my feet with actually purchasing the book.  I have become comsumed wth reading Seraphim of Sarov/Rose, Theophan the Recluse, and the Holy Fathers in general.  I'm dancing the, century hop  Cool  I'm sure I will make my way back to Met. Ware.

In the meantime, enjoy the experience of Divine Liturgy Catherine!  Oh, wear comfortable clothing and most importantly comfortable shoes  Wink
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 03:11:23 PM »

Oh, wear comfortable clothing and most importantly comfortable shoes  Wink

LOL!!! Yeah, I have that at top of list, LOL!  Wink

and until we meet again,
Margarita
One

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 03:24:28 PM »

Howdy hey!  You're one step ahead of me!  After my first visit, I was truly able to rest all Sunday  Cheesy 
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 03:27:06 PM »

Howdy hey!  You're one step ahead of me!  After my first visit, I was truly able to rest all Sunday  Cheesy 

LOL I bet!!!  laugh Luckily, being the bookworm/internet nerd that I am, I read somewhere quite a while back about how the services are mostly standing.  Since I typically wear dressy high heels for work and church, that point REALLY stood out to me (no standing pun intended lol) as a note to remember! Roll Eyes

and until we meet again,
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 03:51:01 PM »

That's great news! Glory be to God you are attending your first service! It's truly an experience.

The first service I attended was an OCA church that had no pews whatsoever. I stood for Orthos and Divine Liturgy. My feet were killing me but my heart had found its home!

God be with you on your continuing journey toward Orthodoxy.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 03:54:40 PM »

I stood for Orthos and Divine Liturgy.

THANKS! Hey now that you mention it...what are the differences between these two? I know Eucharist is served at Divine Liturgy (correct me if I'm wrong on that) - but what's the other one all about?

and until we meet again,
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »

THANKS! Hey now that you mention it...what are the differences between these two? I know Eucharist is served at Divine Liturgy (correct me if I'm wrong on that) - but what's the other one all about?

Orthos or Matins is the morning service of the Church where prayers and psalms are chanted along with an Epistle and Gospel reading. Most morning services are an hour long.
 http://oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith/worship/the-daily-cycles-of-prayer/matins

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 05:06:14 PM »

You're right, I've forgot that. Now as you mention it, me and my priest are calling metropolitan Sawa a bishop in day to day talk Wink
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 06:14:48 PM »

You're right, I've forgot that. Now as you mention it, me and my priest are calling metropolitan Sawa a bishop in day to day talk Wink

Which leads me to ask....what's the difference? Smiley (don'tcha just love newbies who have no clue?? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL)

and until we meet again,
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 06:28:32 PM »

Which leads me to ask....what's the difference? Smiley (don'tcha just love newbies who have no clue?? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL)

Actually we are all newbies in a way, me myself I'm bombarding my priest with what seem to be trivial questions at least once a week, so it's more than ok Wink.

To put it simple - a metropolitan in fact is a bishop and yet he is superior to usual bishop - because a bishop rules over a diocese, and metropolitan rules over few dioceses, at least on paper. In the case of metropolitan Kallistos it is more of a courtesy title.

Like in army - you have to be an officer to be a colonel, but not every officer is a colonel. Ofcourse it's not exactly like that, but I guess you'll get the idea, maybe someone will have more clear answer.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:50:35 PM by Pan Michał » Logged
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 07:08:56 PM »

makes perfect sense, thank you!  Grin

and until we meet again,
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 07:13:29 PM »

makes perfect sense, thank you!  Grin

Always happy to help Wink
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 08:08:17 PM »

Just out of curiosity, which parish? I ask because there is a Greek church about an hour away from Atlanta where i converted 2 years ago.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 08:09:31 PM »

Just out of curiosity, which parish? I ask because there is a Greek church about an hour away from Atlanta where i converted 2 years ago.

This one: http://www.stsrni.org

and until we meet again,
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 08:12:10 PM »

That would be the same one

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 08:14:48 PM »

How cool is that!!!!!!!!!!!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:15:11 PM by CatherineBrigid » Logged

and until we meet again,
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 08:20:08 PM »

Orthos or Matins is the morning service of the Church where prayers and psalms are chanted along with an Epistle and Gospel reading. Most morning services are an hour long.
 http://oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith/worship/the-daily-cycles-of-prayer/matins

Thanks!!! That's cool.... I am familiar with the Benedictine version of morning prayers (Lauds, we call 'em) so i get that concept, totally. Very cool. Smiley

and until we meet again,
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »

That is awesome  Cool they were a small parish there and spoke Greek during the service buy they have service books available to help you along. I haven't met the new priest there but they are a good parish, and don't worry, there should be plenty of English.

How cool is that!!!!!!!!!!!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Check out my blog...
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 09:35:13 PM »

Congratulations ma'am Smiley Be sure to wear comfortable shoes for your first Divine Liturgy (Sunday worship service).

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 04:46:07 AM »

Grin Greetings from my corner of ATL, y'all. Smiley Well, I'm still reading my way thru The Orthodox Way and am thoroughly enjoying it...as well as reading my Orthodox Study Bible and still finding it to be a refreshing re-discovery (or whole new discovery, maybe?) of the Scriptures.  

So... there's a Greek Orthodox parish about an hour North of me that I've been looking at online for quite a while (the homilies are posted online, and one of my priest friends - actually my Benedictine Prior - is really, really good friends with the priest of this church).  Not to mention the fact, that the priest of this church, like myself, actually came out of a Charismatic/pentecostal background and from all i can tell from sermon videos, Facebook interactions, and the emails I've exchanged with him, he seems to be very down-to-earth and relatable as well.  So while there are several churches that are somewhat closer... I think this is the one I'd feel most comfortable visiting.  

Anyway, long story short, I'm going to meet with the priest on Saturday, September 15 (the next weekend that (a) I'm in town and (b) my kids are with their father for the weekend), to talk to him and kind of get a look-see, or tour if you will, of the Church (since I've never set foot in an Orthodox church before, lol) and kind of get a brief explanation of what's what and where and all that fun stuff.  Extraordinarily kind and thoughtful of him to take time out to do this for me, for sure!!!!  Cheesy  

Sunday, September 16, I am planning on visiting and experiencing my very first Orthodox Sunday worship. :-) "Coincidentally" this also "just happens" to be "Back to Church Sunday" - a day that will be geared specifically towards people who have either been away from Church or who are seeking/inquiring, like me.  It "just kinda happened" that my schedule worked out that way, LOL.  Pretty cool, huh?

So, there ya have it... next step in exploration underway.  Grin

Very cool indeed Cool

I concur with what everyone else has said regarding Met. Kallistos Ware's books and wearing comfortable shoes.  Have fun! Cheesy

Orthodox Christians or inquirers in Waikato/BOP, New Zealand - if you would like to share transport to an Orthodox Church or make contact with others in the area, send me a pm! Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »

That is awesome  Cool they were a small parish there and spoke Greek during the service buy they have service books available to help you along. I haven't met the new priest there but they are a good parish, and don't worry, there should be plenty of English.

I saw something on FB or the website, i forget which, where fr. barnabas just celebrated his second anniversary there.  His homilies are on front page of the website...i really have enjoyed them and look forward to meeting him and the whole experience next month.

and until we meet again,
Margarita
One

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 08:49:25 AM »

Well..... How did it go this Sunday?  I thought of at Divine Liturgy.  No pressure for a written experience, in your own time.

Just so you know, I'm thinking about ya!
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 08:52:55 AM »

Well..... How did it go this Sunday?  I thought of at Divine Liturgy.  No pressure for a written experience, in your own time.

Just so you know, I'm thinking about ya!

aw thanks! It's not for another month yet...meeting the priest on *Sept*15th for a talk and a tour; attending D.L. on Sunday the 16th of September.  Just happened to work out that's the one weekend our schedules synched up. Smiley Thanks for thinking of me! Smiley I will be sure to let y'all know. Smiley

and until we meet again,
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »

I saw something on FB or the website, i forget which, where fr. barnabas just celebrated his second anniversary there.  His homilies are on front page of the website...i really have enjoyed them and look forward to meeting him and the whole experience next month.

I live in ATL too, but I have never been to that parish.  I would certainly not want to discourage you from attending that parish, but there are also two Greek parsihes a little further south (since you said that one is an hour north.) There is Holy Transfiguration in Marietta near where I live, (http://www.holytransfiguration.info this is also where I made my first inquiry in to Orthodoxy) and there is the Annunciation Cathedral in the North Druid Hills area. (http://www.atlgoc.org/)

Then, if you ever feel like you have a hard time following along with all the Greek, youre welcome to visit my OCA parish in downtown ATL. (http://saintjohnwonderworker.org/)

You may already know about these, but I just wanted to let you know just in case.  And again, Im not trying to discourage you from the parish youre set on.  Just wanted you know about the others.  There are several more in the ATL area as well.  Good luck and I hope you enjoy the liturgy!  Im still pretty new myself to all of this, but I love it!!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 09:34:57 AM »

I live in ATL too, but I have never been to that parish.  I would certainly not want to discourage you from attending that parish, but there are also two Greek parsihes a little further south (since you said that one is an hour north.) There is Holy Transfiguration in Marietta near where I live, (http://www.holytransfiguration.info this is also where I made my first inquiry in to Orthodoxy) and there is the Annunciation Cathedral in the North Druid Hills area. (http://www.atlgoc.org/)

Then, if you ever feel like you have a hard time following along with all the Greek, youre welcome to visit my OCA parish in downtown ATL. (http://saintjohnwonderworker.org/)

You may already know about these, but I just wanted to let you know just in case.  And again, Im not trying to discourage you from the parish youre set on.  Just wanted you know about the others.  There are several more in the ATL area as well.  Good luck and I hope you enjoy the liturgy!  Im still pretty new myself to all of this, but I love it!!

Thank you! Marietta is way far from where I live...I'm an East-sider, LOL. Smiley I did know about the St John the Wonderworker website and have actually looked at it several times.  The thing that drew me to the one north of me was that my priest friend/Benedictine Prior knows the priest of the other parish really well... so when i dropped and email and said, "hey i'm a friend of Father So and So," it was kinda like I wasn't talking to a total stranger so much.  So, kinda like a security blanket, LOLOLOL!

Wouldn't mind at all visiting one of the others as well, so long as I knew someone there who could kinda help me get the hang of things. LOL!

and until we meet again,
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 09:44:57 AM »

Thank you! Marietta is way far from where I live...I'm an East-sider, LOL. Smiley I did know about the St John the Wonderworker website and have actually looked at it several times.  The thing that drew me to the one north of me was that my priest friend/Benedictine Prior knows the priest of the other parish really well... so when i dropped and email and said, "hey i'm a friend of Father So and So," it was kinda like I wasn't talking to a total stranger so much.  So, kinda like a security blanket, LOLOLOL!

Wouldn't mind at all visiting one of the others as well, so long as I knew someone there who could kinda help me get the hang of things. LOL!

Well im sure you wont have any problems at the one youre planning to visit.  I was originally going to the Greek church in Marietta, but what finally drew me to St. Johns was that they have liturgy every Saturday morning as well as a couple other times throughout the week.  This helped me because I work most Sundays and had a hard time getting to church.

Your first liturgy is an exciting time.  I remember that I honestly had no idea what the heck was going on, but for some reason I felt at peace and knew that this was where I belonged.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 08:33:27 AM »

I am really looking forward to it very much! Smiley

and until we meet again,
Margarita
One

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »

Oops, I got a little carried away  Tongue  Well I'm looking forward to your first visit, too  Cool
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »

Oops, I got a little carried away  Tongue  Well I'm looking forward to your first visit, too  Cool

LOL thanks... I am really looking forward to it.  Only 3 weeks left, LOL. Smiley I'd go this weekend (since my schedule cleared up and I'm now NOT going out of town Labor Day weekend after all) but the priest is on vacation and I'm SO not brave enough to walk in there totally by myself without having met him first and seen the place and all. Yeah... i'm a chicken like that... the joys of being an introvert... LOLOLOL!  Roll Eyes

and until we meet again,
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »

go this weekend, u know u want to!
there'll be lots of people there, probably even some of the same ethnic group as you!
some parishes in usa are quite diverse and have lots of converts.
so maybe even no one will look at u or notice u, so u won't have to answer loads of questions.
(not like being in the coptic orthodox in the uk, where not being pale brown is a big head turner...)
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2012, 04:37:50 PM »

I love Fr. Barnabas! But I also second Timon's invitation to visit our parish. Come this weekend, while Fr. Barnabas is on vacation. See, you'll know two people there already!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:38:53 PM by katherineofdixie » Logged

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »

Hmmm...there's a thought... Smiley  Grin I lost my job today (see the Prayer Forum for all the gory details) so I'm definitely in need of some serious God-time.......  (and yes, my current church has stepped right up and is totally 'there' for me and offered to help in any way possible while I'm outta work... making me feel just a wee bit like a traitor...tho I haven't gone anywhere yet, lol. *sigh*)... so yeah... I just might pop by after all..... Smiley

and until we meet again,
Nektarios_In_E.S.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church Diocese of Buenos Aires, Central and South America

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2012, 09:14:22 AM »

Dearest Catherine, I am a convert from roman catholicism.  Let me tell you, the first time that I visited an Orthodox Church, was for Vesper services.  I feel that this is a great way to introduce people to the worship of the True Original Ancient Church Worship as these services tend to be shorter than the Divine Liturgy.  I went to an OCA church so the Chanting was (Russian) Slavonic Style but in English, these tones a bit more friendly to a western ear, yet still, different, and I will tell you I completely fell in love.  "Blessed is the man, who walks not in the council of the wicked, alleluia."  Was the introduction to the service from Psalm 1.  It was so beautiful that tears began to break from my eyes.  I thought to myself: "this is what the roman catholic church is missing!!"  The service was everything that the worship of God should be: "reverential, solemn, sober, beautiful, inspiring, penitential, deeply rich in Biblical allusions, quotations and themes."  I knew that this was something special so after that experience, I went on the net and bought every book that I could investigating Orthodoxy.  I was a History major in college and I remember an Orthodox  Priest telling me: "we are the original, historical early Church!"  Well, you do not tell that to a history-major without being investigated, and the more research I did, I discovered, he was right!! In one of your comments you tell us that you worry about abandoning your old church because you feel you may be a "traitor"?  That is impossible when you are seeking The Truth.  Don't forget what the Lord has said about abandoning mother and father for His sake.  You are on that path, Holy Orthodoxy is ONLY for those people who truly, wholeheartedly seek The Truth are tired of all the inadequacies of their denominations or religions and realize how they lack in truth, worship, doctrine, correct worship (Orthodoxy, in other words).  What is important is what your soul is hungry for and not what John and Mary would say from your previous church.  I left many beautiful people from my roman catholic church but I am much more at peace in my mind and soul in embracing Orthodoxy.  I am a bookworm, by the way, I used to have over 1,000 but had to greatly reduce it since I moved homes a few times within the past 5 years.  Let me tell you, of all those books, I have kept 100% of my Orthodox books; that is how important they are.  The Orthodox Way by his Grace, Kallistos is a great book, though, if I may, I will tell you that the book that did it for me was:

"Being as Communion" by John Zizioulas.  This book is not an easy read and if you have good knowledge of the philosophy of Ancient Greece/Rome, it will help tremendously, especially the first few chapters.  Also, if you know some trends of philosophy, especially regarding Existentialism, it will help you as well.
This is one of the most beautiful and profound books I have ever read in my life.  After I read this, I asked myself: "how could this not be The Truth?" -that was my dilemma!! (Imagine that!!)  The book is highly profound and I would recommend that you attend at least a year of Orthodox Services, or a good amount and also begin to understand what is going on in the Liturgy as the Liturgy is not just going to dedicate songs to God.  This book helped me realize that ( get ready and brace yourself for this) being in the Liturgy on Sunday, the 8th Day, (Apocalypse 1:10: "I was in the Spirit on The Lord's Day."), the day "after" the number 7 (which is the representation of human perfection) you are actually entering THE REALM OF GOD; THE NUMBER 8 REPRESENTS; BEYOND NUMBER 7, BEYOND HUMAN PERFECTION: GOD'S TIME!!!!  In doing so, you are joining the heavenly Liturgy, you are being united into that dimension of God's Realm, you are partaking of what is going on in the Worship of Heaven.  Just like how you read in Apocalypse Chapter 4 and 5 about all that is going in heaven with the 7 Candles (Apoc.1:12-13), the Incense representing the prayers of the saints (5:Cool, the Witnesses in their white robes, representing the martyrs (Look at the Icons of the Saints in the Church to remind you of this), the 24 seated Elders, The singing of the Thrice Holy Hymn (which you will also sing in Church), broken Lamb (as representing the Communion, the body and blood of Christ;  the Divine Liturgy is that experience of Heaven!! It is what St.Paul talked about making things patterned after what was shown in the mountain (Exodus 25:40 and Hebrews 8:5), the Copy and Shadow of Heavenly things!!  You bring yourself to the Church to join what Ancient Christians did in the past (history), yet you do it today, joining God in "the present" for God ever lives in the present, and keeping in mind that Orthodox Churches are built "facing the East" because it is from the East that Our Lord God will come His 2nd time (St.Matthew 24:27), in other words: looking forward to the afterlife (the future), facing the future, being ever-expectant, living in the expectation of Our Lord God and Savior, Jesus Christ's 2nd coming: all of this, just imagine, you are partaking of that at the Divine Liturgy!!!!-How could this not be the Truth?

Also, think really well about this: The (Old Testament) Bible of the early Church, the Bible of Ancient Israel and of the Early Church, was the Septuagint (LXX), which is the OT in Greek!! (not hebrew, for the current hebrew bible was started in the year 500 A.D. and finished by 1009 A.D. by talmudic jews); this Greek OT was the Bible of the Early Church AND IS STILL the OT of the Orthodox Church!!!! There is only 1 Church in this planet that still uses, without chronological interruption, that OT Greek, and that is, the Orthodox Church!!! This was also a very heavy factor that just told me: "This is the Ancient, Early Church!"

I would love to recommend, a bit of an easier read, with many historical quotations by Early Christians, the following Book:
"EARLY CHRISTIAN DOCTRINES" BY J.N.D. KELLY.  I promise you, if you have not read anything similar to this, it will blow you away!!! (in a positive way).  Compare what early Christians say about their church (witnesses from the 1st to 4th Century) and compare it with what you see in the Orthodox Church today, and I promise you, it will give you big boost of reassurance.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Early-Christian-Doctrine/J-N-D-Kelly/e/9780060643348 
I have found it as cheap as $7.99 from Christian Books Supply in the past but I think they sold out of this sale!!!

I could speak volumes of other books to recommend, or videos, audio material to help you in your journey, if you would like.  I hope my explanation here has not been tedious or boring for you.

I will keep you in my prayers for The Paraclete to continue helping you to convert your heart, to THE TRUTH, which is Holy Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:45:01 AM by Nektarios_In_E.S. » Logged
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »

I love Fr. Barnabas! But I also second Timon's invitation to visit our parish. Come this weekend, while Fr. Barnabas is on vacation. See, you'll know two people there already!

You know, I had almost worked up the nerve to visit... but then I realized I had a volunteer obligation at my church yesterday, and thus HAD to be there.  Drat.  Oh well...it's all good.  So... only two more weeks till I go visit Sts. RNI, as planned. Cheesy

and until we meet again,
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2012, 04:53:12 PM »

You know, I had almost worked up the nerve to visit... but then I realized I had a volunteer obligation at my church yesterday, and thus HAD to be there.  Drat.  Oh well...it's all good.  So... only two more weeks till I go visit Sts. RNI, as planned. Cheesy

Catherine, take it easy Smiley.  You're not going visit another Church, you're going visit the same God. Cheers Smiley
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:53:25 PM by Pan Michał » Logged
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2012, 09:11:49 PM »

LOL!!!! So true.  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh